A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,761
Currently Running With Scissors:
531 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Charity Blitzing 2007 - Anyone Interested?  (Read 14189 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lanark_Knitter
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006 10:46:14 AM »

what's really great is that Hugs for Homeless Animals allows us to choose a site close to where we are and donate. I get to give back to the shelter that allowed me to adopt my dog, Jack - how cool is that?!?

For those who will be contributing to the Lanark Mittens project in Sept., let me know if you want a US address to mail mittens to (it may be cheaper than sending them to Canada). I have family in up-state NY who may be willing to accept packages for me (besides, it gives me another reason to visit them LOL)

A giant thanks to you, Ooak_Diva for organizing this. You have a big heart Smiley

Tara
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm knitting as fast as I can - why are there so many unfinished projects in my basket?Huh??

Wanna swap? I would love to knit you something - let me know what you've got:)
selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006 01:16:04 PM »

I've got a few papers to finish from the semester - i'm saving fun knitting until those are done - and a swap knit to finish....... I should be all over them by mid - January - my husband and I are taking a mini-vacation that will involve hours in the car and thats the perfect project to take with...........
selkie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2006 01:26:44 PM »

What about Habitat for Humanity? Nothing makes a new house feel like a home than some homemade/hand-crafted items!

And, for January, where do we send the items? Directly to a shelter or to a specific person? (Edited: I just checked the site about the Snuggles- there is a local shelter I can donate to...)

I may try to start an after-school crochet club to see if we can get a couple of these made. If not in time for the January blitz, then definitely for the future! I have a bunch of crochet hooks and some acrylic yarn that the kids could use. Now...to find time in my schedule!

And, if we commit to one month, do we commit to all?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006 01:33:35 PM by craftADDchick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
ooak_diva
Livin' La Vida Loca

Champagne Dreams on a Beer Budget.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2006 02:03:26 PM »

For the Month of January you can donate to a shelter near you.

Lanark_Knitter I will probably want both addresses in Sept., one for US and one for Canada.  My personal goal will be at least 4 pair.

craftADDchick..yes for January donate a Snuggles to your local shelter.  That would be an awesome thing if you could start an after-school crochet club.  That is just a great idea!  And NO, you do not have to commit to all the months....you do what you can.  12 months would be great but sometimes life doesn't allow us to do that.  I would be willing to put Habitat for Humanity up....can you get us some info?

Thanks everyone!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2006 02:20:16 PM »

And NO, you do not have to commit to all the months....you do what you can.  12 months would be great but sometimes life doesn't allow us to do that.  I would be willing to put Habitat for Humanity up....can you get us some info?

Whew! I don't knit at all- my attempts have been...well...shame ful...- but I crochet. However, I don't think I'm ready to tackle mittens (sorry!).

I'm going to contact our local Habitat for Humanity (central MA) and see if they are willing to accept handcrafted items as donations. I'll let you know what I find out.

Edited to add: I just fired off an e-mail, which I may follow-up with a phone call next week if I don't get a response after the holiday. Hopefully, they are willing to accept donations of the crafty kind!

Possible things that could be donated (this is just off the top of my head...I'm sure there are more!):
We've moved! change of address cards
Quilts, blankets, afghans
Kitchen items- fridge magnets, crocheted towel toppers, coasters, potholders, plant hangers, decorated pots
Embroidered sheets and pillowcases
Throw rugs of some type, floor cloths, door mats
Stuffed toys for any children
Cool lamps, art for the walls
And who knows what else...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006 02:32:14 PM by craftADDchick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
Lanark_Knitter
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2006 03:50:30 PM »

some charities may want things that they can sell for fund-raising, too so if we can't find a charity to directly craft for, we can probably find another that will accept hand-crafted items for re-sale...

A local group that I volunteer with trains and gives service animals to people, free of charge. Because they are always looking to raise money to cover costs, hand-crafted items are very welcome. They host table displays at various events and sell them for a few dollars.
What we have received in the past are things like dog bandannas and knit dog coats - people like to buy, if they know that the $ goes to a good cause
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm knitting as fast as I can - why are there so many unfinished projects in my basket?Huh??

Wanna swap? I would love to knit you something - let me know what you've got:)
ooak_diva
Livin' La Vida Loca

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2006 05:57:48 PM »

craftADDchick and Lanark_knitter...bo th wonderful ideas!  Thanks so much for offering ideas, keep the ideas coming....I wanted to plant a seed and I need all the help I can get.

I am so happy that the Charity Blitzes are starting to take shape. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

untoherselfalone_2
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2006 07:29:22 PM »

My user name got messed up but I am untoherselfalone. I am excited and so happy that January will be for animals!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ooak_diva
Livin' La Vida Loca

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2006 05:01:05 AM »

My user name got messed up but I am untoherselfalone. I am excited and so happy that January will be for animals!

Me too!  I really liked the idea of animals and the Snuggles Project seemed so right!  I have really been into the Dog Whisperer Show lately and just realizing that there are so many animals in shelters that need love....wll....it just seemed like a great charity....thanks so much for suggesting it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shooting star
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2006 03:27:04 AM »

Something that I would be interested in, but would prefer it to be UK charities.

Maybe I could set something like that up for the UK folks among us.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swap Shop

wists

My crafting blog

I'm looking for cable afghan (tunisian) crochet hooks. Personal swap anyone?
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Prep Oily Skin For Makeup
KateBosworthSKII.Mov
Tips For Colored Hair, Lashes and Natural Lips
The Best Nail Art Tools for Under $10
Carly Rae Jepsen Hits New York City, Talks Beauty
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...