So, first i was gonna make an LBP, á la stopthefacades (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=107286.0
) but ended up making an LBD...
I'll have to try the pinafore thingy later
I must say, even though the dress isn't that complicated, I am very proud of myself because this is the first piece of clothing i have ever made completely without a pattern!
Anyway, here it is:
Front, the fabric is 100% wool and it's great for the cold winter
The bust-part is twisted.
God i hate myself
i promise things, procrastinate and eventually forget about them..
So, here goes:
1. The twisted bust part thingy: First I measured my bust from where I wanted the top of the dress to be to under my boobs
(kind of difficult to explain, I could put up better pictures of the dress and add some explaining arrows n shit
) well, then i kind of held the fabric i was gonna use over my boobs to measure the length from side-to-side over my chest. With these measures i cut a rectangle. (remember that you might wanna add a little extra for the width just to make sure you have enough fabric for mistakes in order to get the side seams symmetrical) REMEMBER: add seam allowances.
Now sew this rectangle into a tube (sew along the widest side). Then turn it inside out so the seam is hidden.Iron flat.
2. For the dress part i simply cut one big rectangle. The length a bit longer then i wanted it(because the "pleats" of whatever you call them lift up the dress a little bit..), just measure from under your bust down to wherever you want it to end and use this measure as the length(add more). For the width of this piece i first measured my circumference under my boobs and then added some extra for the pleats(can't really remember how much, but test with your own fabric until you get desired results).PLUS extra width for the zipper!
3. Putting them together: This was perhaps the most difficult part of the dress, but with a little patience there should not be a problem
I started by twisting the tube part (when the tube is laying flat, simply lift one end of it and turn it around so the upper corner is where the lower corner used to be - you probably get it, right?) and modelled it on my chest in order to see if it fit correctly and such. I also marked on the twisted tube where the side seams would be. now i just measured my back(starting from where the twisted tube part would end) to know how much of the dress part i had to save for the back - and how much i could use for the pleats. (REMEMBER: seam allowances in the back for the zipper!!)
4. On the twisted tube i had marked the side seams, so I cut and sewed similar parts for the back (this way you can choose if you want a regular back, or perhaps a v-shaped one?). However now that I think about it, this was a pretty stupid technique
it would be a lot smarter to just make the twisted tube part a lot longer...oh well....
5. Now I continued by attaching the twisted tube part to the dress part (with pins) and at the same time creating pleats in the dress part.(I made the pleats symmetrical) Finally the twist-bust-part and dress-part would be sewn together. (Dont forget to add the backtube-part if you didn't make a long twist-bust-part)
6. Now the dress is almost finito, so you just sew the zipper, I placed mine in the middle of the back.
7. The hem: This was not easy, I practically stood on a chair in front of the mirror and bowed down to pin the hemline until it looked even..all the pleating had made it very weird-shaped (this is why you should add extra length to the dress part!!) Then i just sewed the hemline.
8. Tadaa! The dress is finished
Some notes: -The dress-part does not have any side-seams
- i'm sorry if the instructions are a bit messy - i'm not that talented at explaining things :S
- I do think i've remembered everything correctly, however it is almost a year since I did the dress, so my memories are a bit foggy..
- when sewing the twist-part and the dress-part together the middle of the twist-part is narrower and this makes it a bit difficult, but I just pinned it carefully and wished for the best
haha, well it turned out fine, so don't worry
- If you have any questions, ask!