A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,699
Currently Running With Scissors:
561 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What I think might be brilliant! What do u think?  (Read 2960 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zephren
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2004 09:52:14 AM »

Hmmmmmm.... thats a good point.

booglass: Why paint the guns? Where were you going with that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elbow in the spine
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2004 10:12:54 AM »

a couple of articles you might be interested in on the subject
http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/news/s/24/24927_kids_in_toy_gun_amnesty.html

http://www.lionlamb.org/toy_peace.html

with real guns:
http://www.meltguns.com/pages/home.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2004 10:13:37 AM »

War is no longer shocking it is just become a fact of life.  I happen to think that here in the US the war is portrayed as a game without any real acknowledgment of the what it means to have soldiers and civilians dying or being maimed (spell ?) everyday.  It seems so distant and unreal almost like a movie or a story.  I think brightly colored guns communicate this effectively....the guns aren't real they are toys so why not highlight that fact.  B/c if the war isn't real to us I would guess the idea of peace is equally unreal. 

We can wear t-shirts, put bumper stickers on our cares and yes even vote for change.  But what can we really do to effect real change.  Has one thing I've done really made a difference?   I feel like a kid with the government as my parents who make the decisions and rules that I live by. 

So for me the guns being toys has a real significance...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

themagnificentjess
bitch extraordinare

eccentric - a.k.a. crazy in a fun way

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2004 10:23:27 AM »

be even better if you stuck an american flag behind it, since bush seems to believe we can acheive peace through war
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the only abstinence you should teach.. is to abstain from voting for Sarah Palin.
geedownie
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2004 10:25:36 AM »

One of the problems in the world is that we see violence every day and it's no longer horrible or shoking, which it should be. You shouldn't be able to see pictures of victims of violent attacks and not think how truly horrible it is. Desensitization is killing the future.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2004 10:50:03 AM »

zephren.......if you use the flag maybe your fellow craftster-ites will collect bail, that is we even know where Rumsfield puts you!  Did I say that......wow my cynicism is really showing through now.

Bonnie 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

retroeva
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2004 11:34:53 AM »

I really like the idea of the guns. I think however that making them into a peace sign might be a bit obvious. Or maybe the fact that it is so obvious is makes it subtle. (Warning, ex art major turned scientist begining to philosophise)
It is absoluetly wretched that war is so non-chalant in our society. we are censored so much that as an American, our minds have no true concept of what a war strewn country/society is. If you see a picture of an American suburb in shambles with smoke and a gun fight down the street, the majority of society thinks that it is a fabrication of Hollywood. That just doesnt happen here. A dear friend of mine has spent the last 9-10 months in Iraq watching the people he has had to force himself to get close to die before his eyes. This is the war that we are fightining. What is truly disturning is that the younger generation is growing up thinking that this isnt something that they have to deal with in life. We dont really have to oppurtuinity to take it personally unless we are directly affected by it (hey, join the army and see what it is all about). I really like the idea of the painted guns because to me it symbolises how "fake" violence as a whole is. Espically to children (who are drawn to shiny bright colored objects). The gun to them is a toy, a figment of imagination and far from the harshness of reality. Maybe if you could throw in some pictures of families a la "Leave it to Beaver" and soccer moms and all that fun stuff. I think I would really like that.
When I did a peice my freshman year we had to make a book, and in it I got some "happy family" pictures from any magizine I could get my hands on a progressively warped the pictures with "blood" splatters and the what not. Still one of my favirote pieces that I keep at the bottom of the bookshelf.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of domestic goodness:
http://www.domesticeva.blogspot.com

Craftsman/Victorian Home Swap anyone?
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=309948.0
zephren
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2004 01:30:32 PM »

Hmmm....... I see, I dont know about painting them however.... I mean I could just buy toy guns that dont look real, they are already brightly coloured. However, I could spray paint them all one colour and go for something monochromatic. I think it might also be neat to treat the board that I am gluing them onto with some sort of "blood" look. I could mix up a paint solution in water ballons, and burst them on the background so it would be all bloody, and then put the peace sign on top of that. I think that would look especially nice if the guns were all monochromatic. Hell, I could even paint the guns up in a flag motif. I think we are getting somewhere now.

Yeah... this is what Im envisioning...... a plywood background painted gray or off white, then covered with huge blood splats, then with a assembled peace sign made out of the guns, and the guns painted up to look like the US flag..... then with a tiny little bit of text that reads " born to kill".......

However, I dont like that if I paint the guns, they wont look like toys anymore, which is sort of the whole point. *thinking*.......

Well, what else could I use other than toy guns to drive home this juxtposition of condoning violece, while we teach peace? And fyi, for future suggestions, Id rather step around making it a statement about Bush. Im leaning more towards a social commentary on values, and as someone else hit the nail on the head by commenting on how war is just something that happens on our Television sets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fluffysam
i love whales.

sewing, sewing, sewing some more

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2004 02:55:47 PM »

I don't see how this became a Bush-bashing forum just because someone's making something promoting peace..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Sam

Fluffyland - A shop filled with handmade cuteness! Whales, Narwhals, Wrist Wallets, and more!
http://www.fluffyland.com

Fluffyland Craft & Sewing Blog
Photos & Tutorials & Haiku!
http://www.fluffyland.com/blog
zephren
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2004 03:08:40 PM »

It didnt become a bush bashing forum. Only one person made a tiny little bush blurb. I only brought it up because I want it to be clear thats not the message Im attempting to convay to my viewer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Styling Your Hair for the Prom
Summer Beauty Tips
How to Reinvent Your Look for Summer on a Budget
Male Grooming Tips
Hair Color Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...