A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,296
Currently Running With Scissors:
496 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: hand sewing a hem for a grade = CATASTROPHIC!  (Read 693 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lizzielou
« on: December 22, 2006 12:27:54 PM »

so.  here's the situation.

i'm taking clothing construction for my elective in school, and i'm making a black pencil skirt.  i'm SO close to being done - today i sewed on the hem tape and folded it under and pinned it, so all that's left to do is to handsew it there.  my teacher showed me a few of the stitches and then let me take it home to wear for christmas... but the problem is that i can't figure out the stitch now!!

it had something to do with locking the thread, and she said you use your thumb to pull the thread over at like a 90 degree angle (or something...) sorry i'm not descriptive!  i neeeed to get this thing done and i'm soo stuck... pleeease help!!!  if anyone can even describe using pictures that would be AMAZING !!!  once i finish i'm going to post pics under "completed projects" so keep an eye out if you can help me!! thanks sooo much!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jane2
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006 09:56:20 PM »

No pics from me - sorry.
But from what you've said - google for "blanket stitch".
(It might have another name but I can't think of it right now.)

[EDITED: buttonhole stitch is the other name.]

And that might not be what you mean at all.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006 10:05:37 PM by Jane2 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006 07:25:02 AM »

Is it a blind hem?  When I've done that before, I just basically did a slipstitch, but you might be thinking of something else.  Here's a website with illustrations of a few stitches:

http://www.sewing.org/enthusiast/html/el_handstittch.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
paroper
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006 12:29:17 AM »

There are several types of stitches that can be used.  I hope you found yours in the above post.  It is just a matter of the type of stitch the teacher prefers so it is hard to help you in this case.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sophisticated Hippie
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006 12:49:11 AM »

paroper is correct, it really depends on what your teacher prefers.  From your description of locking and 90 degree angle it sounds like it could be a blind catch stitch or a variation of slip stitch.

The link below is a pdf format and has some great pictures and explanations.  Page 4 has the blind catch stitch and page 7 has a slip stitch.
http://www.ca.uky.edu/fcs/FACTSHTS/CT-MMB-002.pdf

I tried to draw out the variation of the slip stitch that I use quite often for hems but I'm at about a kindergarten level when it comes to drawing pictures.

Working from right to left insert the needle from the underside at 1 on the hem allowance making a vertical stitch.  Place a small horizontal stitch catching a single thread from the skirt fabric at 2.  Loop the thread around (holding the stitch in place with your thumb to insure you dont pull the thread too tight) and come back under the stitch from point 1.  Then place another stitch with the thread being hid under the hem allowance and come up at 3, repeat the process as before.

I hope this helps rather than adding to your confusion.  This stitch locks the thread slightly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. ~Benjamin Franklin
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Korean Beef Stir Fry Recipe
How to Make Shrimp-Udon Soup
Classic Vietnamese Pho Recipe
Crispy Sweet & Sour Battered Chicken Recipe
How to Make Thai Fishcakes
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Toddler Teething Cookies
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
Everyone needs more fiber!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...