A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 304,876
Currently Running With Scissors:
818 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting Aches: proper posture suggestions?  (Read 2300 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rhiandmoi
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2006 02:14:39 PM »

Along with what other people have said:

1. Put a pillow or two in your lap to hold your work higher so you don't tweak your neck. If you rest your elbows on the pillow that helps too.

2. Try to keep your hands in a straight line with your wrists. If you have to, wear a rigid wrist brace while you knit.

3. If it hurts stop. You can get permament damage, which would be very bad.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
april_cocaine
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2006 03:14:27 PM »

I agree that circs are a big help. The weight of your project is on the cord, not your wrists. I only use straights if I'm working on something small and lightweight.

personally, i find working with circs much harder, and i often experience pain in my wrists when using them. i only feel comfortable using straights and i can knit for hours with them too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2006 03:41:00 PM »

i had bad wrist/ shoulder pain. I learnt to knit continental (actually, i'm  a bastard-child knitter that mixes up regular, continental and knitting backwards at will. luckily my gauge doesn't seem to be affected). That helped quite a bit.

Also, i get more pain the larger the needles/ yarn are. So for me, fingering weight is nice and comfy.

Thirdly, I started seeing a chiro (unrelated - my boyfriend's sister was a trainee, who needed patients). She massaged my forearms and they bruised like mad! so next time i went she whipped out a little flat stone thing called a gua sha/ gwa sha. She put oil on my arms, then rubbed with this stone so hard that these little bright red pinpoint bruises came up. Hurts like hell at the time, but afterwards it was SOOOOO much less painful. so every week i got a gwa sha session, and after about a month she couldn't bring up any bruises anymore, and i wasn't in any pain.

Turns out gwa sha is an alternative Chinese therapy (thanks google), though its effects were never explained to me in the context of stirring up stagnant chi. i was just told that the stone allowed you to massage really hard, which increased bloodflow to the area (hence bruises) and the extra blood helped repair tiny little tears in muscles. worked really well for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melosond
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2006 06:08:49 PM »

I find stretching frequently helps. Lean your head side to side, forward and back, massage your neck with your hands. SNBN has a couple of stretch recommendations, too. The only one I can remember at the moment is reach your arm out in front of you, palm down. With your other hand press your fingers back, stretching out your palm and wrist. Not too much, though! Make circles with your wrists -- anything that hurts, stretch often!

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hoxierice

Who knew tailoring was so much fun?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2006 07:35:46 PM »

And remember to keep your shoulders down, keeping your wrists and hands aligned for wrist pain. Anything you do should be done wit proper posture Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Goodbye Tucson! I will miss how everything dried so quickly!
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2006 06:08:13 AM »

i hold it that way too. does it seem like your fingers tire too quickly that way?
I grip them like handle bars (hand over the needles), all fingers supporting.  Most of my movement is from my indexes and thumbs.

No.  Are you forcing the needles through your stitches?

rhiandmoi,
I know an orthopaedic surgeon of 25+ years.  He has always said, if it's a joint injury, resting will heal it.  If your pain continues after resting, it's not an othropaedic problem, and you want to get checked out by the doctor for other health problems.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kitschkween
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2006 08:54:03 AM »

do all chiropractors do that? i would really like to try that!
i had bad wrist/ shoulder pain. I learnt to knit continental (actually, i'm  a bastard-child knitter that mixes up regular, continental and knitting backwards at will. luckily my gauge doesn't seem to be affected). That helped quite a bit.

Also, i get more pain the larger the needles/ yarn are. So for me, fingering weight is nice and comfy.

Thirdly, I started seeing a chiro (unrelated - my boyfriend's sister was a trainee, who needed patients). She massaged my forearms and they bruised like mad! so next time i went she whipped out a little flat stone thing called a gua sha/ gwa sha. She put oil on my arms, then rubbed with this stone so hard that these little bright red pinpoint bruises came up. Hurts like hell at the time, but afterwards it was SOOOOO much less painful. so every week i got a gwa sha session, and after about a month she couldn't bring up any bruises anymore, and i wasn't in any pain.

Turns out gwa sha is an alternative Chinese therapy (thanks google), though its effects were never explained to me in the context of stirring up stagnant chi. i was just told that the stone allowed you to massage really hard, which increased bloodflow to the area (hence bruises) and the extra blood helped repair tiny little tears in muscles. worked really well for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kitschkween
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2006 08:56:53 AM »

i'm not sure if i force through or not. how can you tell?
i hold it that way too. does it seem like your fingers tire too quickly that way?
I grip them like handle bars (hand over the needles), all fingers supporting.  Most of my movement is from my indexes and thumbs.

No.  Are you forcing the needles through your stitches?

rhiandmoi,
I know an orthopaedic surgeon of 25+ years.  He has always said, if it's a joint injury, resting will heal it.  If your pain continues after resting, it's not an othropaedic problem, and you want to get checked out by the doctor for other health problems.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kitschkween
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2006 08:58:13 AM »

you all have been so helpful. i ordered the Handeze gloves from Joanne's yesterday. I hope those and stretching will help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2006 07:51:47 PM »

For me, if I knit too tight, it's a struggle to get the second needle under the stitch, I might end up holding the stubborn stitch in place (thus the sore fingers--poking myself), and the color starts wearing off on the aluminum needles.  Roll Eyes Tongue

There's an article on knitty.com about loosening up your knitting stylehttp://www.knitty.com/issuespring05/FEATloosenup.html.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rustic Floral Arrangements for Easter
DIY Colorful Foiled Eggs for Easter
How to Make Decoupage Eggs
How to Make a Mini Easter Basket
How to Make Decoupage Easter Eggs
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...