A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 305,018
Currently Running With Scissors:
381 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting Aches: proper posture suggestions?  (Read 2305 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Hootsister
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2006 07:14:55 AM »

I recently went to see a massage therapist for aching hands/arm/shoulder and it helped tremendously.  In addition to the massage he recommended to take a bath with Epsom salts and to use an electric massager at home.  The one the massage therapist uses between clients is the Wahl 2 speed all-body massager.  I found it online for about $14. 
It is great to use on your hand and forearms (and your shoulders if you can get a partner to help out)

I love the suggestion to use circs, I 'm going to try that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sittenknitten
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2006 07:40:00 AM »

I had a lot of the same problems when I was learning to knit, and for about the first year. With the perspective of hindsight, I think I was just too tense, worried about making a mistake or dropping a stitch. It's easier said than done to try to relax when knitting, but I found that over time I've gotten a lot more relaxed  Cheesy about it and no longer have sore muscles in neck, shoulder, arms, hands, etc.

It may also be that I have built strength in the muscles involved (or tolerance, at least).

There are a lot of good suggestions here, I'd say keep knitting making a few modifications and see if you don't do better and better over time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sittenknitten
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2006 08:20:14 AM »

If you're aching, try looking at other things, too: how are you holding your needles, throwing the yarn, etc.  Some methods are more ergonomic for some people than others--part of why there are different knitting techniques.  I taught myself, because I know it'd tangle the yarn if I followed a more traditional method (mine is more of the combined/knitting heretic type than anything).

A friend swears I'm going to go blind, how can I deal with such small stuff. It made me think.  If anyone's getting headaches from looking at your knitting, you might be straining your eyes.  If necessary, get appropriate reading glasses for your knitting. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cranteach

I only wish I were as cool as my kid.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2006 08:24:52 AM »

somebody already mentioned Continental knitting, but I have to confirm it.  I used to have shoulder pain, and it stopped when I learned Continental.  It was worth the initial frustration. 

And plain stockinette projects may allow you to look up from the knitting more.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitschkween
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2006 08:36:01 AM »

any suggestions on how to hold the needles?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wolfette
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2006 08:52:14 AM »

I suggest taking a look at how tight you're knitting. If you tense up trying to keep your stiches tight, you'll feel it in your hands, wrists, shoulders, etc. I had the same problem when I first started knitting fighting to keep stitches on aluminum needles. When I switched to plastic and bamboo needles and I relaxed because I wasn't loosing my stitches, my knitting and my body were more relaxed. Also, expirement holding your needles in different ways. What may work for one person doesn't always work for someone else. Make sure you have good lighting and are sitting comfortably without a lot of distractions, and be mindful of your mood. For me, I can't knit when I'm really tired, distracted, crabby, etc. Hope this helps and good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wolfette
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2006 08:55:11 AM »

I agree that circs are a big help. The weight of your project is on the cord, not your wrists. I only use straights if I'm working on something small and lightweight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2006 09:18:33 AM »

I grip them like handle bars (hand over the needles), all fingers supporting.  Most of my movement is from my indexes and thumbs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pSTAT3queen
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2006 09:24:29 AM »

make sure you are relaxed when you knit.  i mean your muscles as well as your mood  Smiley
It is kind of like anything that you do that repeats the same motion (like sitting at a desk working on a computer all day), take frequent breaks and be aware of when you start to tense up so that you can focus on relaxing and maintaining a good posture.  I've been knitting for over 20 years now, always use straight needles and don't get any pain even when i knit for hours on end (or i'm so used to any tension/pain that i don't feel it anymore Wink).  Maybe if this is a new thing for you it will just take a little time for you to find out what works for you but try to just relax (so much easier said than done).  not sure if any of my ramblings will help but good luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitschkween
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2006 01:52:13 PM »

i hold it that way too. does it seem like your fingers tire too quickly that way?
I grip them like handle bars (hand over the needles), all fingers supporting.  Most of my movement is from my indexes and thumbs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rock a Gorgeous Updo for Short Hair
3 Super Easy Braid Styles
How to Get Long-Lasting Hair Volume
Get a Cute Gym Hairstyle That Will Stay Put
Serge Normant Shows You How to Look Like Sofia Vergara
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...