A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 304,881
Currently Running With Scissors:
720 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: knit bow-tie?  (Read 400 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

smurphy
« on: December 25, 2006 09:12:54 PM »

hey y'all, so here's my dilemma, hopefully someone will be super nice and help me? ive been frantically searching the internet for a pattern to knit a bowtie. i have found one that is so-so, and was wondering if anybody knew of any free patterns for a cute bow-tie for my ex-boy to wear at a wedding we're going to next week.  he lives in southern florida, so this is the only thing i can think of to make for him, plus he's my ex and i really dont feel like investing that much time/yarn into a project for him. we're friends and all, but...
i'd post a photo but it wont let me, so just imagine a cute blonde norwegian boy who's a beekeeper and loves to contra dance. adorable!
thanks sooo much for your help, i'll post pictures soon of the wedding present, a gorgeous knit star shaped pillow, as soon as im done!
love, sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006 10:57:50 PM »

Thought of doing this a while ago  I recommend borrowing one to compare the length (that's the more important part).  Here's a folded one http://www.clermontdirect.com/images/Burgundy%20Self%20Tie%20Bow%20Tie.jpg

another view http://stores.countywebsite.com/merchant2/graphics/00000007/gold%20navy%20bow%20tie.jpg

one untied on on someone http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~doubler/photos/gradball/real_bow_tie.JPG

I would recomend knitting the short way.  It's be a lot easier to adjust and knit than lengthwise.

The ends are obviously the widest part, from there you should be able to do an even decrease on both sides (see www.knittinghelp.com, go to Basic Techniques, then Decreases.  There are a bunch of options, pictures, and video examples to get the look you want). Probably when when you reach the width you'd like the neck strap to be, begin increasing again (if you look at the third pic, you can see it doesn't need to be rounded), and after the max width, decrease to your neckstrap width.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2006 11:01:19 PM by knittinfiasco » THIS ROCKS   Logged

dramageek
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006 09:24:56 AM »

This may be the pattern you already have (and I agree that it's so-so - I prefer a more shaped tie) - there is a knit bowtie pattern in the first issue of the Menknit zine:

http://www.menknit.net/mag.html

It's the Symphony Tie pictured near the bottom of the page. The zine itself is a free download and very cute!

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittinfiasco
A child of God

YHWH is my Daddy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006 01:32:44 PM »

That MenKnit pattern is for the long way.  Not as elegant, IMO.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cathy Erway on How to Find a Literary Agent Right For You
Eleven Days in August
Graeme Simsion on the Rosie Project
Mario Livio on Brilliant Blunders
Mary Higgins Clark on Her Writing Career
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...