A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
440 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting Aches: proper posture suggestions?  (Read 2134 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kitschkween
« on: December 22, 2006 12:21:03 PM »

Cry I try to knit at least an hour a day for my sanity, but IT HURTS SO MUCH!!! My arms tire easily. My shoulders are sore. My neck gets sore from looking down at my project. I think I have some serious carpal tunnel going on. The cramps in my hands and fingers use to go away over night, but not anymore. I love knitting, so I just push through the pain. I like to sit on the couch and knit while I'm watching t.v. or nursing my son.  Is there a way to prevent all this pain? I'm only 22 and I'm afraid I'll be arthritic by next year if I keep going at this rate.   Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

eulalia

Diva-in-Training

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006 12:34:24 PM »

I think you may be knitting for too long at once. Try knitting for 15 mins, take a brake, and then knit more.
You you get pain like this, you need to stop. It's your body trying to tell you that you've done enough.
I know there are glove thingeys sold at Hobby Lobby that I hear are very good for achy fingers and hands. Perhaps you should look into those.
After you back off the knitting, if you keep experiencing this pain, please considering seeing a doctor. Healthy knitters are happy knitters!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greenapples

I have a knitting obsessed baby boy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006 12:45:44 PM »

I actually used to have a similar problem - no matter if it was 5 mins or more, I would get terrible cramps in my hands and fingers, and major pain in my wrists - enought that I gave up knitting for awhile. Then, one day I was a store, and found some yarn I really loved, and decided to give it a go again. This time, I picked up a pair of bamboo needles - and let me tell you - it's made ALL the difference - no pain no matter how long I knit or where I sit. I also now have some Boye aluminum ones that I picked up at walmart because they're hollow in the middle :. light - no problems with those either! So, I would suggest maybe trying a lighter set of needles?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like something I've made? I'm always up for personal swaps - just send me a PM!
DisneyFan
I Love Disney, My Husband Loves Shakira!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006 12:53:11 PM »

I used to get pain like this when I first started crocheting.  Make sure you're actually comfortable in whatever position you're in.  I like to have my back supported, so often, you'll find me on the floor against a wall with my knees up.  When I first started, I put a couple pillows under my arms to support them.  Now, the only time my wrist hurts is if I'm using a small hook for long periods of time.  Make sure you're stretching your back and neck every once in awhile, too.  Too long in one position will make you stiff!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I took up running so that I could eat more, not because it feels good.  haha
kitschkween
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2006 01:02:08 PM »

i've been using those lion brand plastic ones. i should invest in bamboo.
I actually used to have a similar problem - no matter if it was 5 mins or more, I would get terrible cramps in my hands and fingers, and major pain in my wrists - enought that I gave up knitting for awhile. Then, one day I was a store, and found some yarn I really loved, and decided to give it a go again. This time, I picked up a pair of bamboo needles - and let me tell you - it's made ALL the difference - no pain no matter how long I knit or where I sit. I also now have some Boye aluminum ones that I picked up at walmart because they're hollow in the middle :. light - no problems with those either! So, I would suggest maybe trying a lighter set of needles?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fyberduck
the quacking fiber addict

I reject your reality and substitute my own

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2006 06:42:32 PM »

I find that if I have to knit (nearly always Wink) it's better to work on a project that allows me to look up and watch TV or something.  I get neck cramps (and then headaches!) all the time if I don't take care to not look down while I'm knitting.

Also, as for posture I find that sitting straight up is better than lounging for my lower back, but my favourite knitting chair is actually the family rocking chair, because I can prop myself back and manage to look at my knitting without  having to look down as much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the qfa:
unequivocally proving that knitting is not an intelligence test

Got a tape measurer?
Kittiker
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006 02:06:09 AM »

Another couple of things which might help:
- put a pillow on your lap and knit with your knitting and wrists supported on that.
- make sure you can see what you are doing. Is the lighting good enough or do you need glasses to see your work? This helps a lot with neck pains and headaches.
- A lot of people find switching between English and Continental helps . Just not on same project.
- Try to teach yourself to knit without looking at your work for simple patterns. This really just takes practice to manage and will help with your posture a lot.
- Don't knit when it hurts!!! It's meant to be fun. (but I do understand!!) Bear in mind that taking a short term break to help your muscles heal is lots better that permanently disabling your knitting bits!!
Hope this helps
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kitschkween
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006 05:52:51 AM »

thanks so much everybody. i hope it gets better. i'll try not knitting when it hurts. it'll be hard, but it has to be done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

natashafatale

HQ, my hat looks like a muffin. Over.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2006 06:50:10 AM »

Another tip we recommend at the yarn store where I work: ALWAYS USE CIRCULARS! If you are using long straight needles, your hands/wrists are bearing too much weight. Circular needles can always be substituted for straight knitting.

About carpal tunnel syndrome: My husband has it, and his doctor told him blood flow will help immensely. Get up every 30 minutes and walk around the room with your arms waving around and see if it helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

* * Gritty Knits! * *
Handspun yarn, spinning fiber, stitch markers & knitting accessories
kitschkween
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2006 07:00:59 AM »

i never thought to use circs! i actually never tried circs, but now i'm more motivated than ever to.
Another tip we recommend at the yarn store where I work: ALWAYS USE CIRCULARS! If you are using long straight needles, your hands/wrists are bearing too much weight. Circular needles can always be substituted for straight knitting.

About carpal tunnel syndrome: My husband has it, and his doctor told him blood flow will help immensely. Get up every 30 minutes and walk around the room with your arms waving around and see if it helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Living Iambic Pentameter
Sherri Browning Erwin Reveals Her Biggest Pet Peeve
Paul Malmont Talks About Jack London in Paradise
Tony and Angela DiTerlizzi Read from Big Fun!
Joseph Maroon Explains the Term Xenohormesis
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...