A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,048
Currently Running With Scissors:
473 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: my newest book purse!  (Read 14500 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

happypinkdino

Crafting makes me happy.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007 07:13:11 PM »

wow that's just about the cutest book purse!  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rosenbaum
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007 02:23:49 PM »

That's absolutely brilliant Smiley i love the star map at the sides, it's wonderful. This would work really well if you had a big dictionary as the main bag and then a pocket dictionary as a matching purse Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jolthind
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007 03:59:45 PM »

this is great. now i just have to find a Frankenstein hardcover!

good job
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stephieeb
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007 04:02:17 PM »

Very cool. I am definitely going to TRY this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jolthind
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007 08:49:57 PM »

how did you pull the pages out? one by one or just ripped the whole thing out?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tawnisw
Productivity is the key to wisdom.

Experiment, Practice, Learn, Teach (& sell often)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2007 06:12:31 PM »

Your tutorial is GENIUS!  THANKS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creativity is allowing oneself to make mistakes, art is knowing which ones to keep.
Scott Adams

preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'www.tawnismoon.etsy.com')

Stop by my website and tell me what you think by signing the guestbook!
maleficent
Down the Rabit Hole

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2007 12:54:09 PM »

how did you pull the pages out? one by one or just ripped the whole thing out?

oh i meant to put a note in about pulling out pages actualy. it's really really simple. if it's an older string bound book then there will be distinct sections of pages just grab a couple pages and start to pull gently, the rest of the pages in that section (even if you're not holding them) will start to give aswell reposition your hands and hold the entire section and just rip it out. and just repeate this for all the little bound sections. if it's glue bound then it's less likely to be bound in sections in which case just grab a few pages (maybe about a cm thick?) and pull. try to get them right at the spine if possible (pull them out rather than rip them off) and it's as simple as that.

now i've also found a way to peserve the pages of the book like if you want to read it or whatever. (i was thinking maybe if you want to sell book purses at a craft fair or something maybe have the coverless pages still bound together in a box marked "you cant judge a book by it's cover" or something like that and sell the books for like $1 or something for people that might be interested in reading the contents of thier purse....lol i dunno just a thought) anyways to do that just take an exacto knife and cut the entire binding out (slice along the spine between the cover and the first page on both sides) and all the pages will come out and remain together. the only problem with this method is that you won't have the nessesary 2 extra pages to sandwich things in between. a solution i've found for that is to take regular paper cut to the same size as the book and glue it to the spine of the cardboard before you glue the cardboard in. you don't need two pages if you opt for this though because you won't need to glue the first one to the back of the cardboard (this obviously won't provide the same support that gluing book pages to the back of the cardboard does as the "pages" that you made arnt' attached to the book only to the spine of the carboard to begin with) so just glue the spine of the cardboard in and use the back of the cardboard to fold your fabric around and stuff.

lol that was a really long answer for a rather simple question i think i ramble a bit. anyways i hope that makes sense feel free to ask for any clarifications.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind -Gandhi
gopoundsand
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2007 05:28:23 PM »

in stead of cardboard can you use stiff felt instead..? b/c im making one right now and i don't have any cardboard..

great job on your newest book purse!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
maleficent
Down the Rabit Hole

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2007 05:25:44 AM »

in stead of cardboard can you use stiff felt instead..? b/c im making one right now and i don't have any cardboard..

great job on your newest book purse!! Cheesy

hmm...i'm not quite sure what you mean by stiff felt. lol i'm thinking like craft felt that's....stiff? anyways i've never used anything but cardboard (we are never in short supply at my house) but i would think that anything that has the same rigidity (is that a word?) as cardboard would work. all the cardboard is really for is to keep some structure while you're making the purse. once it's all glued solid to the covers i don't think the cardboard does much of anything. if you are looking for some cardboard most places are more than happy to give away old boxes. stop in at a grocery store or a corner store or McDonalds and just ask for some cardboard boxes that thier products are shipped in (i worked at mcdonalds and believe me in a couple hours we would empty enough boxes of frozen fries to build an army of book purses out of) and it may seem like a strange request but it's really not. alot of people when they are moving will often go around and ask for cardboard boxes to carry thier stuff in. i hope that helps Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind -Gandhi
gopoundsand
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2007 02:52:49 PM »

heey.. thanks so much for posting this tutorial ! i had so much fun making my first book purse! I was the one who was wondering if it was ok to use felt instead of cardboard and the felt worked for me.. so thanx
here are some pictures of my first ever book purse.. with your help..

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Steps to Loose Waves
5 Steps to Hide a Grown-Out Fringe
5 Steps to a Grecian Twist
5 Steps to a Braided Updo
How to Stop Hair Static
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...