A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
555 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: For your holiday entertainment... (complete w/ photos)  (Read 1332 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheDishclothQueen
« on: December 19, 2006 12:44:37 PM »

My first, last, and only gingerbread house.

Mom and I were talking this year, and I was lammenting the fact that I had never made a gingerbread house ("What kind of childhood is that!").  So how serendipitous was it when her Secret Pal gave her a Wilton's kit for one?

This was NOT the fun, enjoyable, relaxing experience I imagined it to be.  When I followed the directions for the frosting, I ended up with this, this....mass of glop that was NOT going to come out of the decorator's tube they supplied me with.  To put the house together, I used my hands and glopped the frosting on that way.  To actually decorate, I thinned it down considerably.

Then, at no point in the process would the frosting, oh, I don't know, STICK to the gingerbread!  It was a disaster.  Mom's secret pal wanted to see pictures of the finished product.  I told Mom to tell her that I was 8 and mentally handicapped.  (Which is undoubtedly an insult to those truly handicapped!)

Also, I had somehow imagined that this was a family project.  Something you bonded over.  I'm not sure how that could ever work out, though, unless you were making a ginger-mansion.  My brother and I would STILL end up clawing our eyes out and breaking it if we tried to work together on this thing (and we're 21 and 23).

So, for your holiday amusement, I present my gingerbread house:

I got lazy on the back.  There were supposed to be widows, but as you can see, my windows look like crap, so I made lattice, just to fill it in. 

Oh, and for you additional amusement, do you know how many servings this is (according to the box)?

Wait for it....

wait for it....

almost there...

Okay, first of all, who actually eats the house when they're done, and second, 50?  Are they serious?  It looks like, maybe, 20 to me.

Anyway, feel free to criticise and giggle to your heart's content  Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007 11:16:50 PM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
RobertaMac
Space Putz

Bun In Oven

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006 12:53:20 PM »

Hey, honestly, it looks better than my first attempt at one of those suckers. I found out that the kits make it more difficult. I later on made one from scratch, and it turned out better then the kit house.
I wish I had pics of the gingerbread trailer park I did two years ago. Everything was edible, but we weren't going to eat it.. no way.
So yours only made me smile, remembering my first disaster.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tadpole due- November 2008!
Another craft project, home made!

My stepmother's apron site

Wist
MsChilePepper
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006 01:21:44 PM »

In theory, gingerbread houses are awesome.  In practical applications, however, not so much with the awesomeness and it's pretty much just a waste of perfectly good candy.

Some friends of mine do a huge annual haunted gingerbread house party around Halloween.  They use graham crackers instead of gingerbread, which works pretty damn well.  Last time I attended, I made Marie Laveaux's crypt, inspired by that year's trip to New Orleans.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I own power tools, and I'm not afraid to use them!
slb2724
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006 02:11:44 PM »

ahhh...the horror of the gingerbread house. we had to this today with 15 3 and 4 year olds. they each had a snack baggie of icing, all of which exploded out the top. talk about a mess!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.beadsnthings.etsy.com

"I've ot a jar of dirt! And guess whats inside it!"-Jack Sparrow
Scarah
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006 03:55:30 PM »

oi, i think it's cute! it's all nice and colourful... just the way i imagine the gingerbread house in hansel and grettle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tigrrrrr
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006 06:07:36 PM »

These little kits are a tradition for my husband and me.  We've done one every year since we started dating.  Some years we're even on speaking terms afterwards.

We're actually doing ours tonight.  Gluttons for punishment, we are.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006 06:51:22 AM »

oi, i think it's cute! it's all nice and colourful... just the way i imagine the gingerbread house in hansel and grettle.

It's funny you say that...b/c when I was making it, I thought, "If Hansel and Grettel had come upon this gingerbread house, they would have run the other way!"

But then I couldn't remember if the gingerbread house was in that fairy tale or another.  Guess it's been a while  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
ninosgirl
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006 07:44:25 AM »

I think you did a great job. With this being your first attempt at a homemade gingerbread house, it turned out great. My kids and i did our first one this year also but it was from a kit. I put ours on a foil lined baking pan so we also had trees around the house. I just used keebler christmas cookies for that. Your house turned out really nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Take the Best Selfie
How to Wear White Eyeliner
The 4 Best Products for Contouring
How to Choose the Best Makeup Primer for Your Skin
Introducing Sona Gasparian - Elevator Makeover’s New Makeup Expert
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...