A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making Ponchos.......? - Tutorial Added!  (Read 7192 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

meggywegsontoast
« on: September 29, 2004 05:27:43 AM »

Cheesy
Hi!

I was looking in shops for a poncho and saw they were like 30quid+ and I thought, i aint paying that much because basically it's a circle with a smaller circle cut out in the middle c  Shocked

Most of them are crocheted (spelled?) or knitted and whatnot, but i was thinking it would be possible to use any kind of material as long as it's thick enough?

perhaps a durable curtain with some kind of warm lining underneath?   

or is it just a crazy idear?  Shocked  hey.. don't steal it Cheesy   Cry

meg Cheesy!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2005 06:45:54 AM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
CaptainRiley
Dirty Pirate

Methinks it is like a woozle.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004 05:52:13 AM »

Judging by the 18 pages of results that come up when you run "poncho" through the search engine, no one needs to steal it.

There are a number of patterns to make fabric ponchos- Simplicity 4785, 5330, 5349; Butterick 3975; McCalls 4228... they're quite common, really, and any major pattern company should have one.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004 05:58:26 AM by CaptainRiley » THIS ROCKS   Logged

meggywegsontoast
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2004 06:08:31 AM »

Judging by the 18 pages of results that come up when you run "poncho" through the search engine, no one needs to steal it.

Calm down honey!  No need to cry over it.  Kiss

I should have mentioned that I had looked through the previous "18 pages of results that come up when you run 'poncho' through the search engine," realizing that 94% of them were crocheted or knitted, and the ones that were sewed, you had to purchase patterns.

I was enquiring for anybody that had previously made the kind of poncho that i was wondering about could give me any tips. 

And as common as they might be where you live, I've never seen the type that I was intending on trying to make.

peace and love

megan
x
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trufflegirl

chocolatiere extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2004 06:42:04 AM »

There are a few ways to make a basic poncho out of fabric (as opposed to knitting or crocheting one). I'm planning on making myself one, so I've been scouring the mall, looking at how the ridiculously-expensive store-bought ones are constructed. I've roughly sketched out two of the easier variations:

and

In both cases, there's a lot you can do with adding embellishments like beaded fringe or funky fabric flowers or what-have-you... I'm planning on using the second pattern for my poncho; I'll post pics when/if I get it finished. Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
indiaromeo
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2004 06:50:22 AM »

When you looked through the pages that came up in the search, did you see one that you liked? I know most of the results probably showed you a knitted or crocheted poncho, but maybe if you could point out one that you like a lot (post a pic or the link to the page), one of us could help you figure out how to sew a similar one.

Take a look at this pattern here: http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall03/PATTponcho.html. If you look at her instructions for putting it together, you'll see that it would be pretty simple to adapt her idea to a piece of fabric. All you have to do is finish/hem your edges and then sew it together, leaving a hole big enough for your head to go through. [Edited to add: this is the same idea that Trufflegirl just explained so nicely!]

I also found this link with a template for making a poncho with rounded edges: http://sewing.about.com/library/weekly/aa072904a.htm

I hope that's helpful. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely things for lovely people: www.indiaromeo.com
Because MALL is a four-letter word: www.thehandmademark et.com
Handcrafted adornments for body & home: www.thehandmaidens. com
meggywegsontoast
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2004 08:00:46 AM »

Thank you both, trufflegirl and IndiaRomeo.  Smiley

I will probably do something with the second pattern as well... they seem to be so easy and you can dress it up with whatever you like!

Thanks  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

hugs and love

meg
x
THIS ROCKS   Logged
maize

Let Love Rule!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2004 12:50:01 PM »

Check out my blanket to poncho on Crafster or at www.maizehutton.com/maizeprojects.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meggywegsontoast
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2004 02:05:05 PM »

yeah i saw that. it is gorgeous.

thank you very very very very much i will be shopping for old blankets now Smiley

love and light
meg
xoxoxox
THIS ROCKS   Logged
trufflegirl

chocolatiere extraordinaire

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2004 08:46:08 AM »

I'm planning on using the second pattern for my poncho; I'll post pics when/if I get it finished.

Finally got the poncho finished and posted --- have a look here (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=15162.0) if you're interested.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. --- Dorothy Parker
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Darken Background - A Photography Technique
How to Draw Brain (From Pinky and the Brain)
How to Createcustom Window Stickers and Repositionable Window Graphics
How to Create a Reflected Text Effect in Photoshop
Image Reflection in Photoshop - Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...