A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
October 5th News Announcement:  New Featured Projects posted!  Congratulate these artists for being selected!
Total Members: 308,401
Currently Running With Scissors:
429 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Take a Stitch Tuesdays... starts January 2007, jump in anytime you want  (Read 942 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: December 11, 2006 05:44:03 PM »

SharonB -- you might know her name from her very comprehensive online stitch dictionary or her  textile/art/i-couldn't-possibly-characterize-it-neatly blog at inaminuteago.com -- is heading up a year-long challenge to embroiderers everywhere. Each week she will introduce a different stitch and invite everyone to experiment with it, and she will also suggest different directions to explore with each stitch. You can do as little or as much as you want, at your own pace, and you can drop in or out when you want. It doesn't matter what your background is; all skill levels are welcome.

You can read all about it here:

ALong with some other craftsters, I've been taking an online class taught by Sharon, and it's been nothing short of extraordinary in the way it's expanded the way I look at embroidery and the possibilities in different stitches. I couldn't praise it, or Sharon's teaching, highly enough. I would be very sad that the class is about to end if this Take a Stitch Tuesday was not about to start!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006 05:32:26 AM »

Yep, I'll be along for the ride, too. It'll be a blast!

Also, if you have a blog, a website, a flickr account, or anything like that, you can post your weekly results, and sharon will be checking them out and pointing to them on her blog.

Without being "too challenging" (as in, pressure-causing), this will be a great way to challenge yourself to learn to explore different stitches for different results. And it's not just "ho-hum" embroidery, either - check out the examples of sharon's embroidery on her website: http://inaminuteago.com/embroidery/embroiderygallery.html

While it looks complicated, I am convinced that most embroidery is just a matter of personal application to the task - once you get the hang of it, you can do it! And then it become addicting!

For those interested, I have a video library of stitches online here: http://www.needlenthread.com/2006/10/video-library-of-hand-embroidery.html, which I will continue to expand, so you'll be able to see many of the basic stitches in video format to help you learn.

Of course, right now, the rickemrackemfrickemfrackem server is on the blitz, so I can't seem to expand right now. And just when the video problem smoothed out - I've herringbone stitch in the queue, and double herringbone shortly behind it.

Anyway, if you're interested,jump on board. The Take A Stitch Tuesday will be a fun way to explore embroidery and to expand your abilities!

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006 07:29:27 AM »

While it looks complicated, I am convinced that most embroidery is just a matter of personal application to the task - once you get the hang of it, you can do it! And then it become addicting!

I COMPLETELY agree with this line of thought! I've only been stitching since July and, while I don't consider myself a pro by ANY means, I've definitely come a long way.

I'll be taking a stitch on Tuesdays, too. (Wednesday, probably, for me, since I work on Tuesdays, which means being gone for 12 or so hours.)

- Misa
Out Of Control ATC'er

So In Love - 1 Year Together 22 Feb

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2006 06:18:10 AM »

maybe I can do this, it'd be a lot of fun. 

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mermaid Tail Blanket
October 19, 2016 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Vanilla Extract

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...