A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,805
Currently Running With Scissors:
522 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Glass Blowing School  (Read 1380 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« on: December 18, 2006 06:12:49 AM »

I'm majoring in glass blowing

OOOO tell us more about majoring in glass blowing! Where are you doing this? What is entailed?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lilfishyinbigblu
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006 06:28:13 AM »

well i go to art school out in the boonies of new york. pretty much its like any other major in the art world, i needed to take freshman foundations, sophomore year i had to take 4 diffrent art classes of diffrent medias, Jr year i can settle down into the two medias i love, and Sr year i will be mounting a large show. as for actual assignments sophomore year has been pretty basic, though our teacher doesn't try to limit us on our ability's to blow. our first project was just using solid work, and from there on in we were expected to actually blow our projects. Being an undergrad and going into glass blowing at least at my school is a life changing decision. my blow slots this semester were Wednesday at 5 am till 9, and Saturday 5 am till 11. to be able to get up for these i had to go to bed at about 8 and get up at 4 YUCK. it has really weeded out the people who dint want to continue though. Jr years blow slots aren't looking better either, they get a 5am to 8 am slot as well as an 11pm to 2am slot. personally I'm not looking forward to that because i am a morning person, i can easily get up at 3 and get lots of work done, but staying up late isn't something my body does very well. i think lots of naps will be in order. this summer to stay "in shape" I'm looking to intern at a studio by my home town, and teach in a smaller studio in the surrounding area. if you have any questions about glass blowing definitely ask me!
Jane
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006 05:50:08 AM »

I split this topic into its own topic since it was slightly different and so freakin cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mini
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007 03:59:12 PM »

It is really cool! I've always wanted to take a glass blowing class, but I have to admit, since I'm sometimes a bit scattered, I'm afraid I might touch the molten glass! I'm even a bit nervous about just trying lampwork.... which is too bad really. I love it!
Good luck to you & tell us more about your work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spoonymog
Jack of All Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007 03:34:09 PM »

Up North here we have something simailar at Red Deer College where it is a BoA in glass arts I think. My girlfriend was looking into glass blowing and thats actully the only resource we found close by. Which leads into my question:

do you know of any good introductory books for glassblowing? I would like to get her one for a present to go with a beadmaking book I found her.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Not all who wander are lost.
littlehajerika
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007 09:24:15 PM »

My sister is a glassblowing student and she recommended Edward T. Schmid's Beginning Glassblowing and Advanced Glassblowing

She said that she and the other students really like the tips, pictures and the funny way that it is written.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

menty666
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007 11:34:36 AM »

I've heard good things about this book too:

http://glassnotes.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
If It Ships It Fits: Prefab Everything With Method Homes
Smaller Is Better: Why Micro-Apartments Are The New Norm
Ergonomic Eatery: What Your Kitchen Says About You
A Room With a View: Bringing Personality to Home Design
Color Therapy at LAX: How Art Helps Passengers De-Stress
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...