A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 299,130
Currently Running With Scissors:
541 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Just getting started. Lots of earring pics and a question  (Read 1394 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NeedToBead
« on: December 18, 2006 04:36:10 AM »

I've been lurking for about a month and a couple weekends ago decided to try making earrings. 
I've been selling them for 3.95/pair and a couple of my friends are telling me that I'm underpricing them.  Please tell me honestly if you agree or if you think 3.95 is ok.

P.S.  You guys do some amazing work! 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Summer Lee
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006 05:10:48 AM »

At the local crafter/artist coop in my town there is a lady who makes and sells jewelry that is very similar to yours. She prices hers (retail) at $14.95 a pair. I bought several pairs from her to use as Christmas gifts this year, and I remember thinking that they were  inexpensive. So, to answer your question, yes, I think you are underpricing your earrings. Very nice work, just don't sell yourself short.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NeedToBead
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006 06:32:27 AM »

Thank you so much for the nice reply.  I guess maybe I am underpricing them.  I appreciate your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rockmygypsysoul
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Joker of All Trades, Master of Nonsense

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006 06:44:40 AM »

I totally agree-youre underpricing them.  Now, Im cheap and wouldnt pay 14.95 a pop-but thats mostly cause I dont have it, not cause theyre not worth it   Cheesy  But Id say at your next event or what-have-you, to prince them maybe somewhere in between-like 10 or so, and see what happens...if you get a lot of response you can try to bump it up the next time and then see what happens again, but the in between should at least guarantee you SOME success

but seriously, theyre great and you are definitely underpricing them.  good luck!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping up a storm here!  Totally open to personal swaps - I am always in need of awesome stuff Wink

Blog: www.alwaysbeenastorm.com
Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/alwaysbeenastorm
kacarrol
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006 07:31:09 AM »

I was selling earrings like this at a couple of craft shows and I was charging between $10-$12, and I was told that was cheap! Definitely charge more!

PS they are really nice, good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

umheried
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006 10:28:17 AM »

I WOULD UP THEM TO AT LEAST $5 & THEY WILL STILL SELL LIKE CRAZY.  GREAT JOB Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NeedToBead
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006 10:30:47 AM »

Thanks for all the input.  You guys are great! 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

fsuangelita
fsuangelita

woooooo-hoo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006 10:45:57 AM »

honestly, you should definitely charge more.  i believe that the $8-$10 range is more appropriate.  after all, just go to any store that has something similar (forever 21, wet seal, etc) and they go for around $8. 

beautiful earrings!  good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"'What' aint no country I ever heard of!  They speak English in 'What'?"
javastain
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

javastain

Hello MC

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006 09:05:25 PM »

I think it also depends on your venue... but a good rule of thumb, double the cost on your beads (so if you paid 2 bucks for beads and findings, make that 4) and add your time/labor... say each piece takes you 15 mins from picking up the first bead to bending the last loop closed... give yourself more than minimum wage, so say for easy numbers, 12 bucks an hour, that makes every 15 mins, worth 3 bucks... there you have 7 bucks (beads=4, labor=3). That is your minimum charge for your wares or at least a good starting point... now here's how I do things... sometimes you get a screaming good deal on beads, and other times your beads are super pricey... these items balance each other out, you can maybe Triple the cost of the inexpensive (NOT CHEAP, that's different) and add your labor, and on the more expensive beads you can stick to double cost add labor... did you follow all that? I hope this philosphy helps... it usually balances out all the different aspects of doing my craft, like gas/shipping/time purchasing beads etc. BUT if you have to pay for a table at a show, I always add a teeny percentage to each piece to help off set the cost of the show... I think your 8-12 range is right on target. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
NeedToBead
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006 04:27:33 AM »

Thanks again!  You guys are great to take the time to help a newbie.
I'm very much in love with this site. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rolling Raw Spring Rolls
Ingredients for Raw Spring Rolls
How to Make Raw Food Spring Rolls
Filling Raw Spring Rolls
How to Make a Raw Red Thai Curry
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...