A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,795
Currently Running With Scissors:
724 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: patches to coasters- HELP  (Read 808 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: December 17, 2006 08:07:00 PM »

I found some patches that used to be my dad's old police patches. I was thinking of making them into coasters for Christmas. Is there some sort of liquid enamel I could brush on top and it would harden?
I'm not sure how to go about doing this, but it seems like an easy project if I have the right material. Any help would be appreciated.
I'm thinking of using decoupage medium, but I've never worked with it. Can it adhere a fabric patch to cork??
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006 08:13:44 PM by kreo52 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hands up if you're over Twilight!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006 11:06:12 PM »

I would probably do a practise one first so you don't wreck the patches you want to use.

Any kind of resin should work. The decoupage stuff is a kind of resin.
If you use a cork or wooden coaster I would use some kind of flexible plastic (like they wrap around the sides of cheesecakes Cheesy) and make a wall around the edge of the coaster to keep the liquid resin in and then you pour it over the patch on the coaster (kind of like an egg-ring keeps a poached or fried egg a prefect circle).
This should give you a deep glassy look to your coaster too.

The only problem is you need to find out if your flexible plastic will be melted by the resin. Some plastics react and some don't. The easiest way to test the plastic is to put a dab of the resin on a piece of the plastic and check. Also you will probably need to wipe a tiny nbit of oil or petroleum jelly on the plastic so it will peel away neatly when your coaster is dry, otherwise it may stick to your coaster and then you'll have a neat coaster with a dorky plastic wall stuck around it! Smiley

Anyway that is one way it could be done. Maybe someone can come up with an easier way?

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006 11:01:57 AM »

Thanks! I think I will get some extra cork and just try it first with different scrap fabrics I have piled up. If they work I'll get some extra random coasters for me!   Grin

Hands up if you're over Twilight!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006 08:42:03 PM »

I would stand it all on a piece of oiled glass too. Just in case it leaks down between the plastic wall and the coaster. You don't want it permanently glued to the table top! Cheesy

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007 04:52:18 PM »

Wouldn't you have to sort of "seal" the patch first, since it may be porous?  You may not want air bubbles in your resin, but you could maybe use a heat gun to blow them out.  Just a thought.  Did you finish any?  I would love to see them.  I made resin coasters at Christmas, but used family pics (sealed first) on them.

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style a Side Bun
Michelle Obama Sports Brand New Highlighted Do
4 Top Celebrity Hair Trends Anyone Can Do
Best Products For Voluminous Hair
Bed Head Hair For Effortless Style
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...