A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,110
Currently Running With Scissors:
703 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: Oh-So-Easy Hot Pink Fur and Sparkle Vinyl Nintendo DS Wrap Case!  (Read 3089 times)
Tags for this thread: nintendo , video_game , ds_case , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ErikaW
Craft Whooore

'She who dies with the most fabric wins'

View Profile
« on: December 17, 2006 12:55:42 AM »

Oh-So-Easy Hot Pink Fur and Sparkle Vinyl Nintendo Wrap Case!

Ok crafty guys and gals,
After cranking out a few zippered Nintendo cases with a monster theme, I've decided to simplify things and go with my husband's sudden design inspiration last night.  The key idea here is *simplicity*, so were after minimal sewing and maximum utility (i.e., no zipper).

You will need:

2 types of contrasting fabric (I used pink fur on the inside and black fabric-backed sparkle vinyl for the outside) 10 inches by 16 inches for the inside piece and 10 inches by 17 inches for the outside piece

1 yard of small round black elastic cord (for the two closure bands on the outside and the game card holders)

The pattern was inspired by a paper towel as shown below the basic idea is that you fold the bottom third up over the game, the top third down over the top of that, and then fold the two sides over the center section and pull two attached elastic bands around the whole thing.  The high-tech pattern paper below shows estimated locations of game card holders (larger for the GameBoy Advance cards and smaller for the DS Lite cards, both of which can be used in the DS Lite console). 

STEP 1 Cut out a layer each of 2 contrasting materials with the dimensions shown below (15.5 in. by 9.5 in.)  Cut out an additional inch strip of the outer material as well to use as a center strap in the inside of the case.

STEP 2 Sew the center strap down after measuring it while it is fit snugly across the center of the console.

STEP 3 Use tailors chalk or a fine tip sharpie to outline the game cards on the right side of the outer fabric (see pattern and below).  Then cut short round elastic bands about 1 inch long and sew back and forth a few times over the ends just outside the game card outline.  I tried several configurations using a combination of diagonal holders and horizontal holders note that if you place the two card outlines right next to each other and place the diagonal bands closer to the card center, you can use the upper right and lower left  bands only to also hold the larger GameBoy Advance game card.  However, I chose to use an even simpler design with two long horizontal bands (center picture below) and one tacked down at the halfway mark again, so that you can use either two small DS cards side by side, or one larger GameBoy Advance card.

STEP 4 Pin right sides together of the two layers of fabric and pin in place.  Sew a small seam all the way around (about inch), but leave a small space about 2.5 inches open on the left side (see below):

STEP 5 Turn the corners to a point gently using a blunted pencil or a knitting needle.  Rolling the corners back and forth between your thumb and forefinger will help smooth the corner to a fine point:

STEP 6 Create the round elastic closure loops. Cut two pieces of round black elastic cord (each about double the length of the Nintendo DS game console.  Place the loops into the side opening, pinching together the ends and leaving about  inch of the loop ends buried in the side opening.  Place the loops such that when the case is folded closed over the game, the loops will be centered vertically along the side of the game console.  Sew a narrow topstitch seam all around the case edges to close off the open end and create a crisp and flat finish.

STEP 7 Place game inside center strap and insert game cards into holders after folding the bottom up over the game.  Fold the top down over the game and then fold the sides (left then right) into the center as shown below and secure with closure loops!

« Last Edit: January 01, 2007 07:50:29 AM by jMi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lover and doer of all things sewing, jewelry-making (beaded, wire-wrapping, Fimo/Sculpey), animal figurines, soaps, candles, herbal eye pillows and other spa-type thingies
castorella
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006 04:47:41 AM »

Wow! Nice design and I love the fabric! The sparklyness is perfect for the holidays, you won't be bored at the Christmas dinner table with this gadget! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xhazeleyes01x
"I am an agnostic; I do not pretend to know what many ignorant men are sure of. "-Clarence Darrow

"A healthy nature needs no God or immortality"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006 08:20:08 AM »

I loooooove this. The sparklyness is fantastic! That would match my pink ds lite sooo well  Grin

i need to make me one after the holiday rush has died downed. Happy day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Religion is something left over from the infancy of our intelligence, it will fade away as we adopt reason and science as our guidelines-B Russell
'God' is an image created out of man's insecurities-Wiegraf-Final Fantasy
Starkle, starkle little twink, Now it's time that you guys sink-Gilgamesh-FFV
ErikaW
Craft Whooore

'She who dies with the most fabric wins'

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006 01:35:58 PM »

Thanks so much for your positive feedback!  I have had that sparkle vinyl in my fabric stash for 7 years waiting for the right project...I picked it up at a 'specialty' store in the Haight-Ashbury district of SF years ago that caters to drag queens (they even carry size 13 sequined pumps and other oddities).  At first I was worried that the design was too oversimplified, but my husband has a good sense for being down-to-earth and not trying to make everything as complex as can be.  That and I hate putting zippers into ANYTHING!  Have a great holiday and get your sparkle on soon!
-Erika
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lover and doer of all things sewing, jewelry-making (beaded, wire-wrapping, Fimo/Sculpey), animal figurines, soaps, candles, herbal eye pillows and other spa-type thingies
TrashedClothing

You only wish you had a Yeti hat like me!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006 04:48:39 PM »

That is sick! I need one for my DS.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meronym

Once More, With Feeling..

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006 05:48:15 PM »

If only I had noticed this before tonight! lol
Great design, maybe, I'll do it as an after Christmas special lol

Love the sparkly design  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I must drink the fish oil..
meganxelizabeth
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006 07:58:58 PM »

I love this! :] I going to have to try something like this after Christmas!
Ohh, I spy sudoku.. My friends always laugh at me because i'm like obsessed with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ElleOhElle
social work, crafts, and pirate hippies.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2006 10:59:34 PM »

oooh clever! i think i might make one for the boyfriend since i borrow his all the time. thanks for the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
-Samuel Beckett  Smiley
raspberryred615
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006 08:08:06 AM »

very awesome! I love the sparkly and pink fabrics! very unique
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gammerus

Optimus prime owns you

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007 12:22:25 PM »

Brilliant! I was looking for a case to make my brother and this is perfect! I don't think I will use the same fabric tho Wink...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Layered Melt-and-Pour Soap
How to Make Confetti Melt-and-Pour Soap
How to Make a Summer Flower Arrangement
How to Make a Gift Bouquet Of Flowers
How to Make an Origami Bird Base
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...