A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,157
Currently Running With Scissors:
434 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: this shawl would be so pretty to make...  (Read 5028 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sugaree
.:loser:.

If I was a bed, I would stay unmade.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 28, 2004 03:30:00 PM »

but i'm not sure how  Sad

i just went into Free People the other day and saw this http://gcbstyle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=98121-6BEKUW1N0HP&Product_Code=FPshawlgrey.  at first (because i didn't see the manequin it was on) i thought it was a saucy little skirt.  Grin  then i looked up from the table it was on and saw it on the manequin and fell in love with it.  but i ain't paying no $59 when i can probably knit it on my own. 

i'm just kind of clueless as to what type of stitch should be used.  so far i've come up with "grey yarn knitted in a circle and add a ribbon at the end."  any suggestions?  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*shut up you know nothing know it all*~

.:when you wist upon a star:.  http://www.wists.com/sugaree
ctgirl
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004 03:41:49 PM »

That shawl is lovely!  It looks like it is crochet to me.....like an open shell lace with chunky yarn maybe.  I have made afgans with similiar patterns to this.

......goes to look for pattern
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jpants
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004 03:42:01 PM »

that looks like crochet to me.  you might want to try posting it over there. good luck!

ctgirl-looks like we posted at the same time.  funny, i've never had that happen to me before.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2004 03:55:21 PM by jpants » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugaree

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004 04:01:35 PM »

Embarrassed oh no!  not crochet...i still can't quite grasp the technique... Embarrassed

but i think you guys may be right, though.  however, i will not give up the search for an open-style knit pattern...yet Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

s8n8mygrandma
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004 07:23:18 PM »

you know making a knit pattern for that wouldnt be impossible. i mean, with slip stitches and increasing (or decreasing).... if i knew more about knitting, i could help more lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wandalynn123
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2004 04:43:33 AM »

I am in love with this shawl!  Has anyone found a pattern similar to this one? I love the ribbon detail! 

bumping this, hoping someone has found a similar pattern!

Wanda
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugaree

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2004 09:17:50 AM »

i'm with you, wandalynn123!  i want to make this shawl so bad it hurts Smiley

i don't think we need a pattern that'll be exactly the same; maybe just a link to some kind of open-weave knit pattern would suffice.  or even guesses as to what size needles to use and how many stitches to CO for sm, med, & lg.  (actually, that wouldn't be too hard to figure out - maybe i'll do that tonight)

but does anyone know any good sites that have patterns for different kinds of knit sitiches?  like just knit designs, not actual patterns?  does that make sense?

and one other thing, what kind of stitch would we have to make along the top of the shawl so that we could thread the ribbon through afterwards?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2004 09:38:57 AM »

I would say if you used some kind of SUPER bulky yarn, like Lion Brand's Chenille T&Q or Rowan "Big Wool Tuft" you could create something similar by knitting a row, then purling three together with two yarn overs between.  I'd definitely swatch it to see if you like it first, though, because even with a super bulky yarn, it probably won't work up to anything that LARGE.  (I think that looks like even a quad crochet, but it could be a bulky enough yarn that it's just a treble.)  You'd have to figure out how big you'd need it, figure the guage and make sure you've got multiples of three stitches. 

I don't know if it needs a seam, if it closes with that ribbon.  Anyway, for the bit at the top where the ribbon runs through, I'm envsioning some kind of picking up of stitches with a buttonhole type edging.  I don't know how it woud be done, really.  I think it'd be best just to talk one of your crocheter friends into making one for you.  :-)  I think it probably wouldn't take much more than one ball of a good super bulky yarn, and couldn't possibly take more than a couple hours to crochet.   In fact, I'd be up for making one if someone wanted to provide me the yarn they like best.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2004 09:43:44 AM »

Word of advice....Listen to Lothruin!!!!   She made the Bourne Supremacy Scarf from yarn to stitch!  Of course, I'm still knitting that 1x1 rib but I'll have my scarf done in no time!!!!! 

Boo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

greenchick

Enough to make a pearl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2004 11:42:51 AM »

I would agree with Lothruin . . . the crochet looks like a treble (maybe a triple treble) done with a bulky yarn. The top row, with the ribbon running through it, gives the best example. Crocheting isn't that bad, it just takes so much yarn!

Jill
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Gift In Failure
Author Sarah Lewis LIVE
Tapping Into the Creative Culture of East LA
Setting Los Angeles in a California Literary Context
The Many Languages of California
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...