A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
367 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafty Stores in Portland Area  (Read 13491 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kg2484
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007 07:08:42 PM »

Abundant Yarn and Dyeworks is also a good one, one of my favorites even though it is really out of the way for me (like 45min- 1 hour drive)  They also have coffee and munchies!!! YAY MUNCHIES!!
Knit Purl is another good one and there is a MAX line a block or two away.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rawr!
indie-knitter

new slang, when you notice the stripes...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2007 06:15:42 PM »

I know this isn't in Portland, but Boersma's Knitting Basket in McMinville is AWESOME and has a huge selection of yummy yarn.
I also like Yarn Garden and Northwest Wools in Portland.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

documenting my addiction to yarn and needles at http://www.indieknits.wordpress.com/

Will personal swap for Interweave Knits Winter '06! Please PM me if you have a copy!
kinderbean
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2007 09:41:22 AM »

indie-knitter you're from mcminnville (or around there)? That's so great, brings me back to my childhood visiting family friends around there... ok this isn't related to yarn stores I guess. I recently tried Close Knit on Alberta and it's so cute! A lot of stuff, although somewhat disorganized I thought. But they also had a lot of neat stuff I haven't seen elsewhere in Portland like Habu and the like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

h_pets360
crankypants extrodinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2007 11:03:15 AM »

Like a good Portlander human, I highly recommend you shop local and avoid the big box monsters whenever you can.  These are all Portland shops right now, unless otherwise noted.

General Craft
Knittn Kitten! NE 75th and Glisan.  Yarn, fabric, and notions.  It's a resale store where you can find some vintage fabrics and aprons too.

SCRAP 3901A N Williams (Williams & Failing).  Creative Reuse Center.  Papers, fabrics, random random stuff.  Cheap.  A good resource.

I've been framed on googlemaps: They're at 4950 Southeast Foster Road, Portland, OR 97206-3037(503) 775-2651‎

Craft Warehouse locally-owned!  there's one in Gresham, Beaverton and Vancouver.

Michaels.  There are several around but the only one I've been to is 11211 SE 82nd.

Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Superstore in the Eastport Plaza on SE 82nd.  They've got most of your general crafty needs met, plus a lot of craptastic premade stuff.

The Button Emporium and Ribbonry  They have buttons.  And ribbons.  No really.  A LOT of buttons.  and ribbons.  I found penguin buttons here that I couldn't find anywhere else.

Clay, Ceramics, Pottery stores
http://www.georgies.com/   756 NE Lombard 800-999-CLAY begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              800-999-CLAY      end_of_the_skype_highlighting begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              800-999-CLAY      end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Yarn and Fiber stores
Yarnia 4183 SE Division.  It's right by Kalga Cafe<3.  Custom yarn by the pound...
Twisted they have a huge selection of sock yarns.  2310 NE Broadway, Portland, 503-922-1150
Close Knit 2140 NE Alberta Street, snuggled up nicely with Bolt (see sewing supplies).

Gossamer 2418 E Burnside Street Portland Oregon 97214.  Has classes and crafty get togethers.

NW Wools in Multnomah village

Happy Knits New!  and near Yarn Garden.  1620 SE Hawthorne Blvd  503.238.2106

Yarn GardenSE 14th and Hawthorne

Knit/Purl 1101 sw alder.

Make One - out in Milwaukie, but close to the transit center.  They specialize in natural fibers, a terrific selection of Cascade but plenty of fancier stuff too. http://www.m1yarns.com/

Lint. 1700 NW Marshall.  Pearl District.  "not your typical yarn shop"  Huh  maybe I need to go in first, but the pictures look pretty "typical," which isn't necessarily bad. closed

Mabel's Knittery SE 30th and Division.  Classes offered.  Tongue  Mabel's is "just" a coffeeshop now.  Still welcoming yarn artists of all stripes though. AND it's called Tandem now.

The Naked Sheep 2142 North Killingsworth.  Skeins are organized by yarn thickness.  Yay.  Classes offered.

The Cozy Ewe 7th Street Oregon City, Oregon 97045

Tangle Knitting Studio 440 1st Street, Lake Oswego, Oregon :503-636-KNIT

All About Yarn 11945 SW Pacific Hwy # 111, Tigard, OR (it is in the same shopping center as JoAnn's around the back of the old J's building)

Sewing supplies

Cool Cottons 2417 SE Hawthorne Blvd. 503.232.0417  lots of cotton fabric for quilting or ____, plus oilcloth.

All American Fabric & Trim Co (google) 3604 SW Macadam Ave, south of the Ross Island Bridge.  Never been there, and they don't have a website.

Bolt Fabric Boutique 2136 NE Alberta St.  Small, but had an assortment of cute fabric last time I was there.

North Portland Fabric World 5300 N Lombard St, strangely has lots of old fashion (including shoes) with tags on it, and lots of fabric, lots of 70s trim with pom poms.  Nice saleslady who listens to mellow adult contemporary Christian music and hates cell phones.  
Then there's So far SW it's in Tigard Fabric World  12770 SW Pacific Hwy.  No websites other than google mentions for either.

Fabrics for Less 6940 Northeast Sandy.  No website of its own.  That's a Portland Tribe review.

Heart to Hand 4823 SE Division.  Focus on quilting.  Offers classes.

Fabric Depot 700 SE 122nd Avenue.  I would like to go here a bit more often than I do...

Fibers in Motion 7855 SW Capitol  Hwy.  A "quilt and wearable art store."

Josephine's Dry Goods 521 SW 11th[/url]

Mill End Store 9701 SE McLoughlin Blvd.  Fabric, yarn, notions.

The Whole 9 Yards 1820 East Burnside.  Specialty: interior design fabrics.

Canby Quilt & Fabric 248 NW 1st Ave Canby, OR 97013 (503) 263-3563

Bead Stores
Dava Bead and Trade

A Bead Source

Beads at Dusti Creek . 4848 SE Division.  They have classes.

Let It Bead
1426 Northwest 23rd Avenue
Portland, OR‎ - (503) 228-1882 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              (503) 228-1882      end_of_the_skype_highlighting‎

There is a place that sells incense and clothes as well as beads on hawthorne and oh, about 33rd.

Soap, candles, and bath and body supplies, thanks to MareMare <3  
The best place for bulk lye (smallest amount=9lbs for $20) and bulk oils for soap making is Bill Shay, he's on SE 82nd and Foster behind Fred Meyer's.  Not really a store front, but I have called, told him what I needed and been there in ten minutes to pick it up, and then once I got there and looked around, added a few things to my order. Great prices on coconut, palm and other base oils.

Also melt and pour soap base, some soap molds, specialty oils, etc. They wholesale to Brambleberry (outside Seattle) and Essential Wholesale (Clackamas) so Shay's prices are better and products fresher than buying from those companies, one less middle man to go through.

www.shayandcompany. com

Other Portland-ish area online soap suppliers that you can do will-calls at:

Liberty Natural (large orders only now--Oregon City) www.libertynatural. com
Essential Wholesale (kinda spendy--Clackamas, 82nd Drive right off I-205, 224 west exit) www.essentialwholes ale.com

Not sure if you can do will-calls:
Glorybee (Soap bases, additives, beeswax--Eugene) www.glorybee.com

Art Stores
MUSE Art + Design 4224 SE Hawthorne Blvd. 503.231.8704

There are like two on 82nd, on the west side of the street I think.

Thrift Stores AND Resale Stores that sell craft supplies
Value Village
Goodwill
Goodwill BINS
Village Merchants
House

Which stores will sell my stuff?
Village Merchant
R-something.  Reverb?Ricochet
Presents of Mind has local crafty professionals items for sale.

What about event type selling?
Crafty Wonderland
Rebel Rabbit
Also, check out events specific to your craft items.  Make flower arrangements?  Check out bridal shows.  Or whatever.  for example.  
See also
getcrafty's guide
I didn't realize Portland had a "fiber arts district."
AND ALSO: clicky map of crafty stores by Sister Diane of PDX's Church of Craft

this is a work in progress Smiley

« Last Edit: September 23, 2010 01:25:55 PM by h_pets360 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miyoko79: I think "be proud, young craftster blood" should be your new siggie

I've got a new blog!  Tell me how to make it better!

Support the <a href="http://www.craftster.org/subscribe.php">craftster way of life!</a>
tantrum
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2007 02:55:11 PM »

I live in between the naked sheep and close knit. At first i thought Close Knit was great, so many yarns and cute, but now i just feel overwhelmed in there. Plus there can be a little bit of hipster attitude. I love the Naked Sheep though, the woman who owns it is super nice and very helpful, plus their organization is nice as well- by weight. And you can win yarn credit if you display their bumper sticker.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If we resist our passions, it is more through their weakness than from our strength"
miyoko79

Sigh...it's too true.

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2007 07:52:08 PM »

Thanks for starting this!  I'd like to add "A Bead Source" at 158th and Division.  They're also connected to a stained glass supply store, and body piercing parlor.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It turns out they do make hats in my size. They are called "BUCKETS" and they sell them at the hardware store."
h_pets360
crankypants extrodinaire

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2007 08:33:35 PM »

I live a few blocks from Naked Sheep right now.  They seem really nice there.  and I agree, I love that they are organized by weight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Support the <a href="http://www.craftster.org/subscribe.php">craftster way of life!</a>
h_pets360
crankypants extrodinaire

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007 12:04:33 PM »

Any favorites of folks that I've missed?  PM me, and I'll add 'em. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gothfoxdesigns
Pastie Purveyor

Pastie Purveyor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2007 08:13:35 PM »

I think we should put together a craft store crawl.. any takers?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miyoko79

Sigh...it's too true.

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2007 09:38:58 PM »

I'm up for that...shall we schedule at the next meeting?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It turns out they do make hats in my size. They are called "BUCKETS" and they sell them at the hardware store."
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Patch, Clone and Heal in Photoshop
How to Selectively Colorize an Image in Photoshop Part 1
How to make Lenoir Lashes in Photoshop - Part 1
Healing Hair Chore for Photoshop
How to Green Screen Extract Wispy Hair in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...