A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,473
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Scrapbooking Kit!  (Read 1044 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« on: December 13, 2006 09:26:37 PM »

Hey Friendly Craftsters!

My sister wants stuff to make a scrapbook as her Christmas present, so I was going to make her a scrapbooking kit.

My problem is that I'm not a scrapbooker and while I have some basic ideas of what she will probably need, I'd like some input from you pros.

Of course I'll get different scrapbooking paper and stuff...stickers. blah blah blah.

What are some different things (maybe unheard of..or not!) that you find yourself using alot in scrapbooking? What can't you live without?!

Keep in mind I'm sort of on a budget...so don't get too crazy.

No diamond encrusted pages in this scrapbook...

Thank you so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
destina27
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006 03:57:32 PM »

Here are some basic things that a scrapbooker needs:

Album  - The most common sizes are 12 x 12 inches, 8 1/2 x 11 inches, and 5 x 7 inches. (I started scrapbooking with 8 1/2x11, but now I'm working with 12x12)

Adhesives - Glue!!!  I prefer using glue sticks. Just make sure the packaging says acid free and photo safe. If you don't, fading and destroying of the pictures will happen over time!!!

Paper - I'm sure you've figured that out all ready. There is such a HUGE selection out there, you'll get lost. lol. And once again, beware of the packaging! "Acid free" . . . you will get tired of hearing it when scrapbooking, but it is a MUST!

Scissors - You're probably thinking of a simple straight pair of scissors. Well, you're right, but there's more . . . there are also decorative-edged scissors that help spice up a page. Now, most dollar stores carry these so you don't have to spend much on them. And they're a lot of fun!

Embellishments  - These are the little "extras" that add flair to a page. Stickers, eyelets, brads, tags, beads, fibers, and more!

Ink Pens - DO NOT use just any old pen or marker!!! You will risk fading or damaging of paper and photos if you do. Look for pens or markers that are water resistant, fadeproof, archival, and . . . yes . . . acid free.

Templates - These are simple plastic sheets with cutout shapes, alphabets, and patterns. Kinda like the ones you used in school to draw things and then cut them out.

These are just some ideas to help any scrapbooker to get started. There are so many more things you can do to make a great scrapbook, but some of the best pages start out simple.

Here's another great idea to help get you're sister in the right direction . . . pick up a scrapbook book or magazine. That's where I turn to to get great page layouts!

Hope you have fun making your sister a starter kit.

~Sheri

P.S. They also carry starter kits that are already premade.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftgirl_sampson
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006 08:29:41 PM »

when i first started i went to the dallor store. and bought alittle of everything.... right now i'm working on an 8x8 album...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Willing to to personal swaps  Smiley Tongue

Check out Aroha trip to Canada
http://arohameetstheworld.piczo.com/?cr=6
have2craft
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006 09:22:26 PM »

I'm assuming she's new to scrapbooking.  I've been a hardcore scrapbooker for almost 5 years now.  The absolute must basics are:

Cardstock (can be bought in multi-color packs)
A good black journaling pen (My personal fave is Zig)
A good pair of scissors
Paper Trimmer - There are MANY on the market, and I've tried almost all of them.  My fave is the Cutterpede.
Adhesive - There are a ton of different ones, and each scrapper has their personal fave.  I know Sheri said she loves glue sticks, but I despise them.  I prefer tape runners.
A good album - Again, everyone has their personal faves.  I'm partial to K&Co post-bound albums.  Like Sheri said, there are several different sizes, but 12x12 is the most common these days.  There are also different types...postbound, 3-ring, strap hinge.  That's another personal preference thing.
One prob you may run into with the lower end albums is that many don't have true to size page protectors.  It may say 12x12, but a lot of them are a tad smaller.

As for embellishments, stickers, patterned paper, etc., unless you know specifically what she's planning to work on, it's hit or miss there.  I started out buying things just because they were pretty or on sale, etc.  I've ended up with tons of things I'll never use because of that.  Maybe give her a GC so that she can go and pick out her own.

Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Dee~
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006 04:15:48 PM »

Thanks everyone! You are grand.

I got some good ideas and the kit is done! Yay!

I appreciate it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DMQT #22 - Photoshop CS3 - Creating A ...
DMQT #28 - Final Cut Pro - Searching For ...
DMQT #29 - Final Cut Pro - Creating a Freeze Frame
DMQT #30 - Final Cut Pro - Renaming Files and ...
Creating a Reflection with Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...