A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,762
Currently Running With Scissors:
388 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 43
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 3-Hour Sweater Knitalong: dare we hope?  (Read 101417 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Miss_Vicki

"Oh my stars and garters!"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #380 on: June 17, 2007 09:10:06 PM »

Has anyone made this top down in the round?
It is in my 'gonna' pile, but I haven't yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart Hank McCoy

http://www.wists.com/Miss_Vicki                     http://missvicki.wordpress.com/
kappatit
« Reply #381 on: June 17, 2007 09:11:31 PM »

ive been wondering the SAME thing.  it looks fairly easy and yet im not advanced enough to attempt.  i keep finishing a front (its my 2nd front ive tried to do) and i cant go on.  i keep thinking of all that seaming that will prob take more than 3 hours

Has anyone made this top down in the round?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://harmonyknits.blogspot.com/ 

my first knitting blog =D
Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

Wanted for gluing googly eyes to other googly eyes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #382 on: June 18, 2007 05:00:16 AM »

You know, if I'd started this in the round, it would be done. As is it, I have the front and back languishing in a UFO pile, and no arms...and I HATES sewing pieces together...Not making any promises, but if no one else gets around to it soon, I'll take a stabe at re-working the pattern to be worked in-the-round. But, uhm, it's hot & sweaty season here, so it wouldn't be anytime soon, I think. Sorry. It is a really cute sweater, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Snowberrylime
Glued to the spinning wheel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #383 on: June 18, 2007 11:25:25 AM »

Should be pretty feasible to do in the round...
Well, mine ended up as a cute sleevess top with tied straps - so completely different to what it was supposed to be, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

carmabelle1191
« Reply #384 on: June 18, 2007 05:12:17 PM »

Can you tell me what mods you made? You're about my size, and the original pattern looks pretty big.  Wink

I finally got my notes together - hope they make sense!!  Grin

3-Hour Sweater Modifications for KnitPicks Shine Worsted
and Modern Size 0

**These modifications only apply to Shine Worsted or same type (cotton/cotton blend) yarn.  If using wool/acrylic, stitches will probably be too tight!  Check gauge.**

5 skeins KnitPicks Shine Worsted
needles size 7, 8 and 10 1/2

Stitch Holder

Size F crochet hook

Gauge: 16 sts and 18 rows= 4x4" in st st on 10 1/2 needles

BACK

CO 52 sts on size 7 needles
K2, P2 for 5" (28 rows)

Change to 10 1/2 needles
Knit in st st until piece measures 12 1/2" (30 rows)

BO 2 sts at beg of next 2 rows.  Then dec 1 st both ends of needle every knit row until 44 sts rem.

Yoke - Change to size 8 needles

K2, P2 and cont ribbing while dec 1 st at both ends of needle every other knit (RS) row until 30 sts rem ending with RS
row.  K2, P2 3 more rows without dec.  BO.

FRONT

CO 56 sts on size 7 needles
Follow directions as for BACK until 48 sts rem. 

Yoke - Change to size 8 needles

K2, P2 for 24 sts.  Place on stitch holder.  K2, P2 rem sts.  Work K2, P2 for rest of yoke, keeping front edge even
while dec 1 st @ armhole until 21 sts rem.  BO 9 sts at neck edge.  Then dec 1 st at neck edge every knit (RS) row, still dec 1 st
at armhole every other knit row until all sts decreased.  Work other half of yoke to correspond.

Sleeves - **I started the sleeves from the hem instead of the top.**

CO 30 sts on Size 7 needles.
K2, P2 for 6 rows.  Change to size 10 1/2 needles.  K3, M1; rep (40sts)
St st for 9 rows.
BO 4 sts next 2 rows. (32)
St st 2 rows.
DEC ROW - Dec 1 st at beg and end on next row. (30)
St st for 3 rows.
Change to size 8 needles.  2 rows of K2, P2 rib.
Dec 1 st at beg and end of next row.
Rib st next 5 rows.
DEC ROW every RS row until 20 sts rem.
DEC ROW every row until 6 sts rem.  BO.

Follow rest of pattern the same.
Thanks for the mods! This is looking mighty tempting now that I'm heading to the yarn store where the Cottonease is... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog-carmabelleknits.blo gspot.com. I love comments!
Aunt Suzi
« Reply #385 on: August 26, 2007 02:34:00 PM »

Hi, there,

I read along with some of this knitalong, but only cast on last week.  I had to totally recalculate the stitch counts, as I suppose nearly all of you did (since the original pattern seems to be for a 27" bust!!).  But otherwise, smooth sailing.

But now I have a question maybe you can help me with.

I've now knit the whole body and one sleeve and pinned it together to see if my yoke decreases and sleeve increases match (they do!).  But I got no puff to my sleeve whatsoever, even after making it proportionally bigger than the pattern suggested.   I suppose that just means I have super huge arms relative to my bust size (I do).

But my question for you is really an aesthetic one - do you think I should bother to rip out the sleeve below the yoke ribbing and redo the increases (and do tons, tons more) to get that relaxed poofiness before decreasing for the ribbing....or should I leave it as-is? 

Did others of you have to totally redesign the sleeves? 

(BTW - I did it in the round - someone asked about that earlier.  Very simple - I just figured, 32" bust x 4 st/in = CO 128 st.  Then had to totally recalculate the row count for the yoke (since with the original count it didn't even reach my shoulder blade - and I'm quite short).  But it worked out.)

Thanks for your input!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007 02:35:21 PM by Aunt Suzi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #386 on: August 26, 2007 03:35:53 PM »

The puffiness comes from knitting the sleeve with the large needles and the ribbing with the smaller needles. I think yours looks great as is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Aunt Suzi
« Reply #387 on: August 27, 2007 05:28:57 PM »

Thanks, soozeq!

Actually, what you're looking at is the sleeve knit on large needles, plus extra increases (and then the ribbing on small needles) - my arms are just that big!  Undecided

So far opinions are neck and neck on my blog and I'm still on the fence!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jomarch
« Reply #388 on: August 28, 2007 05:06:23 AM »

Hey everyone! I'm new to this site, I found it while searching on google for other people who have taken on the 3-hour sweater (which, like everyone so far has mentioned, does definitely not take 3 hours only!). I've started on it this past weekend and have so far finished the front and back, and it seems to fit all right, a bit on the large side around the waist above the bottom ribbing, but otherwise it's good. I'm not a very experienced knitter (this is my 4th ever project, after a scarf, a stuffed toy bear and another sweater) and don't really know how to make changes to a pattern that work, so I've knit it completely according to the pattern, using the exact amount of stitches and needle sizes. I'm knitting it in a dusty pinkish 50% wool 50% acrylic blend (pretty light-weight, the recommended needle size for it is 4MM, which I think is a US 6? Correct me if I'm wrong please! Smiley) using double strands so that it isn't too "holey". I have a pretty small waist (26") and moderately large bust, so the more narrow ribbing at the bottom and stretchy-ness at the top make it fit okay. Still, I wish I had found this thread and read thefabledneedle's changes to the pattern before I finished the front and back! thefabledneedle, your sweater looks absolutely fabulous, thanks so much for posting all the info on how you made it! Since I'm so far along on the sweater following the original pattern, I will finish it this way, but I've already ordered me some KnitPick's shine worsted, so I get to make another sweater, this time according to your instructions Smiley

Thanks so much everyone for posting your thoughts on this pattern and pictures of the finished products, they all look wonderful. I'll try to get a picture up here as well as soon as I've finished mine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aunt Suzi
« Reply #389 on: September 14, 2007 05:04:08 PM »

Hi, jomarch - I just checked in here and found your post and realized no one's replied.  I'm sure your sizing will work out ok - so far it seems like everyone's made it work.  Though it does seem like people arrive at their successes by different routes!  Good luck, and looking forward to pics!

Mine is nearly done, after a too-long hiatus to mull over the sleeves.  I completely redid them, with many more increases, and they now look exactly the same as above.  But are more comfortable.  I still have to do the crochet neckline (which I'm a little nervous about, though I know how, basically) and block it.  I'm really going to wear this one a lot, I think!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 43 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Sew an Elastic Waistband
How to Sew an Overlock Stitch
How to Sew Corners
How to Sew a Topstitch
Choosing the Right Tools for Sewing Projects
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...