A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,126
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 43
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 3-Hour Sweater Knitalong: dare we hope?  (Read 103069 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

scifibimoncon8
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006 08:32:56 AM »

Your concerns are valid, Michele1620. To double the needle size seems a bit...unnerving. I haven't knitted up any swatches yet, but will do so this week and post them as soon as possible.

Another thought is this: You could keep the needle sizes and get a heavier yarn, perhaps worsted or chunkier. Maybe even double a DK yarn. The ribbing would be much heavier, but the body would be less open. It appears that's what happened in the knitted-up version on The Fedora Lounge, though it also looks like she switched to a matching needle size for the heavier yarn.

Also- I just assumed when the gauge stated '4 sts=1 inch' it referred to the 5mm needles (that gives you a trim circumference of 27 stitches, meant to stretch). Could it be that it's actually referring to the 10mms? Women were tinier back in the day, and it would seem to imply a heavier yarn to match the needle gauge, though the waist would be ridiculously weensy. If anyone else knits up swatches, please do post them as swatching (alas) will be key in making this pattern work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

More nonsense abounds at http://rarerborealis.com/
knitticle

staring at the sun

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006 03:17:11 PM »

This is a really cool sweater, and I love the finished one pictured here! But the gauge issue has me perplexed, too.

My first thought was that the yarn must've been doubled to give any sort of sweater-like result on 10MM needles if it is a DK weight. But if this is the case, then the listed gauge surely wouldn't be 4 stitches to the inch, or, 20st =4", right?

And THEN, as another red herring ( Roll Eyes) it says that you must first cast on on size 5 MM needles. If you are doubling your yarn to achieve an acceptable gauge on 10 MM needles, won't it be seriously unweidly to begin on 5 MMs?

The only way I can see it possible to use these 2 drastically different sizes would be if you were aiming to make a SERIOUSLY holey sweater (the finished object I've seen doesn't look like this) or to CO single-stranded using 5 MM and then switch to double stranded and 10 MM, although that's pretty fiddly and I've personally never heard of anyone doing it.

But if you ARE using the suggested yarn single-stranded for a gauge of 4st-1", then this really isn't a 3 hour sweater at all, it's just a worsted weight sweater, right?!

I think when I approach this, like scifibimoncon8 says, the best bet would be to just choose a heavy worsted or chunky weight yarn, work out your own measurements, gauge, and pattern numbers. Essentially creating a new pattern  Grin But that way, you wouldnt' have to cross your fingers and hope it fits.

ACK! Am I overthinking this?! Something tells me there must be a simple cure-all answer out there somwhere.

omgzzzizle, that just made my brain hurt, and it probably ended up more being the insane rantings of a madwoman than any sort of helpful advice. I think I'm going to go partake in a more mindless activity, like my genetics lab report. And that is saying something.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

because, you see, the internet is made up of a series of tubes...
knitticle
wiseneedle
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006 07:57:49 AM »

One thing to consider - this sweater is NOT knit on modern size 10 needles.  A pattern calling for this particular yarn from the 1930s would be using the older "British" needle size system.  In it, a 10 would be comparable to a modern 3.5mm, roughly the equivalent of a modern US #3.  You can find a chart detailing the equivalences among the various needle size schemes here:

http://www.fibergypsy.com/common/needles.shtml

Also, if you're looking at the sweater I think you are, it may be an early version of the Three Hour Baby Sweater.  Which speedy modern knitters can complete in about 3-5 hours of knitting time exclusive of finishing.  Even if it is an adult sweater (which I find unlikely to be described as being able to knit in 3 hours on US #3s), do the math, dividing the stitch count by suggested gauge to get measurements.  You may find that the piece (as is typical for vintage knits) is sized VERY small compared to modern garment sizes. You may need to redraft part of the pattern if you want to make something larger than a modern size women's #8.

Best of luck with this interesting project.  I'll be reading along to follow your progres.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scifibimoncon8
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006 08:08:11 AM »

I believe this sweater was meant to be sort of open and holey. They do claim we'll be amazed by how rapidly the "loose stitch" progresses. What's particularly strange is that the 5mms are only used for the bottom ribbing-you knit up the yoke ribbing with the 10mms.

I'm beginning to think whoever suggested a fuzzy angora/mohair might have been spot-on; I've never liked the look of open stitching in plain wools but the fuzzier yarns can get away with it.

Thank you wiseneedle! Truly you live up to your moniker! I'd been looking for needle information but never thought to check whether the pattern was US or UK. The only problem is that needle sizes aren't mentioned, metric sizes are. And 10MM in the 30's is still 10MM today, though your suggestion would make much more sense.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006 08:10:01 AM by scifibimoncon8 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

scifibimoncon8
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006 07:43:47 AM »

Excelsior! Straining my eyes and charting the pattern verbatim on Excel, I discovered another gauge clue! Let me take a moment to bask in the warm glow. Ahhh.

When charting the Front, instead of listing length, it says:

"Work ribbing of k 2, p 2 for rest of yoke, keeping front edge even and decreasing I st every other row on armhole edge until front edge measures 3 inches.

Bind off 6 sts at neck edge. Then decrease I st at neck edge every row, still decreasing 1 st at armhole every other row until all sts are decreased. Work other half of front to correspond.

Having charted the simplest Back piece first to have a point of reference for all the others, I discovered that for Front and Back to be the same length, for all the stitches on the front to be bound off, the front edge had to be 15 rows. That's right. 15 rows equals 3 inches according to this pattern (5 rows to 1 inch), and I've found a use for Algebra outside school. Yeaaaaah.   

Also, I found that the sleeves seem suspicious- their edges are longer than the front/back, and their yoke patterning seems to stop sooner, preventing it from matching up neatly. I can't tell if that's intentional or a flaw. If anyone has more sleeve experience, let me know if the sleeve edge should match up exactly or be a little larger (keeping in mind the picture shows a smoothly joined sleeve).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SlickMariaVic
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2006 09:43:51 AM »

Dang what a pain in the ass...lol. Seems like its going to take out 3 hours just to figure it out! Has anyone thought of contacting that one girl who finished it on the fedora site? I know her mom knit it for her, but maybe she could have some ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That which is creative must create itself -" Keats

Pinterest
http://pinterest.com/slickmariavic/
craftykate
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2006 07:03:19 AM »

I'll be keeping an eye on this. The suggestion of white mohair with a pearl button has me intrigued.  Smiley  That would be adorable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftykate.etsy.com

Yep, it's a knit blog
http://craftykate-knits.blogspot.com/

wanna trade? I heart personal swaps.
emilyhrudder
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2006 01:54:46 PM »

Ok, I have not made one yet but my friend has made me one and one for herself. It took her about a month to make the first one (hers). She did not trust the pattern so she cast on more here less there and proceded to rip it out several times. Finally she was happy with hers with a few extra cast on but it was to big for me. Believe it or not she followed the pattern closely on mine and all the odd parts of the pattern fell right into place. It is beautiful! I think she used some Paton's worsted and US size 15. It is loosely knit but not holey, I wear a camisole under mine and you can not see it through the sweater. She did admit that mine took over three hours, maybe a few nights of tv knitting but the hard part  was just trusting the pattern and figuring it out. She is making a few more for Christmas and I am going to try one too. Hope this helps, her main comment was to just go with the pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
april_cocaine
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2006 02:11:38 PM »

oo, thats much more encouraging for us! do you have any pictures for us emily?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

scifibimoncon8
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2006 02:32:13 PM »

Emily, you're a godsend. Please drag every miniscule detail you can from your friend and post all the pictures possible!

Does anyone else find it funny this knitalong has 2 pages with no knitting or pictures?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 43 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Body Shaming The Curvy Girls
C&C Try: No Makeup
Voguepedia - The Doc With Pat McGrath
The Monday Makeover - Electric Eyes Tutorial
The Monday Makeover - The Festival Girl With Charlotte Tilbury
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...