A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
531 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 43
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 3-Hour Sweater Knitalong: dare we hope?  (Read 114797 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

punk is the new blog.
amuse me. amaze me.

Oh, I have quirks. Quirks up the wazoo.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #390 on: September 16, 2007 09:12:08 PM »

i NEED to do this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the blog:
http://thealexanderhamiltonproject.blogspot.com

^^Like snark? Pop culture? History?

well, we do.
lindydiva
« Reply #391 on: November 15, 2007 10:06:53 AM »

I've made three. One (which I'm wearing right now) in maize colored homespun that I found at the MA Sheep & Wool Fest last year.

The other is done in intarsia. Cream boucle body, peach yoke, yellow/cocoa/peach/cream stripes on the sleeve & waist ribbing.

Lots of finishing, but even with that, 3 days for each one.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e111/lindydiva/000_0679.jpg

I don't have a pic of the second one yet.

It helped, in finishing, to crochet along the edges before using either mattress stitch or slip-stitch crochet. I also filled in the necklines with single crochet.

They're very comfortable and I wear them all of the time..but then again, I love wearing vintage clothes!

--Eileen
THIS ROCKS   Logged
e50e
« Reply #392 on: December 31, 2007 10:23:20 PM »

I finally created a Craftster account after visiting the site for several years specifically to find out more info on this sweater!  I decided to take this on as my first sweater project and after 3 days straight of working on it (I used the rib stitch instead of st on the front and back and this doubled my time!) I'm ready to sew it up, but I have no idea on which method to proceed with.  I have looked into whip stitch and vertical weaving and have tried both on the seams, but nothing looks very clean.  Is there any advice you can give me about stitching up seams, especially these raglan sleeves?  I'm assuming it's something that is just going to take practice too.  Thanks!

I'm very happy with this first attempt and hopefully I'll post a photo soon. 

Is anyone still making these?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
L-train
« Reply #393 on: January 01, 2008 03:46:08 AM »

I finally created a Craftster account after visiting the site for several years specifically to find out more info on this sweater!  I decided to take this on as my first sweater project and after 3 days straight of working on it (I used the rib stitch instead of st on the front and back and this doubled my time!) I'm ready to sew it up, but I have no idea on which method to proceed with.  I have looked into whip stitch and vertical weaving and have tried both on the seams, but nothing looks very clean.  Is there any advice you can give me about stitching up seams, especially these raglan sleeves?  I'm assuming it's something that is just going to take practice too.  Thanks!

Welcome to Craftster Smiley I used mattress stich to sew mine together (I'm not sure if that's the same as vertical weaving as I've never heard that term before). There's a good tutorial here if you want to give it a try. I've also found this to be useful for sewing horizontal seams. For sewing the raglan sleeves on I kind of used a combination of those two if I remember correctly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
e50e
« Reply #394 on: January 01, 2008 10:13:32 PM »

Thank you very much for the response.  Turns out that is exactly the stitch that I was using.  The seams are a little rough, but I'm so happy with the rest of the sweater I don't really care.  Next time I'll do it better---and there will be a next time!  I am going to try another one. 

Also, I have very little experience reading patterns and I think that they only reason I did ok with this one is because there were 40 pages of discussions related to it here to help me through.  Is there another simple sweater pattern that anyone could direct me to that is similarly styled and would be easy to follow?   Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mpower4
« Reply #395 on: January 15, 2008 02:37:45 PM »

I did this as a top-down raglan because I HATE seaming.   Sadly, I didn't take any notes, and I did it a few months ago, so I'm not sure what exactly I did.  I used Caron Simply Soft and size 13 needles, going down to 10 1/2 for the yoke and the ribbing.  I had to finish in a hurry though, so I didn't get to use smaller needles on the sleeve ribbing, which is why they look a little wonky at the ends.

I usually wear a tank top underneath it because it is slightly see through, but it's not as bad in real life as it is in the picture.  I also do not usually wear it with my awesome shamrock boxers.

And from the back:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mooshie
« Reply #396 on: January 15, 2008 03:57:37 PM »

mpower4,
your sweater is beautiful!  LOVE it!  I was toying around with making this or not, but you've inspired me! now I really want to.  do you remember at all the changes you made?  it looks like you may have extended the bottom ribbing, and the length of the sweater b-4 the ribbing, as well as the stitch count to fit you, and the lenght of the sleeves.  could you maybe just give lengths of ribbing, sleeves, and from arm pit to top of ribbing on the bottom?  and maybe your waist and bust measurements?  you look like you might be near my size.  and I'm hoping this could look as good on me as it does on you. thanks

I LOVE your sweater! great job!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008 04:53:07 PM by mooshie - Reason: spelling » THIS ROCKS   Logged

geekella
« Reply #397 on: January 15, 2008 04:44:25 PM »

awesome! i love that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snowyangel
« Reply #398 on: January 15, 2008 08:50:48 PM »

mpower4 that is too adorable, i would wear that in a heart beat and it fits you perfectly. Love the key hole!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Funky hand bags, pillows, cat toys and more UNDER $25...
www.snowyangel.etsy.com
http://www.wists.com/snowyangel2000
Aunt Suzi
« Reply #399 on: January 16, 2008 01:04:27 PM »

That's so cute!  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Glowing January Makeup Tutorial
ELF Bronzer Product Review
5 Steps to a No-Makeup Look
Birchbox January 2015 Sneak Peek: Monthly Theme, Samples and a Giveaway
The Must-Have Beauty Products for January 2015
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Making Toys
May 27, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Solar Light Garden Mushroom

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...