A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,118
Currently Running With Scissors:
542 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 43
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 3-Hour Sweater Knitalong: dare we hope?  (Read 103063 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

scifibimoncon8
« on: December 15, 2006 12:42:50 PM »

After oggling so many other great knitalongs, I'm throwing my hat into the ring and starting one of my own. Perhaps it's not the best time of year (what with the myriad gifts we're all finishing), but this sweater promises the impossible! A finished object in three hours! I present: the Three-Hour Sweater! (circa 1930's).

Tooling around the internet I came across one negative experience at Swapatorium, and one finished object at The Fedora Lounge(all the way towards the bottom of the page). The finished object's a little large, but I think this sweater would be adorable in worsted weight, which would also help with the sizing issue, and could be whipped up on WoolEase (*cough*yarnstashfullofit) in a few days. Who's with me?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

More nonsense abounds at http://rarerborealis.com/
cranberry
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006 01:11:18 PM »

I'll be cheering on from the sidelines, mate.

I do like the yoke, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
april_cocaine
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006 01:18:12 PM »

I'm up for this (and i love knitting with 10mm too!) but i don't know what yarn to use....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SlickMariaVic
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006 01:19:06 PM »

Thats a pretty darn cute sweater! I might be up to knit this after the holidays. If anyone can find some yarns to recommend that would be helpful! How great would this be in white mohair with a pearl button?! Smiley
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006 01:26:27 PM by SlickMariaVic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That which is creative must create itself -" Keats

Pinterest
http://pinterest.com/slickmariavic/
scifibimoncon8
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006 02:12:09 PM »

Alright, I did a bit of yarn sleuthing and here's what I came up with:

The original pattern calls for "Germantown Zephyr", described as "A 4-fold yarn (4 twisted strands) of high-quality virgin wool".

vintageknits.com describes it as: UNGER GERMANTOWN ZEPHYR 100% WOOL,  2 OZ 150 YDS.

Wiseneedle's actually got a chart up listing historical needle sizes and yarns compared to today's, and has this to say about Germantown Zephyr:

Historical Needle Size: UK8
Modern Needle Size: 4mm (US 6)
Expected Gauge and Modern Yarn Type: DK weight 22sts=4 inches
Historical Names: Germantown, Zephyr
Possible Modern Substitutes: Jaeger Matchmaker DK, Jo Sharp DK Wool, most standard DK yarns, most 4 ply fingering weights, doubled.

She also says straight-up Germantown's closest substitute is Cascade 220, a relatively inexpensive wool. I enjoyed working with it before but(and this may just be my experience) found it had an odd smell to it. It looks like I'll just have to roll up my sleeves and start swatching.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

More nonsense abounds at http://rarerborealis.com/
naelany

Duck, Duck....silly goose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006 04:12:46 PM »

Ouhhh...sounds very interesting. Do keep us posted. might just join in at some point, after the craziness has died down some Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"just keep crafting, just keep crafting"

Sorry I've been gone so long. Am trying to get back on the boards. Body's thrown me for a few loops these past months and am still learning to adjust. Thanks for your patience.
knittyknitter

Help!!! There are UFO's everywhere in my room!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006 04:28:02 PM »

I don't know about you guys, but i still could never knit a sweater in 3 hours.... even if was extra chunky yarn on 15US. Maybe im just a slow knitter.  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting Blogger, designer, piano teacher, music composer, singer & mother to 3yr old twins!
>>Blog: www.knitting-up-a-storm.blogspot.com 
>>Ravelry ID: Knittyknitter
>>Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/652480628149920/#
>>KUAS Podcasts: http://www.youtube.com/user/knittingupastorm
piratekittie
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006 05:04:00 PM »

I'm very intrigued... I keep putting off my first sweater because I love instant gratification. 3 hours I can do... Doubtful that I'd actually finish it in 3 hours but it's worth a shot. According to the pattern it takes 400 yards of the recommended yarn, might have to do some stash busting...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HUGE Spring Cleaning Sale!!!!
Etsy: http://karenmaiko.etsy.com

I have a Blog!
 http://karenmaiko.blogspot.com
milobo
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006 12:16:40 AM »

I would like to try this, but I'm a bit worried about knitting DK weight yarn on size 10mm needles - wouldn't it be a bit see though? I am thinking about using a DK or worsted weight mohair yarn as it might fluff out a bit and look a bit less holely. I would love to know how the rest of you get along with this project.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Michele1620
JP Knitting Lady!

Love me, love my crafts!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006 05:19:57 AM »

Alright, I did a bit of yarn sleuthing and here's what I came up with:

The original pattern calls for "Germantown Zephyr", described as "A 4-fold yarn (4 twisted strands) of high-quality virgin wool".

vintageknits.com describes it as: UNGER GERMANTOWN ZEPHYR 100% WOOL,  2 OZ 150 YDS.

Wiseneedle's actually got a chart up listing historical needle sizes and yarns compared to today's, and has this to say about Germantown Zephyr:

Historical Needle Size: UK8
Modern Needle Size: 4mm (US 6)
Expected Gauge and Modern Yarn Type: DK weight 22sts=4 inches
Historical Names: Germantown, Zephyr
Possible Modern Substitutes: Jaeger Matchmaker DK, Jo Sharp DK Wool, most standard DK yarns, most 4 ply fingering weights, doubled.

She also says straight-up Germantown's closest substitute is Cascade 220, a relatively inexpensive wool. I enjoyed working with it before but(and this may just be my experience) found it had an odd smell to it. It looks like I'll just have to roll up my sleeves and start swatching.

Wow, that's a big difference....4mm vs 10mm. What does everyone think about this? Should we take the average (6 mm)Huh I'd hate to knit up a sweater and then have to frog it for size issues.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 43 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Author Philippa Gregory on Future Books
Actress Melissa Gilbert Talks About Prairie Tale
Author George Taber Talks About His Personal Life
New Book by Kathy Reichs: 206 Bones
Author Ellen Hopkins Gets Real About Tricks
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...