A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 305,440
Currently Running With Scissors:
548 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do you line a hat?  (Read 598 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: December 15, 2006 05:25:31 AM »

I am knitting an ear flap hat, but want to line part of it with some fleece - to be soft against my forehead and ears!  I know how to sew, but am having trouble imagining how to line a hat!  Any ideas?

There are so many ways to die without losing your life.

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006 10:45:53 PM »

When I line mine, I cut the fleece the approximate width of the hat from the lower edge to where the decreases start, and about the same diameter as the hat when unstretched (plus 1/2 inch for seam allowance.) Seam up the ends with a 1/4 inch seam allowance, turn, and hand stitch into the hat. I found doing it this way provides softness and extra warmth across the forehead and ears (especially if the hat is at all scratchy) where it's most needed. I don't worry about lining the crown--it's the easy way out, but I've worn mine skiing over several seasons and it's plenty warm enough.

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006 09:33:48 AM »

I do the same as sittenkitten, but my method is more half-arsed.  I cut a strip of fleece a few inches wide, then whip-stitch it loosely  into the hat with some embroidery floss of the same color as the yarn.  I use embroidery floss because of the color range - you can almost always find a matching color, and because it's 6-ply.  I split it in half, and even at 3-ply it's really strong stuff. 

Good luck!  One tip though - when you stitch, try to make your any stitches across yarn vertical - that way it won't pucker visibly when the hat is stretched.  I learned this the hard way.   Smiley
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006 03:22:21 PM »

fold your hat in half so the crease is at the front and back and the earflaps line up.  Trace the bottom and up the sides 3 or 4 inches onto the fleece -- make sure your fleece is folded, too, with a crease at the front, flush with the fold in the hat.  Cut your fleece, open it up, and sew it in like the others suggested.

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Girls Who Can Code Get Jobs
Behind the Book: The Anatomy of Dreams
Diane Von Furstenberg on Learning
Diane Von Furstenberg on Taking Risks
Sonia Choquette: From Humbled to Healed
Latest Blog Articles
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...