A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,750
Currently Running With Scissors:
615 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: manly sweater pattern?  (Read 511 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinkyswear
« on: December 15, 2006 02:44:41 PM »

My dad has requested a handknit sweater after seeing my Central Park Hoodie. He wants cables and a crew neck. He is a very classic, conservative dresser.  I'm afraid to attempt a full-on aran and I think that would end up too heavy for him, anyway.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I feel like I have looked everywhere and I'm getting discouraged.

He really deserves this sweater.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aunt carrot

pom-poms make the heart grow fonder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006 03:53:25 PM »

I'm in a similar situation, and I've been wanting to make my dad the Cycling Aran from Hello Yarn
http://www.helloyarn.com/cyclingaran.htm. The pattern is free; the sleeves are just ribbed, not cabled; and the cables on the body don't look too difficult, but impressive. You could modify the neck so that it's not so high. The only thing about that I dread is sewing in the zipper, but if you made buttonholes instead, it would look more classic & conservative, which is my dad's style too.
(I also have considered the Manly Sweater from SNB, but it has a v-neck and no cables.)
You could try just doing a top-down raglan with center-back and center-front cable patterns, and that way most of it would be stockinette or whatever, so it wouldn't be a full-on aran.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I didn't and don't want to be a 'feminine' version or a diluted version or a special version or a subsidiary version or an ancillary version or an adapted version of the heroes I admire. I want to be the heroes themselves." --Joanna Russ.
socknitter
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006 03:55:05 PM »

a freebie: http://www.straw.com/cpy/patterns/cameo-cable-unisex.html  (Not so "form fitting" will make it manlier.)

There are myriad in EZ's various books & newsletters - have you tried there?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
diosaperdida
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006 04:03:45 PM »

My husband wouldn't wear the cycling aran...and he is 67 and also a very, very conservative dresser...he wears white shirts, and grey or blue pants, every day....has only deviated twice...on our wedding day, and when he went to my cousins funeral....then he wore a suit on both occasions.
My daughter used to think he wore a uniform.

But you could adapt a plain cardigan and add a cable in the front, on each side. The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns By Ann Budd has very basic patterns and how to make them in a variety of guages and sizes.

As for the cycling aran..not at all knocking the suggestion. I'm very tempted to make one for my brother in law, and for my nephew....so thanks Aunt Carrot.
By the way...I too was terrified of zippers...then I just did it one day. It was easy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.diosaperdida.net  - My website
http://knittingbare.blogspot.com/ painting, knitting, whatever...it's all art
http://painting.craftgossip.com/  decorative painting techniques, projects and product info.
aunt carrot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006 04:42:03 PM »

Oh, no offense taken, diosaperdida--different people have different styles, and even when you use the same words to describe them, they don't necessarily mean the same things! I'm always having a tough time at my LYS trying to figure out what to do for my conservative mom, and the ladies there do not have the same idea of 'conservative' as I do (or rather, as my mom does).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I didn't and don't want to be a 'feminine' version or a diluted version or a special version or a subsidiary version or an ancillary version or an adapted version of the heroes I admire. I want to be the heroes themselves." --Joanna Russ.
pinkyswear
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006 06:52:56 PM »

Thank you guys sooo much!

I showed them both to my dad. Although I totally expected him to like the cameo cable sweater better, it looks like he will be getting a Cycling Aran. I have made no promises to have it done before his July birthday, lol. Now I just need to go find a yarn sub....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkyswear
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006 04:00:42 PM »

The Cycling Aran is sized for a 36 and my dad wears a 46 inch suit. I know he wouldn't want it that fitted. Adding that many purl stitches would make it look bad, I think?

Uggh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aunt carrot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006 04:57:48 PM »

The Cycling Aran is sized for a 36 and my dad wears a 46 inch suit. I know he wouldn't want it that fitted. Adding that many purl stitches would make it look bad, I think?

I don't know, the cables are set fairly close together... well, if the gauge is 13 sts=4 inches, and you wanted to add 10 inches, you'd have to add 32.5 sts (...right?). If you added 1 extra purl to the 2 purls already between the cables (so that first row of the cable chart was k3 p3 k4 p3 etc, instead of k3 p2 k4 p2 etc), that would be 8 extra stitches across the front and 8 across the back. You could hide the other 16 on the edges, or p4 instead of p3... or just use a different pattern altogether.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Introduction to Adobe Encore - Overview
An Overview of Adobe Acrobat Lesson 3
An Overview of Adobe Acrobat Lesson 2
An Overview of Adobe Acrobat Lesson 1
Introduction to Adobe Acrobat - Overview
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...