A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,722
Currently Running With Scissors:
625 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Birdhouse Gourd  (Read 5041 times)
Tags for this thread: gourd  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

squid_ink

what is it about squid that octopis our mind so?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2007 06:07:07 AM »

Wow, thats a long time Shocked, do they need to hang, or be stored at a certain temperature? Did you have any trouble w/ rotting?

I just kept them outside on a shelf, upright. only one rotted but looked a little iffy when I picked it off the vine.

they may have been dry sooner, I only checked in March (I harvested in late September.)

It may take a while, but it's not a big deal and worth waiting for. I havent decorated them (yet) but they look really cool!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when nuclear dust has extinguished their betters
will turtles surviving wear people neck sweaters?
Sprocket

Inspiration is everywhere!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2007 10:14:38 AM »

Awesome job...I'm inspired now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
susankg53
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2007 11:33:10 AM »

I've had little gourds that dry really fast and big ones that take forever. The bigger they are the more moisture there is in them. If you have only had one go bad, you are really lucky. I have had a bunch go bad. One year I didn't get any, the goose kept tasting the doggone things, he ruined them all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NerdyCrochetGal
Nerdy Weirdo with Yarn Skills

I am not ignoring you... I am counting stitches...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2007 11:39:42 AM »

I have always wanted to dry gourds, and use them to make things, however, I am not really quite sure how its done.. Does anyone have any tips. I live in a really humid climate, and well, when its time to harvest it usually starts to get really cold and we get snow.. So leaving them outside to dry is not an option.. Can anyone give me any suggestions? I want to plant som gourds soon, but I don't want to have them all rot on me.. Thanks.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

HOOKER PRIDE!!!
susankg53
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2007 11:47:25 AM »

do you have a space in the garage or some place that is not necessarily warm enough to live in but doesn't freeze really badly? if you do, just put them in there out of the way of rodents, they tend to eat on them and they will dry. they also get mold on them but don't panic. when the gourds are all dried out, it will scrub off. good luck and just give it a try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
squid_ink

what is it about squid that octopis our mind so?

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2007 05:22:25 PM »

I have always wanted to dry gourds, and use them to make things, however, I am not really quite sure how its done.. Does anyone have any tips. I live in a really humid climate, and well, when its time to harvest it usually starts to get really cold and we get snow.. So leaving them outside to dry is not an option.. Can anyone give me any suggestions? I want to plant som gourds soon, but I don't want to have them all rot on me.. Thanks.

There are a couple of tips over on GardenWeb
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/gourds/msg081709457479.html

I just poked holes in the bottom of mine and let them sit in a well ventilated place (the deck in the back of my house). I didn't have any problems with rodents/racoons/possum, all which frequent my backyard.. even the wild turkeys didn't look twice (they come up on the deck from time to time  Shocked )

I think the big part is sitting and waiting.. but it's worth it in the end!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when nuclear dust has extinguished their betters
will turtles surviving wear people neck sweaters?
NerdyCrochetGal
Nerdy Weirdo with Yarn Skills

I am not ignoring you... I am counting stitches...

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2007 06:58:22 PM »

Awesome thanks guys.. I am definitely gonna be picking up some seeds sometime in the near future. I am not sure if I am going to make birdhouses or something else. But I am going to do something.. I also wanted to make ornaments out of little gourds.. can I get gourds that will only grow to be about 2-3 inches in diameter.. well.. maybe a little bigger than that.. maybe 3-4 inches.. you have to forgive me I am a gourd noob.... heh heh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HOOKER PRIDE!!!
balkandina

Junk+funk+glue=Art

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2007 08:04:32 PM »

There are ALL sizes of gourds. You can usually find those little ones around Halloween at the supermarket if you don't want to grow them
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People sometimes reproach me with having neither genius nor talent nor deep feeling, but I have a will of my own"Isadora Duncan
susankg53
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2007 03:10:51 PM »

the little ones you can find around Halloween will dry but they aren't nearly as thick walled as other gourds. but you could try them
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
COLOUR ONE Exihibt Setup by Scholten and Baijing
Preparation of the Installation COLOUR ONE For MINI
The Engadget Show: Inside the Mind of Designer Philippe Starck
How to Accessorize Your Bot
MakerBots and Students
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...