A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
629 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tea time swap (Signups CLOSED, Send by 2/5)  (Read 10776 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Dorkariffic
Kind of a hippy.

Hufflepuff Seeker - Dork Extrordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2006 10:19:07 AM »

Edel - As if I didn't already want to move to Ireland, now you tell me this!  Shocked That's it. I'm kidnapping my boyfriend and we're immigrating!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LOOKING FOR A PERSONAL SWAP: I'm hoping for dinosaur-themed Xmas crackers, or other dinosaur Xmas items. I can make a Jayne Cobb hat, or many other things!

"Before we begin, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Thank you."

Wists & LJ links in pro
Miss_Vicki

"Oh my stars and garters!"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2006 02:57:31 PM »

I can't believe there has not been a single tea swap yet.  What with all the knitters we have here on Craftster too.  I don't know why tea goes so well with tea.  Well, even though I love tea and drink a fair bit of it, I must confess to not owning a 'proper' teapot.  I have pretty cups and saucers, a few tennis sets too, but no teapot.  I have been looking for an excuse to go out and find one...so if I can get a nice one before sign ups are over, I will sign up.

Someone mentioned high tea earlier.  I love high tea, but I have only been once.  I shouted a friend of mine before she went off to England for an extended holiday.  We dressed nicely and went to a fancy bakery in town that serves it there.  We sat in beautiful lush couches and sipped our champagne, like the ladies we were pretending to be.  We each had a scone with jam and cream, a pot of tea and shared a selection of ribbon sandwiches petite cupcakes on a three tier serving platter.  la dee dah!  It was very fun.  I hope to host a high tea one day, I can't see my friends frocking up and wearing hats, but I do make a mean mini scone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart Hank McCoy

http://www.wists.com/Miss_Vicki                     http://missvicki.wordpress.com/
Crafterbynite
Customizing the world ..one shirt at a time

Extraordinary machine!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2006 10:17:55 PM »

I signed up Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ETSY :: Wist :: Blog :: Fb :: Twitter
Chan G
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2006 08:03:48 AM »

I signed up!
This will be fun. I make and drink tea at least three times a day; it's very ritualistic. It makes you feel so nice and calm, not crazy like coffee does (for me, anyway).
And there are definitely many crafting opportunities surrounding it....
I love my teapot, but it's heavy cast iron (staub) and the handles are metal, which means you have to use a mitt or towel to pick it up after you've boiled water.... kind of annoying. I've been meaning to make something, but now maybe I'll get someone else to make it for me!
I've never partaken in high tea, but it sounds delightful! I'll use any excuse to get a little fussy and fancy. I'll also use any excuse to take a break and relax! Maybe that's a big reason tea is so great.... it makes you slow down a little bit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

irish_chicky
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2006 09:06:01 AM »

I cant wait for this swap to start either, i love tea. It's so nice and soothing, rather it then coffee anyday.
I'm always looking for new tastes and aromas to try, maybe if i get someone from out of canada we can swap different teas too. some you cant get here and vise versa. Would be fun. I cant wait to get started.

I'd love to go to irland someday too, i'm part irish, hence the last name O'Donnell, but havnt had the chance to get over there yet. Hopefully when i'm finished school!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am interested in doing personal swaps!!!
Crafterbynite
Customizing the world ..one shirt at a time

Extraordinary machine!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2006 10:37:18 AM »

I cant wait for this swap to start either, i love tea. It's so nice and soothing, rather it then coffee anyday.
It makes you feel so nice and calm, not crazy like coffee does (for me, anyway).
And there are definitely many crafting opportunities surrounding it....
I love my teapot, but it's heavy cast iron (staub) and the handles are metal, which means you have to use a mitt or towel to pick it up after you've boiled water.... kind of annoying.

I agree with you both.

im sorta new to tea. I  only just started drinking recently since I can't take drinking coffee. So I only make it by using my coffee maker and throwing in a tea bag. I'd like to learn a few other techniques for better flavor and aroma
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ETSY :: Wist :: Blog :: Fb :: Twitter
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2006 12:44:30 PM »

dorkariffic, well if you come over I will loan you my cat!! (permanently!) she is sweet but very very needy, feels that her rightful position in life is in the crook of my shoulder kneading my hair!

anyway kat I will try and answer some of your questions although I am not british.
 Afternoon tea these days is generally just a brew and a biscuit, but traditionally it was at about 4-5pm, invented by hmm duchess of bedford?? (have to look that up) who had hunger pangs between lunch at 12ish and dinner at 8 in the evening, so afternoon tea happened. high tea is often a replacement for afternoon tea and dinner, being a much more substantial tea at about 6ish, To confuse things even more some people in Ireland will say I'm going home for tea, (about six-ish) but they will be having dinner, in this case it refers more to the time of day than what is actually eaten.

not many people have tea any more, you can still take afternoon tea (you always 'take' afternoon tea, never have it!) in the posh hotels, where you get dressed up and eat to generally a string quartet or something like that, afternoon tea is now mostly just a cuppa and a biscuit at work.

to confuse things even more the australians have Morning tea, which is what other countries call morning coffee, or a tea break in the mornings, again a cuppa and a biscuit or cake.

confused??

what do you know I was right about the Duchess of Bedford...*sheesh* I really need to get out more! Read all about it here!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afternoon_tea
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2006 12:49:33 PM »

Oh wow I love this, Emily Post from 1922 on the etiquette of tea parties

http://www.bartleby.com/95/13.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chan G
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2006 02:14:54 PM »

Oh wow I love this, Emily Post from 1922 on the etiquette of tea parties

http://www.bartleby.com/95/13.html

This has an entertaining read for my Monday afternoon at work. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ithinktomuch
Slightly Insane

Yarn is my drug of choice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2006 03:40:42 PM »

I last visited my british grandparents when I was 13 (and my lil sister just visited them) and i remember them offering me tea 4 times a day. They are very stereotypical british in like everything they do. And they always have afternoon tea around 4:00 and then before bed at like 10:00 as well as with meals. In my house on weekends we'll have afternoon tea (mostly during spring and summer since that's when sabbath is longest) but mostsome of us have hot cocoa and cake. And a couple of times my father has hosted a Protest July 4th Tea Party where he'll hang up picturesof queens and princes (and once a tony blair for prsident sign) as well as a british flag (in the backyard so we won't get egged) and he makes those yummy cucumber sandwiches you have with tea. He also has this humongous box of tea he bought in England and when we ask him what tea he wants he says he wants the "real tea" which refers to this box lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Let's be free to be you and me, free to crochet and knit, free to twirl hooks and click needles" -Debbie Stoller
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Save Money on Your Scrapbooking
How to Label and Identify Scrapbooking Albums
How to Get Started Scrapbooking
How to Create Background Paper for Digital Scrapbooking
How to Age a White Card Stock for Scrapbooking
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...