A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,689
Currently Running With Scissors:
762 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: Fat Quarter Knitting Needle Roll  (Read 33580 times)
Tags for this thread: gifts_for_knitters , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Dulcinea
If you haven't grown up by the time you're 30, you don't have to!

faciō, ergo sum

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 13, 2006 07:06:13 PM »

It looks like this is the best place to post this -

I wasn't really sure where to post this - so this is as good as any?

Hope this helps anyone who wants to make a knitting needle roll

tutorial for needle roll:

need:
4 fat quarters - 1 outside, 1 inside, 1 largest and smallest pocket, 1 middle pocket
1/2 yard fusible interfacing - should be 18 X 22 wide, and match the fat quarter in size
1 package double fold bias tape - should be very narrow strips - alternatively, can get regular bias tape and iron in half the long way
some sort of ribbon for tying the roll closed
1 snap (a small one to fit on the ironed in half bias tape)

iron all 4 fat quarters, and decide which piece will be which.

select the piece that is for the outside of the roll, and fuse the interfacing to the wrong side (as in, iron it till they're pretty well 1 piece of fabric).  don't worry about trimming any small margins at this point, we'll trim it all down later.

decide which piece is going to be the tallest and shortest pocket - there will be 3 levels of pockets in all.

fold this piece approximately 40% along the long edge, and tilt the edge so that you have an angle

iron this to get a crisp edge, and carefully cut along this folded line.  you will now have 2 pieces that are angled along the top edge, 1 piece will be 2-3 inches taller than the other - and don't stress about it, as long as 1 is taller than the other by a couple inches, you're fine.  this is NOT an exact science!

Now, decide which piece is going to be your middle pocket lay that RIGHT SIDE DOWN.  ON TOP OF THAT, lay the taller of your 2 matching pieces, RIGHT SIDE UP (the idea here is to reverse the angle of the slope).  Cut along that sloped line.

Lay all 3 pieces right side up the tallest will slope from the upper right to the lower left.  On top of that, put your middle pocket piece, it will slope from upper left to lower right.   On top of that, put your shortest piece, which will also slope from the upper right to the lower left.  (NOTE*** the slopes may be reversed, depending on which way you cut them) Now, slide the top 2 layers of fabric down (towards the bottom, dont let the bottom one slide though)  the idea is to have the ends of the fabric meet, so that its a zig zag look at the finished roll here, and see the 3 pieces:

You can see the zig zags, those are the black lines.

Ok, now you have all 3 pieces for the pockets, right?  Know how that middle one (and maybe the top one) are sticking out longer than the tallest pocket?  Trim that bottom, so you have 3 pieces that line up at the bottom edge.

Ok.. now were going to finish those sloped edges.

Got that bias tape?  If it isnt narrow (like the double fold), make sure youve ironed it the long way, so that you have a ^ shape that you can fold over the sloped edge of each of your 3 pieces.  You want to wrap that raw edge of fabric, and zigzag stitch it to the fabric.  USE ZIGZAG this will keep the fabric from fraying and the binding pulling off (I learned this the hard way).  I just go slowly, and zigzag along, and cut the tape when you get to the end of each piece.

STOP!!  You want to cut a piece thats about 6 inches long this is going to be your loop to hold stitch markers look at the picture aboce, I used ruler ribbon.  When you are attaching the binding to the shortest pocket, make sure you stick one end of that 6 piece under there, so that it gets sewn in.  (of course, if you forget, you can attach it from the back, later I just hate hand stitching).

Ok so now, you have 3 sloped pieces, each one has the sloped edge finished off with the bias tape and you have an inner piece (the black flowered piece, above), and an outside piece (that you cant see in the pictures)

Now, its time to start making the channels for the knitting needles.  Take your inside lining piece, and lay it right side up.  Lay each of your 3 sloped pieces, one at a time, lining up the bottom edges.  It should look pretty much like the picture, above.  Pin it so that the pieces dont slip.

Find a seam allowance marking on your machine that will give you channels between 1 and 1.5 inches.  Using that as your guide, start stitching the channels, from the bottom edge to the top of the longest layer for the pockets do a backstitch and forward to anchor each stitch line (up at the binding edge) so they dont come undone.

Make a bunch of channels.  I leave a larger pocket on the other end, for bigger stuff its entirely up to you how big or small to make that one.

When you get done, you have a 4-thickness with all the channels, right?

Good go have a drink, the hard part is done!

Now.. Lay the outside fabric right side up.  Lay your pocket piece right side down.  Line up your bottom edge if you have any trimming to do, now would be a good time.  BEFORE YOU PIN IT ALL TOGETHER. Take whatever ribbon you want to tie this thing closed, fold it in half, and slip it in between, so that a little is sticking out.  PIN IT!.  Now finish pinning the rest together remember, right sides together!

Stitch all the way around, leaving yourself a couple of inches open so that you can turn it right side out.

Turn it right side out (you knew that was coming).

Iron the whole thing, so that you have clean edges and make sure you poke at the corners to get them nice and clean.

Now, top stitch around the whole thing one more time, making sure you tuck in the couple of inch opening you had left.

(forgot the part about the snap)

Now, take that 6" piece of binding that you sewed into the shortest row.  You want to put 1/2 of the snap at the end of that (don't forget to fold it over so you don't have a raw edge), and the other 1/2 of the snap on the binding for that short row.  And please, make sure they're facing the right way - I put one on backwards, it was a bit problematic getting it off again!

Now that your snap halves are attached, you can slide your stitch markers onto it and snap it.

Voila!

PM me if you have any questions, or anything isnt clear.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007 07:55:02 AM by jMi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Veni, Vidi, Velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around

Taking a break from swaps to get some stuff under control.  Email if you need me.

Wists | Blog | Ravelry
fyberduck
the quacking fiber addict

I reject your reality and substitute my own

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006 08:03:27 PM »

*does little dance* thank you!  Now I want to get out that fabric and thread my machine Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the qfa:
unequivocally proving that knitting is not an intelligence test

Got a tape measurer?
mishti
amateur transmogrifier

Under There?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006 11:08:30 AM »

Yay!  Merry Christmas everyone!   Grin

Mom gave me a sewing machine for Christmas!  wheeee!

And now I can make myself a needle roll with your great instructions.  woohoo!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am mebellus on Ravelry
bronzfrog
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007 02:32:19 PM »

I'll have to try this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HobbyHorseAGoGo.ets y.com
Dulcinea

faciō, ergo sum

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007 02:35:33 PM »

I have some of your sewing work - you can definitely do this one, froggy!

I'll have to try this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Taking a break from swaps to get some stuff under control.  Email if you need me.

Wists | Blog | Ravelry
bronzfrog
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007 03:50:04 PM »

I've done another knitting needle roll but this one is much prettier.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HobbyHorseAGoGo.ets y.com
craftyhandbags
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007 04:45:53 PM »

The snapped stitch marker holder was genius!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When you mix red and blue, you get purple; when you mix blue and yellow, you get green; when you mix all the colors, you get a rainbow!" - wisdom from a five year old

I have an etsy!!!  http://craftybagsetc.etsy.com
Dulcinea

faciō, ergo sum

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007 05:01:15 PM »

The snapped stitch marker holder was genius!

Thanks!  It was one of those things, it seemed like a good idea at the time, on the first one I made.... so I just kept it in - I've made probably a dozen of these so far, some for swaps, and a couple for other people (like where I work), for them to give as gifts..... 1 woman, gave me about 20 skeins of left over yarn (all unused) the fat quarters for the 2 I made her, PLUS a set of fat quarters for my stash..... all so I would make the 2 for her to give as gifts.

Not a bad deal, hey?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Wists | Blog | Ravelry
the.fee.fairy
Faeryish

Flying free

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007 05:53:18 PM »

Aha! This is wonderful! I have some beautiful FQs that i didn't know what to do with - i do now!

I think i can envision Grandma's christmas present coming up too...

Thankyou so much for your really clear tute too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

'The Secret to living's Not Dying' - Kilnaboy
Dulcinea

faciō, ergo sum

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007 09:10:58 PM »

you're very welcome - if you have any issues or questions, please feel free to shoot me a PM - i'm on craftster pretty much daily.

Aha! This is wonderful! I have some beautiful FQs that i didn't know what to do with - i do now!

I think i can envision Grandma's christmas present coming up too...

Thankyou so much for your really clear tute too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Wists | Blog | Ravelry
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Fondant Dolphin
How to Make a Fondant Baby Chick
How to Make a Fondant Dinosaur
How to Make a Fondant Turtle
How to Make a Fondant Pig
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...