A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
474 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafting gods and goddesses: Come to me.  (Read 1201 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PappyCat
« on: December 13, 2006 12:31:06 PM »

Okay, so I am in need of some gift ideas for some friends and family. I know this is last minute, but I had to focus on college finals and I couldn't really find time to do Christmas stuff until now. I'm a fast worker though.

Some things to know about ME:

- I can whip things together really fast.
- I can only do BASIC sewing.
- I can't crochet or knit
- I'm pretty dandy with clay!
- Decoupage is another thing I'm dandy at!
- I'm a college student so I don't have a lot of money. I do have some stashed for this purpose, so I can spend a little.
- The nearest bigger city is an hour and a half away, so I can't get some of the more exotic items in town.

Giftees:

A gaggle of boys. (AGES 17-21) Most of my friends are guys. Geeky guys. Video games, Dungeons and Dragons, Star Wars, etc is what they (okay, we) are all about. A few of them are HARDCORE World of Warcraft players. All of them like Halo.

Mumsie. I always get her a calender (she gets upset if I don't) so I have her covered mostly. I wanted to make her some extras too. She likes sentimental stuff, jewelry (but conservative stuff.) I was thinking of making her some christmasy decorative stuff, cause she's really into that.

Daddykins. He's impossible, because he's way practical. Again, I got him a store bought bigger gift but want to rock some smaller gifts for the stocking and beyond. He likes computers, but not to a nerdy level. He really loves to cook, but he owns pretty much every cooking gadget possible. He's a radiology tech, so he does xrays and ultrasounds.  He has a GREAT sense of humor. My parents both play cribbage, and word games like scrabble and such.

A Few random girls. (Ages 17-21) Since most of my friends are guys, I always blank on what to get for the girls in my group who I am not very close to. Like, I totally consider them friends and everything, but they aren't close close friends. One really likes pin-up girls and home design and decor. The others...well...Generic.

I have a friend who always gets the greatest gifts for me. Last year she hand sculpted super nintendo controller earrings out of clay, and this year she made me a d20 (a die) pendent for my birthday. One year, I had made her an earring rack, which was pretty neat, and for her birthday I got her a scrapbook starter kit (..it wasn't preassembled.)  She likes the same things that the guys and I do, but she has a girly side too. She's 17.

I have a friend who LOVES musicals and She wants to do broadway. She's fairly sentimental but not terribly. I've gotten her some really meaningful and fantastical gifts before, so I can't really crap out this year.  She's 18.

Anyway, any ideas would be fabulous! Nothing is too small to mention, cause I love stocking stuffers!

« Last Edit: December 13, 2006 12:32:53 PM by PappyCat » THIS ROCKS   Logged
purpleone
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006 09:10:18 AM »

How about some computer game murals like bohemia's: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=130209.0
 Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
toesocksrock

They want you to take the rolls!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006 11:37:40 AM »

I made my now-ex boyfriend a dragon out of clay; I could see your guy friends liking little charicatures out of their favorite games... How much do y'all usually spend on one another?

Do you make beads out of clay? Simple bracelets and neclaces for girl pals would suffice, no? Would you ever consider a jewelry box of some kind, for your mom?

I'm always thinking of "holders," when I think of practical gifts; wouldn't it be cool to doctor up some run-of-the-mill Scrabble-letter holders with clay? Or decoupage?

I ran out of ideas. It's better than what I'm usually wont to turn out, which is nothing. Smiley

Please keep us informed of what you decide to make all of these interesting people! Smiley

xoxo
Maggi

THIS ROCKS   Logged
rockmygypsysoul
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Joker of All Trades, Master of Nonsense

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006 09:17:35 PM »

I know its really simple, but for the guys, Id run to Michaels and get a bunch of their crafting tshirts (on sale, which is usually, theyre like 4/$10) and do either some stenciling or iron-on transfers with quotes or images of their favorite movies, games, etc.

Most of the guys I know like that-its not enough to love it, they have to live it, and if they can get someone to talk to them about it, theyre good   Smiley  I know its simple, but then again, guys that age often are (and Im not knocking it, I had the same kind of friends at that age and loved em!!)

Maybe you could even find something like that for your dad, maybe along the lines of a game (like a scrabble shirt or something)

Girls...simple jewelry or picture frames-always easy.  Again, at Michaels they have wooden frames for a buck a pop...just paint or decoupage and you are good to go!!

One thing Im doing is that with every present, the person gets an ornament too...you can either buy a pack to make them with (they have supercute sculpey ones) and work with those or do your own...I have a wide mix of types Im doing (since everyone gets one)-everything from sequin balls to beaded snowflakes to shrinky-dink ornaments on prinatble paper for my nieces and nephews (of their fav cartoon characters, etc)...Im also doing a couple for my fiancee with scarface images (his entire Christmas theme is scarface, which has been an ode unto itself)

And also, as far as stocking stuffers, etc; get to the kitchen and cook, woman!   Wink  Seriously though, Im doing a lot of almonds this year-candied, cinnamon-sugar, and jordan-style and so far theyve been a HUGE hit; Im also about to try the chocolate cherry mice Ive seen on here.

Hope this helped spark the fires...good luck!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swapping up a storm here!  Totally open to personal swaps - I am always in need of awesome stuff Wink

Blog: www.alwaysbeenastorm.com
Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/alwaysbeenastorm
clacksou13
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006 07:26:22 AM »

For your dad, you could get a cheap black t-shirt and a bleach pen (or some regular bleach and a brush) and make one of those t-shirts that has the bones in your torso outlined on it so that it looks like an x-ray (there's a tutorial somewhere on craftster). 

For mom, you can decoupage a picture frame or jewelry box.  If you want to make it Christmas-y, then you can rip out a few pages from a holiday catalog and use wreaths, trees, etc., to decoupage with.  My sister made a frame for my mom's birthday using random strips of exotic paper from the backgrounds in a furniture catalog.  Try to find something that fits her personality.

For your gaggle of girl pals, polymer clay jewelry in the form of pendants or cuff bracelets is easy to make.  It doesn't require any special hardware except for some wire and is pretty easy to customize.  This year I made a bracelet with a black base and a translucent overlay, with clippings of gold wire inbetweeen, for my very glamorous friend, while I made a pink, green, and glittery purple mokune gane bracelet for a very girly friend.  You can use wire-wrapping techniques to make a pendant and then use ribbon to string it on.

For the guys, you probably want to keep it simple and make some really good food.  Cookies, brownies, cupcakes....most guys I know love to EAT!  If you're really good at sculpting, then you might be able to make action figures from their favorite games.

Finally, for your two other girl friends...if you can get to a sewing machine and fabric store, hunt through the remnants and get enough fabric to make a purse, clutch or tote for them.  There are simple tutorials on craftster to help you make them (they're mostly straight lines). You can personalize them with stencils, appliques or other trim.  You can also get a yard or two of fleece, fringe the edges, and then (if you want) applique a felt motif in the center or on a corner that your friend would like (e.g., a happy and sad face for your drama friend, something to do with gaming for your other friend).  If all else fails, use Duck Tape in differing colors!

Good luck!  I made all of my Christmas gifts this year for friends, and it's really rewarding when they ooh and ahh and you can say "I made it." 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
rakechan
little Picture drawer person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006 10:47:45 AM »

could you maybe make some sortacook book for your dad- either with his favourite recipes in, or a blank book with sections for him to write in hs favourites?

My Bro's a bit like your chap-like-friends... this  year I was REALLY stuck, so I ended out making him a sock Monkey version of himself and a journal out of an old record with a personalised illustration on the first page... previous gifts have been band/ game t-shirts, badges, a guitar strap, home made sith cloak (he keep threatening to wear it out clubbing, and his friends wont let him! heh!)  and (most impressively I thought!) a flying V ukelele (OK- that's prolly not very relevant, but thought I'd share it anyhoo...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Give Me Three Minutes -- I Will Improve Your Videos
Learn about White Balance
Learn about the Range of Available Lenses - part 2
How to use the Shutter Priority Mode or Tv Mode
How to use the Modes on Your dSLR
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...