A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,040
Currently Running With Scissors:
659 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: cold fabrics? Fabric divas need your help  (Read 662 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lady4feet
« on: December 12, 2006 06:55:34 PM »

K folks here's the background story. I recently just got a St. Bernard (His name is Bear, he's a big sweety  Grin ) he's a large dog to say the least, almost 200 lbs large with a lot of fur. We live in AL and he seems to prefer to sleep on the bathroom floor cause it's cooler. I'd really like him to have a bed cause I know when he gets older he's going to need one (they have joint problems).

Are there any fabrics that seem to not hold the heat in as much as others? I was planning on getting some thick foam, wrapping that in an old blanket/comforter and making a removable slip cover (drool folks lots of drool) out of some nice cool fabric. Any suggestions on what to use? Or if this is a crappy idea what to do. *sigh* it was so much easier to make a bed for my maltese.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kaos
A random assortment of artistic delicacies.

Photo editors are dangerous...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006 07:14:44 PM »

I would suggest some kind of mesh maybe...so air could move through it. Or if you want something absorbent, maybe some cotton jersey. Good luck! I'd love to see what you come up with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

butterbean
Comptroller of Messes

Puppy juice!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006 11:47:57 AM »

Unfortunately the foam itself will hold in the heat.  Figured that out on my own bed LOL.  How about just making him a big ol' blanket with some nice fleece?  My dogs always liked that... they liked to dig around on it and worry it into the shape they wanted, plus it's easy to wash either at home or at the laundrymat.

Holly
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lady4feet
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006 08:25:48 AM »

Thanks for the input guys. I may forgo the foam, especially after I priced it the other day. I'm leaning toward a nice big fluffy blanket.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mamastar
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006 12:03:54 PM »

I made a huge round bed for my doggie. one side is a thick twill and the other is a heavy duty, nubby fleece. For the inside i made a pillow out of cedar shavings and a bunch of leftover fabric. i covered that with the cheapest fabric i could find then put a zipper on the outer cover so i could remove and wash it. and when the inside gets nasty, i just toss it and make another one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006 10:48:05 AM »

I've been doing research on dog beds and it was recomended to use a crib matttress for the inside. you can get them off freecycle if you're a member. which I think you are. I too have a big dog but she's not going to be that big. (lab and goldie) and I'm hoping to make her a bed at some point using this method. As for cold fabrics I can't really help but I just thought I'd throw that in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissCara

Do not fear mistakes, there are none. -- Davis

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007 12:35:56 AM »

Have you ever grabbed a nylon winter coat after wearing it outside and realized that that sucker stays cold?  Nylon!  It's not the best wearing fabric but it certainly stays chilly for a while.  For that matter, tiles do warm up after a period of sitting on them.  You might want to try nylon over fleece or something of that sort.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

><-- Miss Cara --><
erikau
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007 07:00:08 AM »

There are raised dog beds available which are made out of really big (2-3 inch?) pvc pipes, 3 way joints and caps.  They have short legs-6 inches-with a cap on the bottom.  The 3 way joints shouldnt be the t shaped ones, the legs all need to be at 90 degree angles to each other so one points down, one points toward the length side, and the other points toward the width side. (hard to explain.  imagine it as being one corner of a cube).  The hammock part is usually made out of one of the outdoor mesh fabrics.  The manufactured ones have casings sewn in  (with the corners cut out and bound), the casings should be a little shorter than the pvc sides, which are inserted before the joints are cemented into place.  I think on a homemade version grommets and rope lacing underneath might be be a good way to go, you could tighten it up as it loosens, or replace it completely.    These beds allow air to circulate, but get the dog off the hard floor. (you can also scrub them like patio furniture) With a Saint, you might want to put an extra pair of legs in the middle of the longer side for added support.  Try googling for raised dog beds or pvc dog beds for pictures.

You could always put the blanket *under* the bed to soak up the drool!

erika

edited to add:
I just googled pvc dog bed instructions, the first two (nonsponsored) links have very good instructions. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007 07:10:50 AM by erikau » THIS ROCKS   Logged
lady4feet
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007 08:13:21 AM »

Thanks for the responses guys. It seems Bear has been content to take over our giant bean bag chair for now. I like the idea of the raised bed idea. Maybe I can try it for the bedroom and the bean bag can stay in the living room.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Edit with Final Cut Pro
Johnny Depp In Depth
Olivia Wilde - TRON: Legacy
Watch, Pass, or Rent: Love, Burlesque, Tangled, & King
Watch, Pass, or Rent: Harry Potter & The Next Three Days
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...