A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,471
Currently Running With Scissors:
558 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knock-off For a Plus Sized Diva  (Read 7956 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

i_squared_u

hurray for right angles!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006 04:55:03 PM »

10-12 is plus sized?  really?

jesus, have i been living in denial!

Undecided

Yea I didn't believe it until one of my friend's who works for a fashion company told me that a US size 10 is the industry baseline for plus-size.

Madness.

That's actually for a plus sized MODEL (US size 10-12).  Typically, US 'plus size' is size 15/16 on up.  Thats what the 'plus sized' stores carry anyway.  And you cant' get above a size 13/14 in regular boutiques.  Size 10 is if you want to be a plus sized model.....but we all know that's LOW, since they consider size 0-2 for 'regular' models....and we KNOW that doesn't represent us 'regular' peoples.

Thanks for the correction OY. It's rather funny (and somewhat depressing) to think that plus size models could be too slim to fit in plus size clothing. Oh what a world we live in...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OriginalYouth
Random Snarky Crafted Goodness!

Snarkier than Thou...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006 07:49:05 PM »

Thanks for the correction OY. It's rather funny (and somewhat depressing) to think that plus size models could be too slim to fit in plus size clothing. Oh what a world we live in...
It's true, right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hellokittyonacid
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007 05:23:41 PM »

oh my thats a very nice dress/shirt. do it, it looks awsome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tickleagangster
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007 09:58:02 AM »

Hey Keena! I just took my daughter to Urban Outfitters yesterday and they had several versions of the dress you pictured, so of course I took them off the hanger to examine.  I was pretty close in my quess to how they were made.  The thinner the fabric the more drape you get.  They are basically a rectangle, (think 1 1/2 yard of fabric selvage to selvage,) scrunched up at the wrists and caught with a band/cuff.  The neckline can either be straight across or you can cut a V-neck.  The sides are straight up/down elastic, and you can make it as close to your body/figure that you want.  Now to add a skirt to the bottom, I would say you should measure around your booty with some more fabric folded in half with the selvage side up to make a tube.  Sew the skirt to the bottom of the top before you add the elastic.  Anyway, I found the fabric I'm going to use at a thrift store (I'm cheap), it's a patterned jersey that doesn't look too bad, and heck, for a $1.98 for 4 yards, who's complaining!!  I'm finally going to try to make it this week, but I'm so broke right now I can't afford the elastic! (Now, you know that's broke!) But I cant' wait to post it so someone else can make it too.  Even my 19yr old said it's a hot dress!  And they cost $88 at Urban.       
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Say hello to my lil' friend!
Keena
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007 01:41:26 PM »

Hey Keena! I just took my daughter to Urban Outfitters yesterday and they had several versions of the dress you pictured, so of course I took them off the hanger to examine.  I was pretty close in my quess to how they were made.  The thinner the fabric the more drape you get.  They are basically a rectangle, (think 1 1/2 yard of fabric selvage to selvage,) scrunched up at the wrists and caught with a band/cuff.  The neckline can either be straight across or you can cut a V-neck.  The sides are straight up/down elastic, and you can make it as close to your body/figure that you want.  Now to add a skirt to the bottom, I would say you should measure around your booty with some more fabric folded in half with the selvage side up to make a tube.  Sew the skirt to the bottom of the top before you add the elastic.  Anyway, I found the fabric I'm going to use at a thrift store (I'm cheap), it's a patterned jersey that doesn't look too bad, and heck, for a $1.98 for 4 yards, who's complaining!!  I'm finally going to try to make it this week, but I'm so broke right now I can't afford the elastic! (Now, you know that's broke!) But I cant' wait to post it so someone else can make it too.  Even my 19yr old said it's a hot dress!  And they cost $88 at Urban.       

wow, thx. i should look at the urbanO website and see it myself as well. u just gave me an idea of another garment i can make for my fashion show

you're the best. thx for remembering me and this post..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dont-panic

honk if you love justice

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2007 09:31:07 AM »

I gave it a whirl - this http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=151418.0 is what I came up with.

I really like it and am going to try it again in a heavier fabric so it can be closer to the original!

Thanks for the inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so.

-Douglas Adams
BlkRze
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007 08:23:35 AM »

I went out today and found some shimmery grey knit jersey.I am going to try to make this.If I pull it off I will attempt to post a pic (which I have not done on craftster as of yet)
And I am also a curvy mama so let's work it out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Keena
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007 02:35:52 PM »

i tried and got tired of trying...  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BlkRze
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2007 06:29:47 PM »

Ok.I finished my version of the dress and I am extremely satisfied(all though I will more or likely wear it over a pair of jeans).
I just posted the pics over on the clothing for curvatious craftster (that's me) board
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sterlinggurl
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2007 01:54:38 PM »

10-12 is plus sized?  really?

jesus, have i been living in denial!

Undecided

Yea I didn't believe it until one of my friend's who works for a fashion company told me that a US size 10 is the industry baseline for plus-size.

Madness.

Yuppers ladies..... In the modeling industry if ur a size 10 or bigger... THATS plus size..... I was a Plus size model for a bit.... and ("regular size" when I was a teenie bopper)

I think Plus size for fashion is 14 and up at least for main stream lines like Lane Bryant.. couture I think is lower like the model biz....... but for models it  is 10 and up because of camera angles... I believe...

and all this in a world where 14 is the average size.....wtf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I will do personal swaps!! Beads, findings, etc
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Brooklyn Artist Creates Light Bulb Headed Sculptures
An Artist Creates Balancing Sculptures Using Stones
Artist Creates Humanoid Heads from Discarded Dolls
Winter Weather: Amazing Ice Architecture Worldwide
Spanish Artist Creates Cement Human Sculptures
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...