A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 304,759
Currently Running With Scissors:
768 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Silhouettes! Cheap, thoughtful present - with tutorial.  (Read 3705 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GhostAcademy
« on: December 12, 2006 01:08:15 PM »

I love old silhouettes, and I decided to make them as christmas presents for relatives with kids.

This isn't the best tutorial, but it's my first one.

Materials needed:
-old frame
-profile photo
-black cardstock
-scrapbooking paper
-cardboard or foamcore board
-paint and brushes
-sandpaper
-xacto knife
-scissors
-gluestick

That seems like a lot of stuff, but I'm betting most craftsters have almost all of it lying around the house already  Wink

Step 1:  prepping your frames:  I bought old frames for $2 at a thrift store.  (you could also just buy new frames and skip this step to make this project faster.)
Clean your frames and sand them lightly (to rough up the surface so the paint will stick better)
This is what mine looked like  before - pretty ugly, no?

Step 2:  I used 2 colors of paint for an antiquey feel.  If you want to do this, paint an undercoat of a color that will compliment the final color you want the frames to be.  I painted all of mine a warm mustard yellow (not nearly as bright as in the picture)

Step 3:  Paint a couple top coats of whatever color you want the frames to be.  Let it DRY THOROUGHLY and then lightly sand it.  The undercoat will show through a bit and give the paint more depth.  Clean the glass and you should be good to go.

Step 4:  Open up your profile picture in your photo editing software and play with the brightness and contrast until the lines are sharp (like you would for a stencil).  Print out the picture onto heavy paper and cut it out with an xacto knife.

Step 5:  trace the cut out photo onto black cardstock and cut it out with an xacto knife.  if you flip it over, you won't be able to see any of the pencil marks. 

turn this:

into this:

Step 6:  glue the black silhouette onto a piece of scrapbooking paper.  Then get another complementing paper the same size and cut an oval that will frame the silhouette out of the center.

Step 7:  Trace the oval frame picture onto a piece of cardboard or foamcore (I used black foamcore board from Michael's) and cut out a matching piece. 
This is the 3 layers:  foam core, top frame, and silhouette:

Step 8:  glue the decorative frame on top of the foam core and then glue that over the silhouette. put it all back in the frame and voila!  You're done.

Comments appreciated  Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I read your manifestos and strange religious tracts.  You took me to your library and kissed me in the stacks.

http://www.ghostacademy.blogspot.com  http://www.onfirewithfireflies.blogspot.com
Trifarina

apathetic misanthrope

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006 01:17:08 PM »

Those are really neat!  If I had kids I would want those!  (and a nanny or a large dog crate)

Wow, I could totally see applying the technique to other things.  That could even be a neat wedding thingie if you did the couple.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006 01:22:18 PM »

Great idea! I just saw a whole thing on silhouettes on CBS's Sunday Morning. They have a long rich history.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jesgia
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006 01:26:10 PM »

OOH, bookmarking!!  This will be great for my baby girl as she grows up!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kisses~ Jessica
GhostAcademy
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006 01:49:44 PM »

If I had kids I would want those!  (and a nanny or a large dog crate)

ha ha ha!   Grin I second that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I read your manifestos and strange religious tracts.  You took me to your library and kissed me in the stacks.

http://www.ghostacademy.blogspot.com  http://www.onfirewithfireflies.blogspot.com
Nesse
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006 01:50:25 PM »

ohhh brilliant!
ps, I can see your reflection  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TerryMcClary

Caffeine isn't a drug, it's a vitamin!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006 01:53:17 PM »

Very sweet. I can vouch for the fact that these make great keepsakes. My husband and I had one done of us together on our honeymoon at Disneyland almost 15 years ago. It is our favorite wedding keepsake.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GhostAcademy
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006 04:59:47 PM »

ohhh brilliant!
ps, I can see your reflection  Cheesy
I should have brushed my hair Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

princess*of*capri
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006 05:28:45 PM »

These are absolutely wonderful. And they sound so much easier than getting out a big lamp and tracing your shadow. Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I joined the Wists bandwagon!!! http://www.wists.com/princess_of_capri
poppysmum

Mei has arrived! Pic ASAP...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006 10:11:00 PM »

These are beautiful! I'm going to do this for my sis... & mum & dad...& the inlaws... &... Cheesy Thanks for a fabulous idea!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Half-Up Updo
How to Do a Low Ponytail
How to Manage Long Hair in Hot Weather
How to Style Long Hair to Look Short
How to Condition Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...