A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,217
Currently Running With Scissors:
611 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: the art of shrinkdinking  (Read 5021 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinup_dream
« on: December 12, 2006 12:32:06 PM »

I understand the standard way to color a shrinky dink is with colored pencil, but I didn't like the pencilishness of the color after it got taken out of the oven.  I read on the website that acrylic paint also works, but it didn't shrink with the plastic when I tried.  Is there a secret, unknown method of coloring a shrinky dink that will yield nice, solid results?   Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"To the world you are one, but to one you are the world..."
Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

Wanted for gluing googly eyes to other googly eyes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006 12:36:30 PM »

I'm pretty sure I've used sharpie permanent markers in the past - and kids' (water soluble) markers with projects I've done with children.
Do a few small, test-type objects & see how they work for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

slb2724
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006 05:25:27 PM »

SHARPIES ALL THE WAY! they work well, and dont give you the nasty pencil lines! plus, no matter the dont smudge in the rain or anything! i wouls perhaps get a fine tip black sharpie though, they really help with the outlines!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.beadsnthings.etsy.com

"I've ot a jar of dirt! And guess whats inside it!"-Jack Sparrow
pantsafari
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006 08:45:52 PM »

i use prismacolor markers. they are a bit pricey, but they work for everything. i have also used fabric markers on shrinky dink plastic... it was all i had handy, since i was being lazy, and it worked out fine... im not a fan of colored pencil as a medium for anything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The never ending quest for pants continues...
floatingmoon
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007 03:16:26 AM »

I want to try stamping on the shrink plastic, but after I bake it, the color smear off.

Q:What kind of INK PAD should I use ? Or it's there such ink pad?

I know permenant pen (or oilbase color) works on shrink plastic.
But I don't want to color my friend's stamps with permenant pen.

Q: I know nail polish will smear color off, so what kind of 'surface protector' should I use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We see the throns of the others, but we cannot see the log of timber in our eyes.
Gwydion
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007 07:10:12 AM »

Acrylic paint will stick better and will shrink with your plastic if you lightly sand the plastic first with a very fine-grain sandpaper.  Let the acrylic dry most of the way before shrinking, and don't run the acrylic paint all the way to the edge of the plastic, as it does seem to make the edges go all wonky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IamSusie
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007 07:33:20 AM »

Better quality pencils will give you better results. I vote sharpies though...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AmyAwesome!
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007 08:00:40 PM »

i used paints pens and they worked well but im gonna try sharpies now, cheaper with a good variety of colors
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pantsafari
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007 08:07:39 PM »

I want to try stamping on the shrink plastic, but after I bake it, the color smear off.

Q: I know nail polish will smear color off, so what kind of 'surface protector' should I use?

if youre looking to stamp on shrink plastic you have to use a permanent ink (pigment ink)  i personally use a brand called "Fabrico" its also permanent on fabric when heat set. i also use stamp'n'up  brand pigment ink pads. they work the same. there are a ton of brands out there, just look for the ones that say they are permanent or heat settable.
as for a clear protective coat try a fixative. (i use krylon brand) its in a spray can like spray paint but it is a clear coating that comes in different finishes (matte, gloss etc.)

Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IamSusie
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007 08:26:34 PM »

I used clear nail polish to seal mine..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

floatingmoon
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007 09:00:44 PM »

I used clear nail polish to seal mine..

Well, I use permanent color pen to draw on the plastic, when I use nail polish, the color smear off.

So may be u are using pencil crayon?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We see the throns of the others, but we cannot see the log of timber in our eyes.
IamSusie
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007 06:48:01 AM »

So may be u are using pencil crayon?

Yes, I did.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RubyPurl
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007 08:48:47 AM »

The krylon fixative...do you spray it before or after you bake the shrinky dinks?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk."
pantsafari
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007 11:43:29 AM »

after. i think if you did it before and then applied heat it would create toxic fumes that would not be happy to breathe. so after you shrink, spray.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RubyPurl
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2007 03:51:13 PM »

Cool, thanks for the tip! I went and picked up some after work today but I just realized it is white, ugh!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IamSusie
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2007 04:29:47 PM »

Oooh! I like the white! I think you are lucky  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

floatingmoon
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2007 05:29:22 PM »

Cool, thanks for the tip! I went and picked up some after work today but I just realized it is white, ugh!  Wink

I prefer the transparent one too. If you want the transparent to be more white, just use sand paper to scrub it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

swift

That's never a pit bull!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2007 03:27:35 PM »

I did some shrinky dinks this weekend. I have an Epson printer, which is supposed to be not great for the ink jet ones, so I sprayed them twice with the Krylon acrylic matte spray after they cooled down. I held down the sprayer for about the count of 10, moving the can back and forth over the parchment paper. I let it set for a while -- long enough to eat breakfast -- then sprayed them again. They work great! Before spraying, the ink was coming off when I touched it. Now -- well, they're sealed well enough to be keychains!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's not an obsession. It's a quest for excellence!"
RubyPurl
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2007 02:52:54 PM »

Oooh! I like the white! I think you are lucky  Smiley

Well I have not returned it yet so...I may have to give it a try and then go get the transparant one too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

floatingmoon
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2007 01:25:48 PM »

if youre looking to stamp on shrink plastic you have to use a permanent ink (pigment ink)  i personally use a brand called "Fabrico" its also permanent on fabric when heat set. i also use stamp'n'up  brand pigment ink pads. they work the same. there are a ton of brands out there, just look for the ones that say they are permanent or heat settable.
as for a clear protective coat try a fixative. (i use krylon brand) its in a spray can like spray paint but it is a clear coating that comes in different finishes (matte, gloss etc.)

Hope that helps!

I tried pigment ink in a workshop, but the ink smear off, or I guess they have a wrong cover on the ink pad (someone mix it up by accident) I dunno.

I am not sure if I want to take risk of spend the money to by the 'suppose to work' ink pad. Coz they are not cheap. Or I will ask the sales in the store before I buy it.

I will have to see how much is the spray before I consider buying it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DebbieJ
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2007 01:46:41 PM »

Has anyone used the black shrinky dink plastic?  I have some, but have never used it.  I bought it several years ago in a trial pack from somewhere online.  I did like the shrinky dink sheets that go in inkjet printers.  I had a Canon (loved it!), but it died. =(  The ink didn't rub off with it.  I don't think it's work in the laser printer thought. I guess I'll have to ask for another inkjet and get some more shrinky dink plastic at the store.  You all have got me back interested in this.

BTW, I have some shrinky dink charms that my daughter made me when her oldest (13) son was a baby.  They still look as good as the day she made them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Debbie J
Homegrown Texan
floatingmoon
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2007 05:11:13 PM »

Has anyone used the black shrinky dink plastic?  I have some, but have never used it.  I bought it several years ago in a trial pack from somewhere online.  I did like the shrinky dink sheets that go in inkjet printers.  I had a Canon (loved it!), but it died. =(  The ink didn't rub off with it.  I don't think it's work in the laser printer thought. I guess I'll have to ask for another inkjet and get some more shrinky dink plastic at the store.  You all have got me back interested in this.

BTW, I have some shrinky dink charms that my daughter made me when her oldest (13) son was a baby.  They still look as good as the day she made them.

I think some shrink plastic sheet aren't meant for printers. You have to buy those 'special' shrink plastic sheet, that said it can go thru the printer.

I know about black shrink plastic sheet. But I am not sure how to work on it. I guess neon and metallic color would be pretty  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pantsafari
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2007 05:56:17 PM »

I tried pigment ink in a workshop, but the ink smear off, or I guess they have a wrong cover on the ink pad (someone mix it up by accident) I dunno.

I am not sure if I want to take risk of spend the money to by the 'suppose to work' ink pad. Coz they are not cheap. Or I will ask the sales in the store before I buy it.

well im sorry i didnt work for you i have never had a problem with it. maybey youre stamping on the worng side of the pastic...to behonest i have never had a problem with smearing EVER so im a bit shocked that there are so many of you that are having problems...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

floatingmoon
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2007 10:35:21 PM »

well im sorry i didnt work for you i have never had a problem with it. maybey youre stamping on the worng side of the pastic...to behonest i have never had a problem with smearing EVER so im a bit shocked that there are so many of you that are having problems...

ah? there is a wrong side of the plastic? The plastic I brought is transparent, both sides are glossy and smooth.

~*~*~*~*~*~

BAKING TIME?? all different?

I started shrink plastic art, when I saw it in the dollar store. It's not a blank sheet, one side is matt with preprint cartoons on it.
The baking instruction is like this: (summerized and edited)
1.preheat the electric oven to 300F (150C) for 2 mins.
2.Place the color side down on a aluminum cookie sheet.
3.Put into the oven and bake for 1-5 mins. Bake until shrink stops and design lies flat again.
4.Remove cookie sheet from oven and allow to cool.

I then brought a sheet of shrink plastic at Daiso. Well, the instruction is in japanese (I don't comprehend). So I am still testing the baking time, with reference of the instruction from the dollar store plastic.

The questions is: do you find plastic sheets from different brand are different in baking time?
Can you tell me about the those time? I want to test them.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007 01:32:05 AM by floatingmoon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

slb2724
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2007 07:55:56 AM »

ah? there is a wrong side of the plastic? The plastic I brought is transparent, both sides are glossy and smooth.

The questions is: do you find plastic sheets from different brand are different in baking time?
Can you tell me about the those time? I want to test them.

well, for starters thats your problem. you need to slightly sand one side to rough it up a bit. then put ink on the rough side.... all shrinkies do (or should) come with instructions SOMEWHERE......that explains how long and the temp....usually (with the ones i have) you bake for 5-6 mins....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pantsafari
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2007 10:38:03 AM »

i wouldnt know about baking times i use a heat gun to shrink mine. takes less time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

floatingmoon
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2007 08:26:56 PM »

i wouldnt know about baking times i use a heat gun to shrink mine. takes less time.

I tried using my friend hot gun (I don't have one). The plastic blow away. haha

So, do you scrub before you stamp on the plastic??

slb2724,
I see masterpiece that did not scrub, but the stamp stays on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pantsafari
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2007 08:21:17 AM »

you have to hold the plastic down with something (i use tweezers) so it doesnt blow away.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

floatingmoon
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2007 01:02:09 AM »

(I am not talking about shrink plastic for fruit basket)

I know there is shrink plastic sheets for putting in the 'home-use' printer. Anyone use this kind of sheets before?

Q1:
Do they have transparent and non-frost plastic sheets?
And the ink from printer is not oil base (I dont think so), so will the color come off from the sheets?

In case, the store I have physical access to, don't have krylon fixative, any other 'sealing' 'protective' product I can use?
(nail polish only works for pencil crayon)

And I guess spray sealer is less chance to smear of the color when I applying onto the plastic?

Q2:
Well, I checked out those Staz-On ink pad, it's a bit expensive for me. And also, I like to have different colors too.
If I use water-base ink pad on the plastic, bake it then put spray sealer on the plastic, will it work?

Cheesy  Thank you  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

pantsafari
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2007 06:13:00 PM »

using a water based ink will not work, even if you use a sealer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MizPants
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2007 04:46:51 PM »

Hope that helps!

I'm sooo late in finding this thread, but I have a suggestion.

If you're using rubber stamps, look for DYE inks or a brand of solvent ink called Staz On (which is what I use on shrinky dinks and it works great). Dye inks dry much quicker than pigment (Colorbox and Brilliance are pigment ink brands) and Staz On is permanent ink--you need a special solution to clean it off your rubber stamps (unlike pigment and dye which can be wiped off with baby wipes or other gentle washes or just soap and water).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

floatingmoon
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2007 04:10:30 AM »

Yes, I read that StazOn ink pad works on shrink plastic. However they are kind of pricy, so now I am trying to figure it out what color I want, coz i only going to buy ONE.

And also, have anyone try using 'crayon' on shrink plastic?
(I mean 'crayon', not pencil crayon)
If you do, how does it turns out? does the color went off easily??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xbostonvanillax
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2007 05:49:51 AM »

dont even THINK about using a crayon on your shrinky dinks. first of all, you know that crayons are wax? wax melts...just, dont try it. i dont think the wax will shrink either...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loving since summer '07 <3
slb2724
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2007 01:15:46 PM »

dont even THINK about using a crayon on your shrinky dinks. first of all, you know that crayons are wax? wax melts...just, dont try it. i dont think the wax will shrink either...
the crayons would just melt and fall off. its like diping your finger in candle wax and peeling it off. it wont shrink either...'cause its wax.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

giddygirlie

not to be confused with giggly girlie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2007 03:21:46 PM »

I need to post some pictures of my recent batch, but I have the following advice to offer:

1) a fine point Sharpie is the best thing for outline (if you prefer to stamp, maybe trace with a Sharpie after?). If you trace on the "rough" side, it will still bleed a bit. If you trace on the "smooth" side, it seems to come off a bit easier, but easier to see.
2) trace the outline on the "smooth" side but color on the "rough" side -- gives it a cool effect
3) Prismacolor markers work the best (I have found)
4) Remember that colors shrink, and therefore intensify when baked
5) When baking, place the paper smooth side DOWN. Bake in small batches.
6) When the time is up (mine calls for 3 minutes), take the pan out and press the shrinkies flat -- some of them curl up slightly, but are malleable for a few minutes after baking

I like making tiny charms, so I start with designs that are under 3 inches to begin with. I have found that larger than that, and the shrinky paper sometimes curls sideways and there isn't anything you can do about it -- it's the plastic fibers that pull it sideways.

I'll post pictures of my latest work tonight. www.flickr.com/photos/giddygirlie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jordyca
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2008 09:46:21 AM »

HI, doen anyone know where if I can find it, shrink plastic,  somewhere in san diego? I live in mexico and I'm dying to have some of this plastic but can't find it here, soI ask a friend of mine that is going to san diego to bring me some.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://guaya.wordpress.com/
graphic designer at day, bartender on the weekends, and a crazy craftster by night.
odd_artist
WEIRD IS GOOD!

Twister of Minds

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2008 10:29:02 AM »

You can use lids off of take-out containers too. I also read somewhere that any #6 plastic will work.
But don't try the transparency sheets that you run through the printer for over-head projectors - I tried last night, and all they do is puff and melt.
I am  trying some other office supplies tonight, and I'll let you know if I find anything that works.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy shop!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
An Interview with Comic Book Artist Mike Allred
Interview With Veteran Comic Book Artist Herb Trimpe
Interview With Comic Book Illustrator Dale Eagelsham
How to Draw Davy Jones from Pirates of the Caribbean
How to Draw the Joker from Batman
Latest Blog Articles
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...