A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,712
Currently Running With Scissors:
454 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mailable goodies  (Read 1594 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

omalleysbar
« on: September 27, 2004 08:02:01 AM »

A friend of mine is a first year medical student away from home.  He is stressed waay out.  I am wanting to mail him some food goodies but I have a) never mailed food items before and need instruction on how to get them there in one piece and b) would like some ideas.  I have already decided to make him the anatomical heart cookies.  What are some things you guys have done?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indiaromeo
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004 08:16:59 AM »

I mailed out some Xmas cookies last year, and it worked pretty well. I used tins and plastic containers that held the cookies without a whole lot of extra space for them to rattle around in. Then, I packed them in cardboard boxes that were big enough to hold enough packing materials (styrofoam, newspaper, etc.), so that the cookie container was well padded and wouldn't budge when I shook the box.

And of course, this goes without saying - don't use anything perishable in them like frosting that needs to be refrigerated, etc. And pay the extra to have them go Priority (or Express if you can afford it) - the less time they're traveling, the less of a chance there will be for them to get broken!

Inevitably, some of the cookies will break, but they'll still taste good! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely things for lovely people: www.indiaromeo.com
Because MALL is a four-letter word: www.thehandmademarket.com
Handcrafted adornments for body & home: www.thehandmaidens.com
julieatcocoabliss

mmmmm...... chocolate!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2004 10:08:27 AM »

Yep, unless you use perishables (eg truffles, fresh chocolates) you can get away with regular mail. Otherwise same day/overnight delivery is your choice. UPS generally has the better prices.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Julie
Professional Chocolatier
Veggiechick
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2004 05:08:51 PM »

My grandma sends out food for christmas every year and in my entire life time only one thing has broken. The key is making sure that there's enough padding (ie, bubble wrap) especially on breakable items. Pretty much each item is wrapped seperately in bubble wrap (but so is pretty much everything she sends my way.) Another way to package cookies is in bags or boxes, but in rows so that they can't move around.... canned food is of course easiest to send but it weighs a ton. That's my $.02. Good luck - I'm sure he'll enjoy his gifts, they are very thoughtful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Milano Cookies Sculpture by Robin Antar
The Jean Jacket Sculpture by Robin Antar
The Pencil Sculpture by Robin Antar
The Wall Sculpture by Robin Antar
About the Dying Art of Stone Carving
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...