A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,330
Currently Running With Scissors:
678 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Boston-Area: Thrift Stores  (Read 28794 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jcis27
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2004 07:05:48 AM »

Nice to hear that retro vixen is good--I drive past every day on the way to work but haven't had time to go in yet. Do you know if they do consignment? (for used clothing, I mean)  Nice to hear that there's someone else on the North Shore on craftster, too. Smiley

OMG!! marylou lord owns it??? she did a song with billy corgan!!! agghh!!! thats awesome!! whoo the hell is marylou lord anyway?

anywho i went in there with my mom. i looked so uncool. i think the guy behind the counter thought i was so cheap. i had no $ so i bought a $3 tank top and a $5 knit purse that i couldve made my self Sad but i dont think they do consignment, i suggest you call up. the guy just kinda sits there all day hehehe. the decor is so cool. i need a job. i want to shop there. doews anyone know why retro vixen opened in beverly? i am ashamed of my town. full of druggie posers and snobby art school students. i feel so unwelcome here.*tangent* sorry. oh the shame. so why is an original store like that here? i'd expect it in
brattleboro VT or in Cambridge MA but not here!
:: silvercrank sadness::

*woah* you should be more kind, i went to montserrat and i watched rantoule (sp?) street turn from icky and scary into a kind of hip cleaner street.  and i think the "snobby art students" are partly responsible.  not to sound "snobby" but i think we brought in a lot of diversity and created more of a market for interesting stores.  (not to mention the silly "evil wind" tattoo place, whatever.)  i spent four years there & watched the whole town evolve into a friendlier place.  i know our place there is controversial, and that we definitely affect the community, both positively and negatively.  one thing i feel confident about is the fact that we've created a more cultured enviornment for you to live in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
silvercrank
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2004 04:41:24 PM »

yeah i know what you mean, about being 'cleaned up' and evil winds, i dont mind that place, it's the kind of people they draw. i've gone in there, they're cool; but i've also met a girl whose b/f works there and the girl was one of hate-thyself-goths -- she was like  i am 22 and i was in the marines and i almost died of a heart attack at 16 b/c i was smoking a cigarette while wearing a nicotine patch... and she was wwiiiieeeerrdd. i'm just sick of the grant street crackheads and all of that....i like the town itself, its the people i'm complaining about -- and i have seemed to stumble upon the poser montserrat kids i guess, oh well. sorry to you good kidz out there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alea
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2004 08:09:20 PM »

You should try living in Salem. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jcis27
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2004 07:25:29 AM »

ha... my best friend lives on derby, right next to the purple scorpion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JHK

The love of her life was not a man.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2004 05:20:15 PM »

There is a great consignment shop called Raspberry Beret at 1110 Main Street in Wakefield, MA.  They carry new and second-hand clothing and great jewels, bags and trinkets made by artists.  

They're open Wednesday-Saturday from 10am-8pm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find the prhase that fits you perfectly at www.nathanlovesmary.com
DizzyMarmalade

curiouser and curiouser....

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2004 08:52:11 PM »

The salvation army on rt. 1 in saugus is the mother of all thrift stores. They're HUGE, and constantly restocking...
  everyday they have a different dollar sale.... you know, red tags for a dollar....tra-la-la
    quite good if you're into re-crafting old clothes...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

**in the end, we are nothing more than smoke and memories... and maybe we might even become fairy-tales... someday**
citymama
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2004 09:04:51 PM »

I like the Goodwill in Davis Square, Somerville the best. Two floors of stuff and generally really nice staff. They tend to give you price breaks if they know you. Salvation Army between Central and MIT is very tiny and crowded but sometimes has some good books and new stuff in the glass counter up front. But I haven't been to the Salvation Army in Saugus yet. Must try it some day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beva
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2004 01:48:09 PM »

Hello crafty Mass:

For about a year now I have been collecting vintage linens, bottles and also sorts of other "junk".  Having a very low craft ability I am seeking someone crafty to help me piece together pillows and curtians in exchange for materials, cash, whatever.

I also have two working vintage sewing machines, one of which is up for grabs to the helpful crafter.

If you can sew it, build it, make it happen, lemme know.

Best,
Beva
THIS ROCKS   Logged
quarkiegirl

Keep it loose, keep it tight.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2004 01:14:21 PM »

the hadassah way thrift shop at packard's corner is great. they have a different "sale" every day of the week (monday all accessories are 25% off, other days are clothes, etc.). they have a great selection of furniture, books, toys too. and they offer a student discoutn, which is great. they tend to give you a deal if you go in there a lot too. it's my favorite place in boston to thrift.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PollyEsther
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2004 08:10:35 AM »

The Goodwill on Mass Ave in Central Sq Cambridge is my favorite place to buy books and the occasional pair of jeans, but it's really kind of small for anything else.  The Salvation Army on Rte 1 is amazing, though. I just wish I could figure out how to get there on the bus...

And (as of last summer, I haven't been there since), there is a tiny little thrift store in Union Square in Somerville. Not a great selection, but super cheap and you can sometimes haggle with the ladies who run the place.

Does anybody know what happened to the Saint Vincent de Paul thrift store ine Central Square? The last time I went there, some other store had moved into the space. Did it move, or just fold?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2004 08:44:43 AM by PollyEsther » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Soup Dumplings
How To Make Sushi Rice At Your Home
How to Make Japanese Katsudon
String Beans with Sesame Seasoning Recipe
How to Make Kakitama-Jiru
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...