A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,628
Currently Running With Scissors:
693 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Boston-Area: Thrift Stores  (Read 26954 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« on: August 01, 2003 11:13:39 PM »

got more to add? respond to this thread...

Urban Renewals
122 Brighton Ave.
Allston/Brighton
Boston

Saint Vincent de Paul Thrift Shop
50 Prospect St.
Central Square
Cambridge

Savers locations:
http://www.savers.com/whoweare/us/ma.php

Goodwill thrift stores in the area:
http://goodwillmass.org

Salvation Army thrift stores:
http://www.salvationarmy-usaeast.org/cgi-bin/database/db.cgi?db=thrift2&uid=default&State=Massachusetts&sb=2&so=ascend&view_records=View+Records

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 04:00:08 PM by -1 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
ErinTheRed

Future Queen of Comicazi

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2003 02:48:54 AM »

The Garment District
200 Broadway, Cambridge, MA, 02139

Planet Aid30 John F. Kennedy Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
Phone: (617) 354-6413
or
306 Newbury Street
Boston, MA 02115
Phone: (617) 262-9337
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 04:00:00 PM by 1062345600 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sparky
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2003 11:51:29 PM »

One note on Savers - they have cool stuff (and for those of us with allergies, tend to be less dusty than many other thrift stores), but I'm not super comfortable with the way they get their merchandise.  

Savers has contracts with all kinds of charitable organizations.  Normal people donate to the charities - thinking the charities actually distribute the stuff - then the charities, without making this clear to donors, sell all the goods to Savers.  I wish Savers and the charities that sell to Savers would make it clear to donors.  This isn't really Savers fault and they do provide good merchandise at good prices, but I try to go other places first so that my thrift dollars go to charity if possible.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969 04:00:00 PM by 1062345600 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
rratstarr

needs a new hobby like a hole in the head.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2004 06:23:34 PM »

A link to an exhaustive list of Boston-area thrift & secondhand music stores, used bookstores, etc.:

http://www.surfacecity.net/boston.php?subject=thrift&orderby=location

Some include reviews.

-S
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004 06:25:26 PM by rratstarr » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cbradio
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2004 11:37:27 AM »

Boomerangs on Centre Street in JP is great and it benefits the AIDS Action Committee.  They get reall nice stuff in there too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When God made the arse, he didn't say, 'Hey, it's just your basic hinge, let's knock off early.' He said, 'Behold ye angels, I have created the arse. Throughout the ages to come, men and women shall grab hold of these, and shout my name!
jcis27
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2004 07:19:21 AM »

GumShoe on south street in j.p. is good for boys, they're across diagonally from Harvest.

*does anybody remeber bobby's of boston in the south end on thayer street?  i'm going to look them up & see if they're still around... they were amazing...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
silvercrank
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2004 02:42:38 PM »

I live on the north shore, so here's some good ones. I'll post the crappier ones at the bottom. btw, i didn't post planet aid on purpose; they charge way too much for their stuff 'supposedly' uses the money for projects to help the community but, WHATEVER - they have a dumpster by my local 7/11...theyre very misleading. people donate to them thinking they are a charity.

1. Retro Vixen
265 R Rantoul Street, Beverly, MA 01915
(978)921-5933

It's located on an intersection next to an antique shop,  across from Gloria's Foods + Deli and it's parallel to Evil Winds Tattoo Studio. The clothes there are FREAKING AWESOME. If i had a million dollars i'd walk there and buy all their stuff!! Mucho vintage clothing, the store has this 60's vibe to it with featherboas and orange/green/pink/black decor...it's like walking into a parallel universe...

2.Garment District
200 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139
(617) 876-5230
www.garment-district.com
They have $1-per-bag...fill it up with ucky thrify clothes and it's only a dollar (downstairs). upstairs they sell new merchandise like tights and hairdye, and the consignment shop is there too. nice big pink building.

the rest i've gone to suck so here's...
some I've heard of, but I've never gone to. I looked the addresses on superpages.com

Absolutely Fabulous
1309 Cambridge Street, Cambridge, MA 02139
(617) 864-0656

Reddog Vintage Clothing
Somerville, MA 02144
(617) 666-1986

Oona's
1210 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02138
(617) 491-2654

Dragonfly
3 Hadley Street, South Hadley, MA 01075
(413) 534-6230

Closet
175 Newbury Street, Boston, MA 02116
(617) 536-1919
www.theclosetboston .com (not up yet)

Urban Renewals
122 Brighton Avenue, Allston, MA 02134
(617) 783-8387

Goodwill Stores - Cambridge
520 Massachusetts Ave, Cambridge MA

Recycled Chic
294 Dartmouth Street, New Bedford, MA 02740
(508) 992-2872

Teen Challenge Thrift Store
1159 Main Street, Brockton, MA 02301
(508) 427-6057 or (508) 427-6475

Maude Mango
507A East Broadway, Boston, MA 02127
(617) 464-1180

you can find more at http://yellowpages.superpages.com/
hope this helps! ~hilary :: silvercrank (yes the song by smashing pumpkins)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alea
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2004 03:28:50 PM »

Nice to hear that retro vixen is good--I drive past every day on the way to work but haven't had time to go in yet. Do you know if they do consignment? (for used clothing, I mean)  Nice to hear that there's someone else on the North Shore on craftster, too. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SarahLiz
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2004 08:07:38 PM »

im on the northshore too, retrovixen is awesome, and its owned by marylou lord, im not sure if she does consignment, she seems to have a lot of stock,someday im gonna get in a car accident from trying to look at the new window display but anyways, theres also a pretty good thrift store in gloucester called bananas on main street, not sure of the exact address though, theres also another one on main street in gloucester i think called dress code which is ok, mystery train is an awesome used cd store too on main street, anyways
thats enough ramble for now
THIS ROCKS   Logged
silvercrank
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2004 11:14:44 AM »

Nice to hear that retro vixen is good--I drive past every day on the way to work but haven't had time to go in yet. Do you know if they do consignment? (for used clothing, I mean)  Nice to hear that there's someone else on the North Shore on craftster, too. Smiley

OMG!! marylou lord owns it??? she did a song with billy corgan!!! agghh!!! thats awesome!! whoo the hell is marylou lord anyway?

anywho i went in there with my mom. i looked so uncool. i think the guy behind the counter thought i was so cheap. i had no $ so i bought a $3 tank top and a $5 knit purse that i couldve made my self Sad but i dont think they do consignment, i suggest you call up. the guy just kinda sits there all day hehehe. the decor is so cool. i need a job. i want to shop there. doews anyone know why retro vixen opened in beverly? i am ashamed of my town. full of druggie posers and snobby art school students. i feel so unwelcome here.*tangent* sorry. oh the shame. so why is an original store like that here? i'd expect it in
brattleboro VT or in Cambridge MA but not here!
:: silvercrank sadness::
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Look Great After a Long Flight
Beauty Treatments of the Stars: Extreme Natural Beauty
Celebrities Love This Treatment For Head-to-Toe Sexy Skin
Cheerleading: See Gurl Try
4 Summer Style Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...