A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 304,850
Currently Running With Scissors:
720 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Got Crafty Spaces? Let me see...  (Read 1327 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

khill

I got an itchin' to do some craftin' MOJO-JOJO!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 11, 2006 01:24:29 PM »

Hey Guys & Gals,

I need ideas (pics pls) of how to carve a craft space out of nothing. If you've got a cool space for your craft projects, let me see! I'm trying to combine an ideal space for the following:

-sewing
-calligraphy
-illustration
-decoupage
-light construction (rehab old furniture)

and desperately need some inspiration. Don't have a dedicated craft room yet:( Thanks in advance!

k.hill
THIS ROCKS   Logged

k.hill

Urban Eclectic
www.urbaneclectic.net

Eclectic Design Studio
www.eclecticdesignstudio.net
flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006 01:04:41 AM »

if you go to completed projects and type in "show my your craft space."there is a whole thread on this
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
khill

I got an itchin' to do some craftin' MOJO-JOJO!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006 04:11:26 PM »

cool, thx for the tip!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

k.hill

Urban Eclectic
www.urbaneclectic.net

Eclectic Design Studio
www.eclecticdesignstudio.net
flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006 03:05:33 PM »

this is my old craft  room:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
Beachgardengal
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007 01:10:00 PM »

Help!  With the new year here, one of my resolutions is to try and organize my craft space a little better.  How do YOU organize your space?  Personally, I have a large desk (with 6 drawers), a wicker shelf unit, another shelf unit with plastic bins, and lots of plastic storage boxes.  I'm still lost though!  I hate to get rid of anything it seems!  The crafts I like to do are jewelry, mosaics, a little bit of paper craft, resin craft, and whatever else I run across that strikes me as fun.  Maybe that is part of my problem....I want to do TOO much!  Anyway, how does everyone else organize?  Boxes, bags, bins???  Thanks for any tips!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

trinabrielle
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007 01:37:18 PM »

I just organized everything yesterday! I'm a knitter, so I had yarn piling up. For Christmas, my boyfriend got me some under the bed storage bins Smiley, so yesterday I filled them up! I have one full of balls of yarn, one for all my finished objects I have for sale, and one with scrap yarn balls and fabric. I also have a tote filled with purse handles, magnetic snaps, buttons, etc, and my needles are on a bookshelf. It took me hours to organize everything, but I'm so happy I did!

Since you have so many crafts, I think labels would be a good idea! Separate everything out by craft, and give each one it's own drawer or two. Organizing your things will let you see everything you have again too, which is always fun. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handspun and recycled yarns:
http://TBFibers.etsy.com

Handmade hats, scarves, and other fun accessories:
http://TrinaBrielle.etsy.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trinabrielle
Beachgardengal
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007 02:00:43 PM »

I did label my bins and my smaller desk top unit of jewelry findings. That does help, but a lot of things aren't even a category.  I guess it would be MISC.  You know, trinkets, OOAK items, etc. I also have quite a bit of yarn, but it is still in a very large plastic bag.  I think I may go get more of the clear storage bins and then I will have to stay up all night, the next day, and the next night.... days and days.......but oh, such fun to see what is there! Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sansa

Please reinstall universe and reboot

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007 03:00:37 PM »

I will start by saying that I am only partially organised. My room looks good, but only since I actually tidied it yesterday.

The important thing is to analyse the way you search for things and file them that way. I quilt (although I am being sucked into bag making by the dealers on this site. Four bags doesn't make a new craft does it?) I used to sort my fabrics by colour and was always turning the whole room upside down. Then I read an article where the lady sorted her 30s fabrics together, her Asian fabrics together etc. Lightbulb moment. When I'm making a quilt and run short I need fabric that goes with the rest, not a specific colour.

When you reach for your one of a kind items are you looking for an angel themed thingie or are you reaching for something between one and two inches? Or does it have to be green? Whatever you normally look for, then that is how you organise.

My other tip, which I have yet to follow, it to make it visible without having to take it out of the container, or at least without having to empty the container. Mine is all stacked vertically in a large bag and it I want something, out it all comes. Sigh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beachgardengal
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007 03:16:09 PM »

I agree about the visibility - I always buy clear storage boxes.  But the organization is still as clear as mud to me in some respects.  I see what you are saying, and it makes total sense, to store items based on how you would normally look or search for them.  I guess since I sometimes don't really know what I am searching for until I find it (you know, altered art), that is my problem.  I've got to get my mind organized first!  Thanks again for the great tips!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Snowflake Nails
Top Picks for Face Masks and Peels
Easy and Quick Glamour Tips for the Holidays
The Best Beauty Products for Under £10
How to Get a Quick and Easy Friday Night Makeup Look
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...