A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,897
Currently Running With Scissors:
517 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: From: Not Crafty boyfriend, To: Craft Girlfriend  (Read 2254 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wildrabidbush
« on: December 11, 2006 08:18:58 AM »

I've recently hit on some serious financial issues and need ideas for christmas gifts. The hardest one is for my girlfriend. She's really crafty and creative and artistic. I don't consider myself very crafty or creative and would appreciate any  ideas for a unique crafty gift.

I've got access to a sewing machine, but money is a serious issue.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I just realized there was a threat the top of this forum saying what to include so i figure i might as well include those to help you help me Cheesy

Occasion: Christmas
Relationship: girlfriend
Likes/Dislikes: favorite color green and other pastel-y colors, very woodsy/outdoorsy, very artsy, and.. superbly awesome?
Hobbies: listens to a lot of indie music, big fan of threadless.com, has a dirty secret of enjoying science fiction/fantasy novels.
Style: Crafty ... very crafty.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006 07:58:47 PM by wildrabidbush » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kidcompassion

get down off your high horse and buy me a taco.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006 08:57:15 AM »

maybe recon an old t shirt? there are lots of tutorials on how to do that kind of thing here on craftster. you could also just try and wrangle up various reusable supplies related to her crafts of choice (my boyfriend recently gave me a bunch of his old shirts to make into other stuff and i was so excited!!!!)

also, as the crafty girlfriend of a less-than-crafty guy, just the idea of him making something for me, ANYTHING, would be a complete thrill. so regardless of finances, i'm sure your girl will like whatever you choose to make her.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tinkerbellforever
self proclaimed starlight fairy queen

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006 07:16:11 PM »

I personally think it's really sweet you're willing to make somehting for her. I agree with kidcompassion. I'm sure she'll appreciate the fact that you even tried to make her something.
My first question would be, do you have any power tools or access to supplies like wood, paint, etc.
If the sewing machine is your main tool, heck, that's awesome too. Post back and let me know if you're still struggling for ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

and remember that [depth] is the greatest of *heights*
wildrabidbush
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006 07:32:13 PM »

I'm struggling with where to begin at this point. I have "access" to power tools and materials (i don't know exactly where they are but could drum them up if needed) and the ironic part is that i recently lent the sewing machine to my girlfriend so SHE could make crafty things. If i can get everything squared away and planned out i could easily get over there and sew it all up and not let her see.

Your help is greatly appreciated, as last year's Christmas was lacking in the gift department (from me to other people).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
phreeduh
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006 07:35:34 AM »

a craftster.org membership?  Grin Grin Grin

or what about a super personalized scrapbook of some sort, either make it or embellish it, but leave lots of pages blank for the future- then you guys can work on it together!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

there's a hole in the bottom of the sea. did you know?
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006 07:38:44 AM »

Why don't you search around for the threads for DIY kit swaps? There have been about six of them by now. Look in the galleries and see where people have listed everything that comes in the kits. Pick one she'd like and get everything. Go for something that doesn't take a lot of complicated instructions, though. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brideOFkniterstein

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006 08:45:46 AM »

what type of crafts does she do??

how about finger knitting. you can make her a scarf... you don't even need the needles. my son made my mom a scarf like this last year. i'll see if i can find a link... i found it in an old book, but there should be soemthing online.

eta: i found one
http://yarnlady.com/newsletter/2005/endaugust2.htm

this is a good tutorial on how to do it.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006 08:48:36 AM by brideOFkniterstein » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm down with Personal Swaps
My Wist

BRIDES-TO-BE: i have wedding stuff i would love to swap away. pm me for list of items!
diosaperdida
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006 09:18:34 AM »

Yanno...I would go with the craft kit idea..buy her the supplies you might use to make something..so she can make it.
I am so thrilled that my husband has taken up knitting..I FINALLY know what to get him! He will love the needle set, tool, and yarn I have for him.
I bet your girl would also love the materials to make something.
If in doubt...paint. I'm an artist and paint is always welcome. My sis always gets me a gift certificate to our local pro art store. It makes me gleeful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.diosaperdida.net  - My website
http://knittingbare.blogspot.com/ painting, knitting, whatever...it's all art
http://painting.craftgossip.com/  decorative painting techniques, projects and product info.
craft-matic
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006 09:34:14 AM »

This is a different direction than the above posts.  Not to poo-poo the above lovely suggestions--but if you are low on cash, chances are you won't be able to put together a very good kit.  Materials are pricey, especially the kind a craft-goddess would most appreciate. 

However, there's still plenty of stuff you can do.  If she's a fan of threadless, then I suggest stenciling her a shirt.  Use the freezer-paper method to be very inexpensive--look for tutorials in the Techniques section of Craftster. 

Many Dollar Stores and Big Lots-type places have packs of plain shirts for very low cost.  If you print a clever design to cut out for a stencil, you won't need to rely on your artistic ability alone for a cool design Wink just your keen wit. 

Maybe a character from one of the books she likes?  With something like, "out of the closet" on the front and "sci-fi fan" on the back.  OK, that's cheesy...I'm sure you're more clever than I am.  But something like that would be cool. 

Another option would be to make her magazine racks, mail holders, and photo-stands out of wood scraps.  There was an early issue of readymade that detailed how to do those...one of the first 10 issues, I think.  Head to your local library and see if you can find it.  In truth, however, it's very simple.  Get wood scraps.  Use a handheld saw to saw slits of desired depth and thickness.  Sand.  Varnish.  Then the mail sits in the slot, or the photos.  For the magazine rack, you have a tall, free-standing thick block.  Saw the slits diagonally so that they are deep enough to fit aluminum sheets in.  Then stick in the aluminum sheets and glue in.  The magazines sit on the aluminum.  I wish I had a picture...maybe someone has this issue and can help.  Maybe it was Issue 8? 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2006 09:42:37 AM by craft-matic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
eirle

Ph.D. complete. Back to crafting!

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006 09:42:15 AM »

Bookbinding can be really easy and cheap -- you just need cardboard, paper, needle and thread. You could make her a sketch book and decorate the front of it with things you like about her. I know that sounds super cheesy, but I sure liked cheesy things like that at 17. (Still do, in fact.)
  I have a tutorial I wrote for a DIY kit, if you'd like me to email it to you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Dare to Dream. Dare to believe in what is possible and instill in others the same sense of possibility." -C. Fiorina 2004
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Try This Flirty, Curly Half-Up for V-Day
How to Do a Double Braided Ponytail
How to Get a Vintage Volume Do
How to Do a Cute Braided Style
How to Get Big, Sexy Curls
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...