A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,080
Currently Running With Scissors:
519 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: From: Not Crafty boyfriend, To: Craft Girlfriend  (Read 2373 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wildrabidbush
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006 02:18:47 PM »

I am having SO much trouble finding plain white t-shirts that I don't have to order online! Am I looking in the wrong places? Do stores just not say on their site if they have packages of plain white t-shirts?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
purpleone
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2006 02:22:57 PM »

Hmm do big supermarkets (Walmart etc) not have plain tees?

I think a cool idea would be to make a pillow from one of your old shirts - that could easily be handsewn Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pineapplehead
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2006 02:24:58 PM »

You can get plain white tshirts anywhere. I mean, they sell mens white undershirts in like packs of 3 (?) at Kohls, Target, any clothing store should have them. And they generally don't list them online. I was looking for plain white boxers to tie-dye, but they weren't listed on any websites, my boyfriend found them at JCPenney.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craft-matic
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2006 02:45:19 PM »

Yeah, most sites won't say if they offer them.  If you want to browse styles online, go to manufacturer's websites, instead: hanes, fruit of the loom, and .... don't know who else.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
LoveLisaHandknits
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006 02:49:13 PM »

One Recon-ing an old t-shirt -
I made a sweet little pillow out of an old t-shirt I had with a funny Jamaica logo on it:
find your shirt
measure across the chest to see what size pillow form you need (if you can get 10" from armpit to armpit, then get a 9" pillow form, etc. - the t-shirt will stretch, but I gave myself a good 1/2" seam allowance for the frilly bits)
get the pillow form
cut up the shirt so it's square
now - cut off the hem, cut off the sleeve hems
use the hems as a pillow frill on the outside of the pillow - lay the seam of the shirt raw-edge to raw-edge, with the back side of the pillow facing right-side up - lay the front side of the pillow right-side down on top of the facing and the back of the pillow - pin it, and sew - do this on three sides.
the hand-stitch the bottom closed after you stick your pillow in - or if you're like me - use a zipper (I hate hand-stitching - I'd rather use a zipper) - BUT DO THE ZIPPER EDGE FIRST - then do the other 3 sides, making sure that before you do the last side, you open the zipper up a bit, so you can flip it inside out to stuff when you're finished.
Smiley

Enjoy!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wildrabidbush
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2006 03:30:37 PM »

alright, here's my first draft of the stencil shirt, tell me what you think. The quote is from Amelie.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e311/casseus/jennasshirtdesigncopy.jpg

(I haven't made 10 posts so i can't post the actual image, sorry for the inconvenience)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
luckyklutz85
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2006 03:38:04 PM »

If you're still looking for a plain shirt, try out Charlotte Russe/Wet Seal, because they usually have them, and they're generally shaped more girly, which is always flattering. It's my standby.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craft-matic
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2006 03:50:24 PM »

Hey Wildrabidbush-

That image looks great!  I think your girlfriend will like it.

One thing you should keep in mind is that if you do the freezer paper stencil, you have to be careful about "floating" pieces in your stencil.  Usually with a stencil, there can be no piece that is entirely cut out; for example, in your text, any center to a round letter would be cut out--and then promptly lost, so the letter would be solid with no center.  With freezer paper, if you're careful how you cut them out, you can save them and iron them in place.  But that can get tricky.  The other way to do it is to use a font specific for stencil (see: http://hans.presto.tripod.com/fonts/stencil2.html), and in either case you want the text to be big.  So from your example, maybe you could have:

A fool looks
at a
finger that
points to the sky

With "A fool looks ... at a ..." to the left of the moon, and the rest running across the whole front, and then you could increase the font size quite a bit.  Just an example; play around and see what you like best. 

Also, a note on the moon; don't forget that you'll have to do that bit in two steps: one with the stencil for the white part, one with a stencil for the black part.  I recommend doing the white part separately as a full circle, set it and then do the black over it.  Another way would be to design a black line around the moon so that you don't need two paint colors.  Since paint can be expensive.

Speaking of paint: you can use plain acrylic paint on T-shirts, but you would probably want to consider using a fabric medium.  The other option is to get fabric paints.  There are many, many out there that are washable.  I personally like the Pebeo heat-set inks, but you have a lot of options. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

--Kahlil Gibran

wildrabidbush
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2006 05:22:05 PM »

Alright, here's the revised edition based on some suggestions from craft-matic. I must admit, it's really starting to come together. Now all i need is the materials to DO the stenciling and it'll all be good.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e311/casseus/jennasshirtdesigncopy-1.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craft-matic
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2006 08:15:16 PM »

That looks great!  Post pictures when you're done, we'd love to see the finished product Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

--Kahlil Gibran

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Constellation Art
Chance Rides: Kansas Company Stays in the Family Against All Odds
The Weight of a Whistle: Why Making Trains Means the World to Terry Giddeon
Julie_Vignette_WITH_PreRoll
Terry_Vignette_WITH_PreRoll
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2015 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Mini-Cabinet
Laundry Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...