A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,715
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what do you use for cards?  (Read 2775 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PaperBag
« on: December 11, 2006 07:43:05 AM »

I'm starting to think that people here just use playing cards for their ATCs, am I right? I've only made a handful of cards, and I just cut them out of index cards, but I'm assuming there's a better way! Sorry if this post is stupid, but I've read around and I'm hoping I havent missed a similar topic around here somewhere!

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006 07:57:42 AM »

I'm sure this has been covered somewhere on here, but I'll run thru all the stuff I've heard used.   I personally use really heavy watercolour paper or heavy vellum bristol board cut to size.  I like a card that is somewhat sturdier.  Other people use playing cards, recycled cardboard (from food boxes etc.), mat board scraps (I've heard some framing places give them away), even thin pieces of veneer board.  Then there's the whole fabric thing (usually with some kind of stabilizer for body) which I hope to try soon.   As long as its the right size and works for you, go for it (once you start looking around you'll get many ideas)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster Mobile has launched!  Find out more here

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
amaryllisroze

Member of the Papercraft Gang

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006 07:58:52 AM »

You can use anything...the requirement is just that is has to be
2.5 by 3.5 inches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All of my photos are hosted at Flickr.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amaryllisroze/sets/

http://pinterest.com/aroze/

"she knew with the right amount of junk she could create a masterpiece" -- I'm still looking for the right amount of junk
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006 10:33:23 AM »

I've also used cardstock, greeting cards, invitations and mailla folders cut to size.  Anything that crosses my path that is the proper thickness is fair game!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PaperBag
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006 01:39:38 PM »

those are all really helpful suggestions. I have a ton of watercolor paper around here.. Never would have thought about using that. Thanks so much for all your suggestions Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teeisme

That's my boy, Petey!

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006 10:07:44 PM »

I use the matt board mostly. I use a coupon and get the board in 32"x40" for about $3. Then I have a sweet Sr. friend who cuts the board for me into the size that I need.  We generally get 144 ATCs out of it.
I do a lot of digital ATC's and find that it gives me a sturdier canvas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tee
finished the 100 ATC Theme Challenge!!
I'm the ATC - DT in a new Vintage group. Come join me   http://vintageflaire.ning.com/
paradisecrane
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006 02:07:31 PM »

Since I like to use acrylic paint in my cards I needed something that wouldn't warp or get soggy when i painted on it so I browsed around at an ACMoore and I came upon these really thin sheets of wood.  And I love them!  I don't know what they are officially called, but you can find them in the wood objects isle at your craft store!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyone want to swap ATCs?
Visit my shop!
http://applearabesque.etsy.com/
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006 08:45:39 PM »

Since I like to use acrylic paint in my cards I needed something that wouldn't warp or get soggy when i painted on it so I browsed around at an ACMoore and I came upon these really thin sheets of wood.  And I love them!  I don't know what they are officially called, but you can find them in the wood objects isle at your craft store!

That's awesome!  How do you cut them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PaperBag
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006 10:08:39 PM »

Ooh I'm really liking the idea of the matt board. I know exactly where to find that. I just went and got a deck of playing cards to hold me over- the hobby store is almost an hour away and i'm not in the mood to make that drive LOL

I'm also thinking the thin wood would be awesome.. I'd also like to know how to cut those! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Florence77
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006 09:01:45 AM »

I haven't been making cards for long, but I just recycle cardboard and paper that I have lying around. I'm big on reusing old stuff instead of throwing it out, so it's great Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
have2craft
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2006 09:35:18 PM »

Normally I use heavy cardstock (I'm a scrapbooker at heart, so I have tons of scraps left over).  Occasionally I'll make one from an actual playing card, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Dee~
Selise
Out Of Control ATC'er

So In Love - 1 Year Together 22 Feb

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006 05:13:01 PM »

you can purchase ATC blanks from places like Oriental Trading or other spots online.  I have used them, but I also use cardstock or matboard or whatever I can grab that's in my way and can be cut to the proper size.

I've also done fabric ATC's and they're tons of fun, but be sure to add fusible interfacing to the back to stablilize it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PaperBag
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006 12:23:57 PM »

i came up with another question... if you use things like playing cards or the like, do you also cover the back or just leave it as it is? I decided that playing cards was easiest for me, but i'm noticing it looks kinda silly keeping the back with the playing card design. Just wondering what everyone else does.. Thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amaryllisroze

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006 12:31:35 PM »

That's yet another personal preference thing!

I don't use playing cards, but I do cover the back of mine with a paper that coordinates with the front of the card. Then on top of that, I have a little form type thing that I made that has my name, email, what the name of the card is, date, swap info...that kind of stuff.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"she knew with the right amount of junk she could create a masterpiece" -- I'm still looking for the right amount of junk
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006 12:46:34 PM »

Sometimes I do what AR does and I cover the back, sometimes I leave it showing.  Sometimes I want my messy process to show (like when I heavily alter a magazine image, I want the edges where I wrapped the image around the card to give a hint of what the original looked like).  Sometimes I want something very neat.

Do what feels right!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bombgirl

i subscribe to the george lass work ethic

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2006 12:53:15 PM »

file folders

only cause i can't find where we keep the cardstock at work...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FLICKR!! http://www.flickr.com/photos/cupcakesrevenge/<br /><br />inspiration and desires... www.wists.com/bombgirl<br /><br />craft blog! (if you\'re my swap partner, NO PEEKING!) <br />http://yourfaceiswhereblogsgotodie.blogspot.com/
PaperBag
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2006 03:57:27 PM »

Some of the 'messy' looking ones I kept uncovered on the back.. some of my cards are "crisp" with straight edges so I covered the backs of those. I was just wondering what the general consensus was Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gingerquilts
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2006 06:44:56 PM »

I don't use any paper at all.  Mine are completely out of fabric and embellishments with heavy interfacing and or fusible stuff. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FerretNose

Shine on, you crazy diamond...

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2006 11:52:08 PM »

That super thin wood is balsa wood. Folks my age will remember the little airplanes you could get for a dollar made of that wood. Had a plastic propeller that you wound up with a rubber band.

Using that balsa is an awesome idea! It's probably soft enough to cut with a sturdy craft knife. I haven't made an ATC as of yet, but i'm on the verge. I can tell I'll get obsessed with them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wanna trade ATC's!

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ferretnose/
Katxena
Gardening fool

Confused.

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2006 06:05:45 AM »

Using that balsa is an awesome idea! It's probably soft enough to cut with a sturdy craft knife. I haven't made an ATC as of yet, but i'm on the verge. I can tell I'll get obsessed with them.

Go for it FerretNose!  We'll be waiting to see it! (and silently cheering you on as you make it!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SinDoll
Adam West

Wednesday grew up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2006 01:34:57 AM »

I come from australia... and i dont know if i have a measuring problem, but i think our playing cards aren't as big as yours! So i've just measured it out for myfirst one, and now i just trace around others.... too bad they have to be ractangular... my cutting skills are not great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2006 06:57:05 AM »

I use this site that has a downloadable template that you can print right out (I do have to fiddle with the printer settings a bit)on to your cardstock or whatever-I use the heavy artists bristol board

http://www.empressdragon.com/ATC_Template.html

LINES to follow!!  Even with my handy paper cutter I'm pretty hopeless at the square thing-lots of lopsided squares with really straight edges.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster Mobile has launched!  Find out more here

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
eloiseinmoscow
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2006 08:27:29 PM »

Other people use playing cards, recycled cardboard (from food boxes etc.), mat board scraps (I've heard some framing places give them away), even thin pieces of veneer board. 

When I went last week to a local framing shop, they offered me a big bucket full of scraps, white & many great colours, some as big as 8.5 x 11 inches.

They said that they were eager for them to be used by someone, b/c otherwise they would just be throwing them away and feeling guilty about the environment. They even asked for my phone number so they could call me when they had a lot more.

I came away with a grocery bag FULL of greens, browns, neutrals (including some with textures), dull metallics, blues, and even a little red.  Wow. Definitely try this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please pm me if you'd like to trade ATCs!
have2craft
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2006 09:49:44 PM »

When I went last week to a local framing shop, they offered me a big bucket full of scraps, white & many great colours, some as big as 8.5 x 11 inches.

Oh, wow!  Lucky you!  Must remember to check around here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Dee~
SinDoll
Adam West

Wednesday grew up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2006 01:55:44 AM »

How do you cut your wood? Saw?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amaryllisroze

« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2006 07:53:16 AM »

How do you cut your wood? Saw?

If its the balsa wood, you should be able to use a utility knife on it. A saw might tear it up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

raychie
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2006 03:13:07 PM »

I use mat board. It's not fun to cut, but I use this big mat board cutter in my photography class to cut mine up. I really like the mat board, it's really thick, so they paints and glues and stuff don't bleed or anything, and they're very sturdy. I've heard it's expensive, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PaperBag
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2006 09:52:21 PM »

Other people use playing cards, recycled cardboard (from food boxes etc.), mat board scraps (I've heard some framing places give them away), even thin pieces of veneer board. 

They said that they were eager for them to be used by someone, b/c otherwise they would just be throwing them away and feeling guilty about the environment. They even asked for my phone number so they could call me when they had a lot more.

I came away with a grocery bag FULL of greens, browns, neutrals (including some with textures), dull metallics, blues, and even a little red.  Wow. Definitely try this!

what a great, great tip!! Thanks for sharing! I'm definitely going to go check a frame shop!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lilgothkatt
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2006 10:35:29 PM »

I'm amazed some company hasn't come out with a die cut for ATC's. I think I'd buy it if they did.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.Ibreedsockmonke ys.etsy.com

www.wists.com/lilgothkatt

I have a bunch of vintage linens for trade. Looking for neat halloween fabrics, day of the dead stuff, star wars stuff.
Sindy
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2006 09:14:03 AM »

I'm amazed some company hasn't come out with a die cut for ATC's. I think I'd buy it if they did.

I've been thinking the same thing and looking around, surely by now someone has thought of it, besides us!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MoxZ

Getting my stitch on!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2006 09:30:35 AM »

Oooh I'll be beading in on our local frame shop for sure!  Thanks!

Currently I've been using :shhh priority mail boxes :shhh  I ship a lot on eBay so I've always got extras.  The cardboard is a perfect thickness and white on one side.  I watched television last night and chopped up a box.    Now I'm just waiting for some inspiration.  Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged

See my blog for my current ATC's up for swap~
http://crookedhook.blogspot.com/

http://www.wists.com/MoxZ -
lil_ballet_girl

I want to be with you

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2006 02:42:51 PM »

You can use anything...the requirement is just that is has to be
2.5 by 3.5 inches.

Thanks ! Althought it might sound out of subject, I was just wondering what the dimensions were.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Took for granted all the little things.
But now it's over,
All I can say is goodbye.
raina.storms
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2007 01:50:11 PM »

I just wanted to let you know that I've been using playing cards (so far), but since sturdiness has been emphasized so much in various threads, now I'm gluing two playing cards together. I just do a few at a time, even when I'm not making ATCs, so they're ready when I need them. Easy peasy and double the sturdiness! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Take a Basic Picture Using the Panasonic G1/GH1
How to Set Up the Panasonic G1/GH1 for Basic Pictures
How to Light with a Super Wide Angle Lens
How a Viewer is Affected by your Image
How to Create a Complimentary Background for a Portrait
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...