A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
362 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my handmade christmas gifts (complete w/ photos)  (Read 6195 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cinnamon teal
« on: December 10, 2006 02:37:21 PM »

Handmade Christmas Gifts ::: 2008

This year I'm only making things for people who I know will appreciate the time it takes to make something.  I'm going for knits this time around.

Mom: bath mat and felted slippers
Sister: mittens and felted slippers
Brother: hats and maybe some sweat bands
Nephew: hat and mittens
Nephew's dad: Manly Mitts (Done!! picture here)
Mother in Law: lace shawl

My Dad loves handmade gifts, but he's way too hard to knit for, so he's getting the Omnivores' Dilemma and a donation in his honor to Heifer International.

Hubby... Is definitely getting something handmade, but I'm not sure what.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

My big handmade gift list for 2007

It's that time of year again!  Here's my christmas gift plan for this holiday season.

My Mom: knit purse (brea bag) and some sort of jewelry
My Dad: knit sweater (Skye Tweed Unisex Cable Rib Pullover)
Sister and Nephew (3 1/2 years old): bean bag chair made from recycled jeans, painting of a helicopter carrying a jeep, and a bunch of organizational stuff from Ikea
Little Bro-sky (12 yo): Mixed CD of awesome guitar solos and a binder with tabs for each one
Nephew's daddy: knit scarf (exchequered from knitty)
Mother-in-law: not sure... maybe a photo calendar?
Hubby: knit socks (for snowboarding and/or just regular ones), an rfid shielding pouch (instructions here), and I'm not sure what else.  Maybe some art work or something.

Everyone else is getting store bought gifts.

This year I'm trying to go all handmade for Christmas.  I'm not totally sure about what I'm making everyone, but here's my list so far and I'll post pics of finished stuff as I get it done. 

Please let me know if you have any ideas for the people I'm unsure about!

1. my sister (27 this month) - jammy pants & an apron done! Smiley pics this page
2. brother (11) - jammy pants (pics this page) & knit hat
3. nephew (2.5) - numbers and alphabet for his walls
4. dad - elbow pillow (explanation later) (pics this page) and set of etched wine glasses (for mom & dad)
5. mom - knit bracelet (pics on page 2) etched wine glasses
6. father in law - jammy pants done!  Smiley pics this page
7. mother in law - knit bracelet done! Smiley pics on page 2
8. brother in law (25) - etched beer mug and shot glass w/ 6 pack of local beer done! Smiley pics on page 2
9. sister in law (16) - cute apron (she does a lot of cooking) (pics this page) and these slippers or some head bands
10. nephew's daddy (26) - etched beer mug and a knit hat
11. ace and kayla (a couple of friends) - probably a pair of etched beer mugs
12. earthy/nature loving aunt - crocheted welcome mat made from shopping bags

I also made my Christmas cards.  You can see them on this thread.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008 05:25:37 PM by cinnamon teal » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cinnamon teal
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006 02:50:49 PM »

Here's the jammies I made for my sister and my FIL (modeled by me and my husband Smiley).  I use Butterick pattern #4358 for both of them.  For my sister I took off the fly opening, straightened the legs and patterned the waist line after low rise jeans.  I also tacked the elastic so that the front part lies flat.  I made my FIL's pretty much by the pattern, but I also added a snap to the fly.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

cinnamon teal
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006 03:45:16 PM »

Here's the elbow pillow I made for my dad.  He uses hand controls to drive and somehow he ends up putting a lot of pressure on his elbow, against the armrest on the door.  It's just a little pillow that has 2 sections inside.  One is filled with rice or weight and stability and the other side has regular stuffing in it, so that it's soft and comfortable.  I made one of these for him years ago and he loved it, but it got really dirty and couldn't be washed because it had dried beans inside.  So this year I made a cover for the new one.  The pillow itself is made from denim from some old jeans and the cover is left over flannel from my FIL's jammies.  The stuffing and rice I had, so it cost me $0 to make!  Woo-hoo! Smiley

Anyways, here's the pics:

I made the back of the pillow case like a pillow sham.

action shot:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MsChilePepper
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006 04:29:08 PM »

Nice action shot!  Wink  How does the pillow stay on the armrest?  Would it help to put a chunk or two of Velcro on the pillow and the door, to keep it in place?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I own power tools, and I'm not afraid to use them!
cinnamon teal
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006 09:04:40 PM »

The weight of the rice should be enough to keep it in place and it makes the bottom half of the pillow pliable, so it fits the shape of the arm rest.  With the previous one, he would just put it on the seat when he wasn't driving. 

Velcro is a good idea, but I don't know if the idea of attaching it to the car would go over very well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

connect_deeply
Raaawr!

i luv guin pigs!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006 09:17:05 PM »

make some hats for the chicas that are cute so if they have to run an errend and there hairs a mess well they are coverd*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Whats green and rides through the west?!

THE LONE PICKLE!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!
cinnamon teal
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006 01:03:53 PM »

Here's an apron I made for my sister or sister-in-law.  (working on the second one right now)

Additional info and picture here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=139422.0\

*I just finished the second one.  so I now have one for my sister and sister-in-law, both!*
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006 09:33:09 PM by cinnamon teal » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jacquelenexo
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006 01:58:33 PM »

I love love love that apron!  Very cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cinnamon teal
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006 10:38:53 PM »

Here's the jammies I made for my little bro.  I messed up making them, as you can see here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=139217.msg1367811#msg1367811, so I added the plaid side panels and then to bring in the color, I added the plaid to the cuffs and also on the inside of the waist band.  I used the same pattern that I used for the ones above, but made them smaller and again I added a snap to the fly.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fudgegirl
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006 10:48:26 PM »

wow! all your gifts are so beautiful, and they're really considerate presents too.
i absolutely adore that aprom you make your sister, from the front it looks more like a dress than an apron  Shocked  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Maki Roll
The Cuisine of the Filipino American Community
The Cuisine of the Thai American Community
How to Prepare a Durian
Thai Food and Wine Pairing Options
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...