A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 305,732
Currently Running With Scissors:
624 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help - not a great artist  (Read 1648 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hokiekate
« on: December 10, 2006 12:35:32 PM »

I'm trying to come up with ideas of inexpensive gifts to give my husband for Christmas.  I've never done stenciling before, but I got a kit in a swap and decided to give it a go.  I got the idea to make him a t-shirt featuring a character from Warcraft - the computer game he plays online with his friends.  The problem is, that I couldn't find any suitable images, so I had to create one myself.  I'm not a very good artist and I'm doubting my skills, so I was wondering if I could get some opinions or tips.

I'm trying to create a stencil of an orc peon, seen here:

This is what I came up with:

I'm doubting that my husband would recognize it as an orc.  What do you think??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lafemmefatale

Can't be old n wise if you are never young n crazy

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006 12:43:38 PM »

I think it's good.  And you could stencil some words under to help him recognize it.  Some geeky humor world of warcraft thing. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hokiekate
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006 12:45:23 PM »

Oh, I was definitely planning on words.  It's going to say, "WORK WORK", because I am geeky enough to know that that is what the peons say when  you ask them to build something.

Oh, and I know this is confusing, but it's Warcraft and not World of Warcraft.  It's a strategy game and not a role playing game.  They are both Blizzard though, I believe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006 01:23:51 PM »

Yeah, they're both Blizzard, WoW is built from the lore of the original warcraft Smiley
If you added an eye I think it would be visible, otherwise I think it might be difficult without being told what it is - at first glance I was trying to make out something that would be facing in the opposite direction, which affected my impression (and it's a small thing anyone could do while looking at it)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
jaded
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006 01:26:44 PM »

Maybe you could make him more jagged, rather than with curved lines?  I assume you were going for a sort of stylized version, but it's harder to represent blockish characters in non-blockish shapes, you know what I mean?

It might be nice if you add a mouth, or some eye shapes... the brow is a little squarer, the ear is fatter rather than pointier... the design you have now is pleasing, and probably recognizable with words, but if you're going for more recognition then I'd stick closer to the actual shape.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006 01:28:16 PM »

This is sort of what I mean, I added a mouth too but I don't know about that.. (just an  ms-paint scetchwork to show my point, so my lines suck)

and my bad scetch means he has one front tooth instead of a side one heh... but it's just a basic... illustration from my behalf

and I do like the curves - just because a game is limited to jagged lines, that doesn't mean that the actual representation needs to be.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011 11:51:15 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
jaded
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006 02:08:08 PM »

yeah... but it's sort of extra nerdy that way : )

meh, personal preference.  maybe not even mine, it was just an accuracy suggestion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006 02:12:43 PM »

yeah... but it's sort of extra nerdy that way : )

Yeah, tech nerdy instead of lore nerdy Wink (I love 'em both!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nevergirl

lalalalalaLAlalalalala

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006 04:11:15 PM »

kate, i love your original stencil! being both a player of wow and good ol warcraft, i totally recognised an orc from your image. it's very classy looking and would look fab on a shirt.. your husband is a lucky dude. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hokiekate
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006 04:11:23 PM »

I had a hard enough time making a curvy orc, I don't know if I could make him jagged.

The eye is a great idea, though.  I'm definitely adding an eye.  Thanks a lot for the suggestion!

« Last Edit: December 10, 2006 04:26:19 PM by hokiekate » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
First Date Makeup Tutorial
Bronzed Look and Bold Lashes Tutorial
How to Get Cool Girl Eyeliner
How to Cover a Blemish
How to Use Scotch Tape to Perfect Liquid Eyeliner
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...