A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 301,541
Currently Running With Scissors:
470 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: M&P soap problem, brown spots  (Read 807 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Vildhavre
« on: December 10, 2006 03:17:23 AM »

Me and my boyfriend has been making some M&P soaps that are meant to be Christmas presents. We've made lavender soap with lavender flowers and lavender essential oil and rose soap with rose blades and rose fragrance oil. Our problem is that the soap gets ugly brown spots after a while! It seems like the lavender flowers turns the soap brown in some places. The rose soap was beautifully white with green and red spots from the roses but now, after a night, its green and brown spotted Cry

What could this be? We've only used dried flowers and leaves. The lavender flowers were bought  especially to be used in soap. We've gotten a fair bit of air bubbles in the soap due to not having rubbing alcohol (what is that stuff anyway?) to spray on. Could that be the problem?  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for a DIY handmade paper kit!
untoherselfalone
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006 03:51:03 AM »

I don't know about the spots but rubbing alcohol is super easy to find. It is sold near the remedies--it is used for minor cuts since it is used to sterilize. Plastic bottle--cheap--medicinal looking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MartinsvilleEmporium

we are all made of stars

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006 08:44:10 PM »

It's the botanicals - even if they're specifically for soap, lavender is notorious for turning brown in M&P. I had people try to eat my lavender soap at the market once because they thought it was caraway cheese.  Roll Eyes

It's fine to use, but not visually appealing.  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://MartinsvilleEmporium.etsy.com ~ Handcrafted Soaps, Soy Wax Candles, Lip Balms, and who knows what else!
Vildhavre
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006 07:28:32 AM »

It's the botanicals - even if they're specifically for soap, lavender is notorious for turning brown in M&P. I had people try to eat my lavender soap at the market once because they thought it was caraway cheese.  Roll Eyes

It's fine to use, but not visually appealing.  Cry

Thanks for the answer! The sope with rose blades turned more and more brown until the soap was completely gross. But the lavender just have a few brown spots. It's good to hear that it's still useable. That way I don't have to redo ALL of my christmas gifts.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nymeria
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006 01:33:09 PM »

We've gotten a fair bit of air bubbles in the soap due to not having rubbing alcohol (what is that stuff anyway?) to spray on. Could that be the problem?  Huh

Rubbing alcohol can be found at the grocery store near the bandages and hydrogen peroxide. It's like $.99 for a large bottle and it's a must have for around the house!!! Great for sterilizing things and LOTS of uses for crafts! I'm big on household items that double as craft supplies. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
Vildhavre
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006 01:52:12 PM »

I maybe should have mentioned that I'm from Sweden so I don't think we can find rubbing alcohol at the grocery store.. but maybe the pharmacy then. There's loads of good stuff that we don't have here  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

starpiste
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006 02:32:39 PM »

rubbing alcohol is also be called isopropyl alcohol and comes in 70% and 99% type. I find sometimes it's behind the counter and not on the shelf so asking a pharmacist might be a good idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nymeria
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006 09:16:11 PM »

I maybe should have mentioned that I'm from Sweden so I don't think we can find rubbing alcohol at the grocery store.. but maybe the pharmacy then. There's loads of good stuff that we don't have here  Undecided

Ah yes! That changes things a bit. When I lived in Asia I had to buy it at the pharmacy and they called it isopropyl. I think my friend in Germany said the same thing. Check it out and see if that works. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Calla Lily Boutonniere
Chris Stone Talks About Berkleemusic
How to Make a Silk Flower Swag
VX Method QuikTip Video #1
How to dance Disco
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky
@Home This Weekend: Mirror Wall
January 21, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...