A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,378
Currently Running With Scissors:
580 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: cheap places for yarn?  (Read 1941 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bamfknitter
« on: December 09, 2006 11:01:24 PM »

I'm going through yarn like whoa lately (Christmas and whatnot), and was wondering if anyone had some ideas on inexpensive places to find yarn.  Michaels sometimes has 40% off coupons in the paper, but my college student budget really should be going towards school related stuff.  The friend that taught me to knit a couple months ago warned me that knitting would be addictive, and damn, she was right!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://cashcrate.com/931389 <-- make money taking surveys on the web.  Get paid MONTHLY to fuel your CRAFT addiction!
In the last 2 weeks of Dec (when I 1st joined) I made over $55USD!
pd8151
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006 06:49:29 AM »

Hey there!  Not sure where you are but when times get tight for me and I want/ need yarn I go to two places. First, the horrendous Walmart, they don't have a great selection but the prices are right.  Second, regardless of tight times or not, every time I go to a thrift store I check for yarn there.  I have found some amazing, never used yarn for 25 cents.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Christina

Check out my blog here:
http://variform-christina.blogspot.com/
NeedleNoodles
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007 03:06:02 PM »

Hmm... I seem to aquire yarn at a horrifying rate, so here are few cheap yarn sources that have worked for me:

1. elderly relatives! (or relatives of friends)

free!, but often moth-eaten, stained, or no longer made

2. thrift store

cheap!, but shares the same problems of elder-yarn

if you're patient, you can sometimes get interesting yarns by tearing down thrift store sweaters.  Just don't bother with anything that looks worn or cheap.

3. freecycle

Again, free!, though it's very much hit-or-miss, and you have to be fast to get the nicer things that people might offer.

4. sales (particularly on out-of-season stock)

The local Jo-anns usually has a few varieties at a significant discount when they're making room for new stock.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lwright311
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007 07:40:29 PM »

One word Dollar Tree.  Well, thats two words but they have yarn.  I have gotten Fun Fur, Fancy Fur, VooDoo, and lots of boucle.  All name brand stuff.  Not sure how they do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kstaron
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008 08:16:56 AM »

the local dollar store (dollar tree, dollar delight,etc.) often have great novelty yarns that look great in simple stitches. 

Ben franklin has some novelty yarns 2 for a $1

Big lots even had yarn for a $1 or $1.50 a while back. (couldn't find any last time I looked tho.)

Also look on ebay, especially if you don't mind acrylic yarn.  You get a lot of crafters realizing the  stash is SABLE (stash acquired beyond life expectancy) and selling off their old project leftovers and the yarn they don't work with anymore.

Seriously the dollar store usually has loads of great stuff. I got lion brand boucle in several different colors a couple of years ago and have made a blanket, a hat, and swim top and have only gone through about half of the $20 bucks I spent.

Just spent another $15 for yarn that will eventually be a child's skirt, 2 hats, and the bulk of a shrug and tank.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gimmemoresalad
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008 09:34:17 PM »

If you're in the Richmond area, keep an eye out for Ben Franklin's clearance  Grin  I work at the Short Pump store, and I've seen some great deals, particularly on Fun Fur and similar.  (Not a knitter, so I usually don't jump on those deals, but I recognize them just the same  Tongue)  They let me keep a whole pack of blue and green eyelash yarn that the labels rotted off of... but somehow the labels rotted and the yarn was perfect, so yay!  I've still got like 10 or 11 out of the original 12 skeins.  (There was a second dozen; my friend kept those).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top 7 Colored Mascaras to Make Eyes Pop
These Vintage Advertisements Are Not Kind To Women
Natural Beauty Products for Your Face, Body and Hair
Healthy Breakfast Oatmeal Recipe
The 411 on Cosmetic Injections
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...