A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
561 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: glass etching w/tape  (Read 1561 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tad1uk
« on: December 09, 2006 03:10:53 PM »

this is my first post. ive been just watching for a long time and read about the glass etching so i went out and bought some stuff to do it. i saw some posts talking about using tape but in the little booklet that came with my stuff it said dont use tape as a stencil. does that mean i cant tape on my glass and cut out an area or design to etch. is masking tape not good for this? or are they just trying to get me to spend more money on sticky stencils and the likes?  Huh thanks
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006 03:24:18 PM by tad1uk » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Baby Bonsai

sequins GALORE!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006 10:53:21 PM »

hmm thats weird. i dont know too much not using tape. But i've used tape beofre but i've also used stencils before. Honestly i dont htink it really matters, however if you want a more delicate design it's better to have it cut out of stencil plastic sheets or if you're cheap like me cookie paper which i glue down to the glass then make sure the ends are down with masking tape.

But yeah i think using masking tape is fine. sorry i hope i'm not adding to the confusion!

BB
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tad1uk
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006 09:10:39 AM »

thanks. that helps. cuz i bought a roll of masking tape only to find it said i shouldnt do it. now i know i havent wasted money!
what do you mean by cookie paper? like parchment or wax paper? improbably just being dumb and know what it is but cant figure it out this moment
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006 09:27:40 AM »

I saw on a craft show last week where a woman used stickers, like dollar store stars and circles, for glass etching. She made polka dot glass with yard sale circle stickers. She also used contact paper and cut out squiggly shapes with an exacto knife. 

She took a pieces of clear glass, put the stickers on it, then the etching cream over the entire glass and stickers then washed it all off. When she was done she had star studded glass and polka dotted glass.  It was cool. I have no idea how long the etching cream stayed on the glass.  Tongue

Based on that my GUESS is that masking tape should work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tad1uk
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006 06:35:35 PM »

excellent. thanks. i was wondering how regular stickers would hold up. i tried the masking tape on practice glass and used about 4 layers of it and cut out a design. it came out pretty well but up close its a bit messy and the lines arent very sharp but it still looks ok. thanks guys for the input!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kristen81
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006 06:41:46 PM »

I have used contact paper (dollar store) and it works wonderfully.  I even taped a pieve of it (wrong side up) to printer paper and ran it through my ink jet to print a design on it to cut out. 

If you have the stuff that has almost a wax paper back (that ink won't adhere to) print a design on paper then tape it over the contact paper and cut out with an exacto knife (on cardboard or a cutting mat).

I then stick the contact paper to the glass object and etch away.  I then leave the contact paper on to rise off my design and peel off after.

I've done tons of stuff this way and have had NO trouble at all, and if you buy the conntact paper at the dollar store it's around $2.  I have used it for stencilling on t-shirts as well (with acrylic paint).

Good Luck!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WISTS!!!!      http://wists.com/KraftyKris

CHECK OUT MY SWAP BLOG:  http://kristen81.blog.ca/

WHAT'S FOR DINNER? - Recipe Blog!!!  http://kristenskitchen.blog.ca
Arashala

Got a razorblade hat with a knife in the brim...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006 04:33:17 PM »

I personally recommend contact paper, like the sticky shelf liner stuff. Although it tends to work great, you really need to make sure that the glass is clean so the paper sticks well (I had an uh-oh with loss of sticky in a spot) and be sure to burnish the edges where the etching cream goes, otherwise you'll have distorted lines that look like paint seepage does.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't matter how you get your love, just make sure that you do, if I can do it bet your ass that you can do it too..." -from Don't Matter

"Just a little slice of heaven....and a little taste of hell..."  -from Slice of Heaven

both by Mama Sweet (kick ass band FYI)
lilfishyinbigblu
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006 04:37:21 PM »

i have only ever used a sand blaster for etching but for that i used hot glue, from what you are describing here i think it would work as well. Just use the glue to free hand what you want, and then but the etching cream on. using the hot glue will give you more controll than cutting tape might. I'm majoring in glass blowing, and hot glue is the official technique we use for etching and such.
hope that helps
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Claire Legrand and The Year of Shadows
Keen On: Writing On The Wall
Team Milkha at Bangalore Literature Festival
Wil Haygood: What Are You Reading?
The Party Bible: Genesis
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...