A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 306,430
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pattern help? (sewing plush toys)  (Read 4397 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sariel
« on: December 09, 2006 08:55:11 AM »

Hi! I've recently decided to branch out from hand-sewing felt dolls to hand-sewing felt animals, but I've got a problem: it's REALLY HARD to find cute animal patterns for free, and I can't draw my own worth anything.  Sad

Does anyone have any recommendations for cute animal patterns, especially for deer/fawns, foxes, or cats? I really need free ones, or at least very cheap; I'm a college student, so I don't have that much money to burn. (In terms of style, my favorite animal plushies are the Japanese felt mascots, but anything cute would be great.)

Thank you very much!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 plushies! If you like my designs, I'm up for discussing swaps or commissions. Smiley

my wists
toque
pinktoque

Creator of GEEKSOAP.net

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006 11:14:31 PM »

i would do a search on these forums - there are tons and tons of super cute felt animal patterns floating around!  Lots of tutes and references to great patterns from japanese craft books.  My favorite is this one:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=10382.0

good luck! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I design geeky, all natural handmade soap known as GEEKSOAP! http://www.geeksoap.net
Portfolio: http://www.thepinktoque.com/
Sariel
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006 06:20:50 AM »

I've been trying, but all I seem to find are finished dolls (which are adorable, but I'm bad at figuring out patterns based on just that), or references to books that I can't afford yet.  Sad Same with Googling for them.

Thank you very much for the link, though!  Cheesy Those are cute, and I'd love to try that pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 plushies! If you like my designs, I'm up for discussing swaps or commissions. Smiley

my wists
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006 01:58:12 PM »

Speaking from experience most japanese stuffies are just a front and pack piece the legs are each one peice and the head is two peices so you're still sewing in 2-d not 3-d.
If you have one you've seen apicture of and like most people here can probably sketch up a pattern pretty easily. Unless it's really complicated.
There's a link somwehere her with mascot patterns in a zip file. I made a pair of sheep from it and it was really easy.
I think it's here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=123552.0
IT's like the third post down. Some are jsut pictures but some are pictures with the pattern next to it. If you have one you like and can't figure out I"ll be glad to help out with it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sariel
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006 06:32:27 PM »

Oh, coolShocked Thank you so much for that link! (And for the information -- I knew that some mascots were just "flat", but I wasn't sure how many of the designs I was seeing were like that. So now I can dig up more of the pictures and try to pattern-ize them. Yay, projects for winter break!  Cheesy)

My favorites from the zip file all seem to have patterns with them, but if I get stuck on one, I'll probably take you up on the offer (or beg people on the forum for help again). *laughs* Thank you again! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wists
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006 07:25:08 PM »

you are welcome. Another good palce to look is on e-bay. Some people take photo's or scans of the craft books and you can sort of figure out how to make the little stuffies. I do recoemend using a cheep cotton or buying wool felt for these guys though. I just made some with the craft felt that comes in pre-cut sheets and it's a bit hard to turn the small peices right side out.
Though if you "blow up" the pattern that shouldn't be a problem. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bond Girl
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006 02:01:28 AM »

I dont know if they'll be what you're looking for exactly what you're looking for but I posted some links to the free patterns I've come across in this thread here, but I can repost them here Smiley

Scotty dog by allsorts, as seen in this thread
Lambkin
minimoopy by Moopy + me.
Mouse pattern by Sewing Stars, which she also posted here in this thread.
Free patterns by Wee Wonderfuls.
I Love my Dog Torso (Japanese), as seen in this thread.

And remember most of these are meant for personal use only Wink 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006 02:10:38 AM by Bond Girl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm very into Britney Spears' early work, before she sold out, so mostly her, um, finger painting and macaroni art.
Sariel
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006 07:09:37 AM »

Eliea: I did a little eBay searching, but that was before I realized the mascots were 2D. I'll have to do that again. Smiley

So far all I use is craft felt rectangles, and I've always been able to flip things, even with tiny openings and lots to get through. I think I'll be good, but if I have trouble, I'll look into higher-quality felt. Smiley

Bond Girl: I'd seen Sewing Stars' mouse before -- and printed it out; it's on my To-Do list once I beat this one fawn pattern I found into shape -- but not the rest. Smiley Thanks!

--oooh, the I Love My Dog one will be perfect for my cousin's birthday, if I can make it. Thank you so much!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wists
Bond Girl
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006 06:02:23 PM »

Bond Girl: I'd seen Sewing Stars' mouse before -- and printed it out; it's on my To-Do list once I beat this one fawn pattern I found into shape -- but not the rest. Smiley Thanks!

--oooh, the I Love My Dog one will be perfect for my cousin's birthday, if I can make it. Thank you so much!  Cheesy

Yeh Sewing Stars' mouse pattern is quite quick and easy and come out so cute! Cheesy  You can see the one I made in that thread I linked too Wink  Don't forget to add yours when you make it, cos I love seeing what everyone comes up with Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm very into Britney Spears' early work, before she sold out, so mostly her, um, finger painting and macaroni art.
Sariel
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006 06:23:28 AM »

Hee! I'll definitely have to, yeah. Smiley (I love yours, by the way. He's cute! Cheesy)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wists
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter F
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter C
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter E
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter A
What Is Graffiti Blockbuster Style
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Your Own Patron Saint
Folding in the New Year!
Tute Tuesday: Joan Jett Inspired Black Heart Soap

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...