A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,392
Currently Running With Scissors:
858 Guests and 45 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Purple Cord Messenger Bag: Needle-Slayer!  (Read 3728 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DivaLea

Turn inside out before laundering!

View Profile WWW
« on: September 25, 2004 10:06:18 PM »

I finally finished my messenger bag! I started in early August. I wanted one that would hold at least a binder, a pad of layout paper, and a box of supplies, plus various pens, a wallet, keys, and a CD player or Palm.

And was STYLISH. My computer bag holds all, but it's logo-fugly.

Materials were all "free": the purple corduroy was from an outgrown pair of my daughter's pants, the lining from a 99c pair of pants from Goodwill bought ages ago and never worn, the patches made from my own art and iron on inkjet paper.
The finished size is about 11" x 13", with a 3" gusset. It has a zippered inside pocket (made using sewpixie's great tute), a large flat pocket, and four smaller ones for pens.

It was top-stitched to a fare-thee-well for shaping. I call this bag "Needle-Slayer", because it broke six needles, five during top-stitching after the lining was inserted (my rusty experience with multiple heavy layers is to blame).
It closes with magnetic snaps. I'm going to add a loop and buttom for the center, as it gaps a bit. More of an asthetic issue than a structural one, and it gives me a reason to take a bash at Chinese knot tying.

I basted the zipper and interior patch using Aleene's No-Sew water-soluble glue. Works GREAT.

Exterior:

Interior, loaded up:

Interior, with stuff out, to show off the pockets:

Interior, zipper pocket. Ain't it pretty? I top-stitched it to the lining for extra strength:

Strap detail. I didn't have enough cord to make the width, so I added lining fabric to the sides for contrast, and used a decorative topstitch. It's sturdy and the width is comfy:

Exterior patch of my character Nan1^1, who will appear in my book "Manga Secrets" next year. I loved this piece of art so much I made an iron-on transfer of it, and put it on heavy cotton, pinked the edges, and used a "cross stitch" decorative stitch for a lacy effect:

What do you do when you put a magnetic snap in the wrong spot and you have a hole? You add a patch and pretend like you meant it that way all long. This patch is of my hairless ratties Darwin and Wasabi, made and applied the same way as the Nan patch:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2004 07:41:27 PM by DivaLea » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lea
Mandalu
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2004 10:10:58 PM »

Very nice. I like the patches and that the inside zipper pocket is a different color/pattern than the rest of the lining.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dalaimama

In the spring the grass grows all by itself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2004 11:52:31 PM »

Great job!  I *love* all the inside pockets to organize your stuff and the patches are really cute too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come Visit My Online Shop! Bella Dia Designs
ilovepaper
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2004 02:45:22 AM »

Divalea made a new bag, Hooray!
It is so awesome.
I was looking at the inside patch and I thought "that looks so random and cool, why don't I ever think of stuff like that". HA! You shouldn't have told us it was a cover up.
Anyway, love the artwork, love the bag... nice job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DivaLea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2004 11:46:31 AM »

Very nice. I like the patches and that the inside zipper pocket is a different color/pattern than the rest of the lining.  Grin

Thanks. I think I came up with the patches myself, the coordinating pocket inside idea I got right here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lea
DivaLea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2004 11:49:23 AM »

Great job!  I *love* all the inside pockets to organize your stuff and the patches are really cute too.

Thank yeh. I had to open up my useful-but-not stylish computer bag for ideas (it has a LOT of cool pockets).

Anyone who has access to an inkjet and some tranfer paper could make badass patches. The iron-on transfers (once applied) are heat-resistant enough that the back can have Wonder-Under applied to make a true iron-on patch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lea
DivaLea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2004 11:51:36 AM »

Divalea made a new bag, Hooray!
It is so awesome.
I was looking at the inside patch and I thought "that looks so random and cool, why don't I ever think of stuff like that". HA! You shouldn't have told us it was a cover up.
Anyway, love the artwork, love the bag... nice job.

Hee! I have a bag-making groupie!
I was gonna put that patch somewhere anyway, but the hole from the bad clasp placement cinched it. I love little extra touches like that in clothes and accessories.

And hey, I told you, so YOU can rescue a lining, and YOU won't have to tell! It'll be our secret.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lea
SewPixie
FOC Bandit #12

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2004 04:10:33 PM »

Shocked OH MY! I love it! Purple *drools*. Awesome awesome job on the whole thing! I really like the strap, great idea to still use some of the cord in the middle, oh heck great idea on the whole thing! I think I have that same cord, I got it at Goodwill. *note to self to see if there is any left*

I really need to start using magnetic snaps. DH keeps saying that i'd ruin anything sensitive to magnets, but really i doubt they are strong enough for that. anyone know?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:See profile for blog & Flickr info!:.
DivaLea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2004 04:34:21 PM »

Shocked OH MY! I love it! Purple *drools*. Awesome awesome job on the whole thing! I really like the strap, great idea to still use some of the cord in the middle, oh heck great idea on the whole thing!

That's awesome to hear, 'cause you're a rockin' sewer!
I used your idea of the decorative stitch on the zipper, too. Since the stitch is wide, I sewed to catch the edge of the fabric, and the whole assembly lays super flat.

I really need to start using magnetic snaps. DH keeps saying that i'd ruin anything sensitive to magnets, but really i doubt they are strong enough for that. anyone know?

I had a purse that used magnets to close and never had a problem.
Aesthetically, I prefer them to velcro.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lea
cheekylilcraftsta

To imagine is to create

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2004 03:01:58 AM »

i LOVE IT!!!...did you use a tutorial?? i've been looking for a messenger bag tut but haven't found any i really like...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Dress Your Table with Bread and Nuts
Center of the Table Decoration
How to Make a Kirigami Tree
How to Make a Kirigami Dragon Fly
How to Make a Kirigami Snowflake
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...