A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
358 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What is your perfect bag?  (Read 864 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sharre
life ain't always beautiful but its a beautiful ride

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 08, 2006 11:41:24 PM »

I have been in desperate need of a new hand bag for awhile now, and having searched through numerous shops and patterns, I have come to the conclusion that I will never find that ever elusive, perfect handbag that I continue to envision.

So in order to draft a pattern and make myself this perfect bag, I am writing up a list of requirements.

This got me wondering, how do other craftsters see their perfect bag? What features do you think are absolutely essential? Does it have to be red? have five pockets? be handwoven by a million blind monkeys at a loom? Wink

Ok so my perfect bag would have to be:

large enough to carry all the stuff I usually carry around and 600ml bottle of soft drink. Why? because years of shopping experience have taught me that a handbag will not last long on my arm if it cannot cope with this.

has to have an adjustable shoulder strap for hands free carrying, long enough to be worn across the body. Ideally, the bag itself sits just at the hip.

it has to have a loop near the top where I can clip my keys. I am forever doing the 'pull everything out in order to unlock the door' routine.

The majority of pockets should be internal unless they have set in zips, clean lines are key.

The shape should be relatively square.

Heavy duty is a must

How do you see your perfect bag?

« Last Edit: December 10, 2006 01:30:41 AM by sharre » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog and I are getting reacquainted

Desperate desire for 4 skeins of Knitpicks Bare Merino Wool/Silk Fingering Weight and Knitscene Fall 2007. Willing to oblige? PM me to work out a deal
thebagfairy
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006 12:01:45 AM »

As much of a bagaholic as I am, I usually only use one of two purses out of my collection. They're shallow enough to where I don't have to dig for my wallet, though with room for a hairbrush, cellphone, keys, and shopping list, too. Also the handle has to sit on my shoulder without slipping off constantly- I totally can't stand that! lol A shallow, slight-trapezoid shape and two handles seems to be ideal, with a cell phone and zip pocket on the inside.

The perfect bag depends on the carrier's lifestyle - stash n' go, super-organized, slouchy, structured, frilly, no fuss...etc, etc...and also on the occasion and one's outfit-nothing's simple with fashion Huh

interesting subject Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marleah
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006 08:17:15 AM »

Well, I have found that different situations call for different bags, so I have multiple "perfect bags" in mind.

The first, for school ... (I usually carry a small messenger AND a backpack, leaving the backpack at my on campus work and just taking the smaller one to class)

- Large enough to fit a medium size textbook, an envelope file, spiral notebook, etc.

- Has smaller pockets to hold wallet, checkbook, keys, cell phone, etc. (I've had trouble with totes because when I would go to put a textbook back in, my phone and everything small would be in the way and get smashed)

- A strap that fits across my body (much easier to carry when I have my backpack in addition to this bag)

My current messenger bag has all of the above, BUT I wish that it was a canvas material instead of whatever it's made of (maybe a thin vinyl). If it was canvas with a plain front, then I could embroider something on it to personalize it. And I don't sew, so I can't make my perfect messenger yet.

My purse has a different set of requirements. I think I've actually found the perfect purse for me - I got it at Target. It's a medium sized bag with a shoulder strap, and it can fit my wallet, checkbook, cell phone, a paperback, maybe even a skein of yarn and a crochet hook if I want to bring a project with me. It's a rusty orange color, so it's bright enough to be fun.

it has to have a loop near the top where I can clip my keys. I am forever doing the 'pull everything out in order to unlock the door' routine.

This purse has also solved that problem for me, because it has a kind of hidden outer pocket with a zipper that goes along one of the outer seams. I put my keys (a huge honking ring of keys) in that pocket, and then I always know where they are.

Wow, this is a bit longer than I expected it to be, but I take my bags seriously!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spiderlady
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006 12:15:27 PM »

Ah, the eternal question.  For years, I bought purses compulsively, somehow convinced that if I had the perfect bag, my life would be perfect.  Of course, it never happened.  But one of the reasons I make so many of my own bags is because I am so god-awfully picky about what I want in a bag.  So here are my basic requirements:
1. It has to have a long strap so I can wear it cross-body--and since I am long-waisted, my straps need to be longer than most.  Whoever invented the short-shoulder style never had to sling one on over a heavy coat.
2. The perfect dimensions for me tend to be 10" high by 9" wide and 1" to 2" deep.  I like a slim profile in a purse.  And I don't like really big bags.
3. Interior pockets are great, but I usually only add one, so I can find my cell phone in a hurry.
4. I line my purses with a light-colored fabric, so I don't feel as if I'm searching a black hole for my stuff.
5. Absolute no-no's include: double straps (one is always falling off my shoulder); double compartments (I invariably open the wrong one); and all the chains/padlocks/various other types of "bling" that seems to be all over purses these days.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am an apologist for the spiders.

Just treat me no differently than you would the Tarantula Queen.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Manga Step by Step
How to Do the Graffiti Letter I
How to Do Love Graffiti
How to Draw Chibi Faces
How to Draw Skulls
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...