A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
526 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 77
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New Knitty's Calorimetry  (Read 109407 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Iellwen
« Reply #540 on: February 05, 2007 04:16:06 PM »

The flat Cal in the picture has, by my count, 26 ribs.  Each of those consists of two columns of stitches.
26 x 2 = 52.  Good job.
There are also two columns in each of the lowered sections.
52 x 2 = 104.

If I'm doing this right, not even the Cal in the picture is made to the pattern.  It has a hundred and four CO, not the posted one hundred and twenty. 

It is also not the one on the model's head, which has green in it.

That's my take on it.  Correct my calculations if need be.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Quad Mom
« Reply #541 on: February 05, 2007 09:44:58 PM »

You'll also note that the fit of the model's Calorimetry looks distinctly different from the way most everyone else's Cal seems to fit.  So many people have posted pics where the Calorimetry is covering almost their entire head, whereas the model's Cal is covering a significantly smaller portion of her noggin'.  There's no way the model's Calorimetry is made as wide as the pattern directs. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007 09:52:04 PM by Quad Mom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quad Mom's Happy-Goodness Bloggie:
http://qmchronicles.blogspot.com/
leppardess

my cats walk all over me...

View Profile
« Reply #542 on: February 05, 2007 10:25:26 PM »

The flat Cal in the picture has, by my count, 26 ribs.  Each of those consists of two columns of stitches.
26 x 2 = 52.  Good job.
52 x 2 = 104.

If I'm doing this right, not even the Cal in the picture is made to the pattern.  It has a hundred and four CO, not the posted one hundred and twenty. 

I saved the pic and enlarged it so I could count the stitches and there's nothing wrong with your math. I counted 104 also.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
geetargeek

Will knit for food.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #543 on: February 05, 2007 10:42:16 PM »

26 x 2 = 52.  Good job.
52 x 2 = 104.

I was actually wondering about this myself but I am not so good with the numbers  Wink.  I'm glad you did it  Grin

Does anyone know if Knitty has people test the pattern before they publish it? 

I love that they empasize the need to get the correct guage which is "20 sts / 22 rows = 4 inches in 2x2 Rib, lightly stretched".  "Lightly stretched" is open to interpretation.  They really should include a guage in plain stockinette for better accuracy.  That's my opinion, though I am a guage rebel!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look!  I'm on the internets!:
http://quetaknits.wordpress.com/ - My knit/crochet blog!
http://geetargeek.livejournal.com/ - Friends-only, so add me!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/geetargeek/ - eye candy!
http://www.ravelry.com/people/geetargeek - Ravelry!
xamonster

"Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #544 on: February 06, 2007 08:03:06 AM »

Does anyone know if Knitty has people test the pattern before they publish it? 

Some of Knitty's designers are regulars in the Knitty Coffeeshop (the message board), and occasionally calls come out for people to test knit patterns. Calls for pattern testers are usually filled up within a few minutes, I think, so there's a lot of interest. I think the responsibility, in the end, is up to the designers. There isn't anything specific that I saw in Knitty's submission guidelines, though. Hope that was helpful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I brought you flours."

Check out my blog and my wist!
isisfae
New England Yarn Addict

i poke badgers with spoons!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #545 on: February 06, 2007 09:43:37 AM »

Also, I have to chime in on Knitty's disclaimer. I think that the pattern designer should take a serious look at her original gauge swatch and maybe make a new Cal, following her pattern exactly. Also, they should tone down the snarkiness in the pattern note. I love Calorimetrys, but I hate the nasty, we-can't-possibly-be-wrong tone of the disclaimer.

i just went back to the pattern and read it... and omg it was snippy! like "we are right, you are wrong" and assuming that a knitter who reads knitty might be a beginner, and that everyone who has ever had issues with the pattern is just mentally challenged or illiterate *rme*

i don't check gauge... but i've been knitting long enough to know that 120 stitches on size 8s using any kind of yarn is just too much for a headband. and i've knitted it using bulky yarn on 10.5s and needed to use 70 sts to make it just right for not only my head, but my best friend's head! (she loves hers btw)

i could see 90 sts on size 8s using bulky yarn being just right... but 120 is still too big (plus bulky yarn on size 8s = too tight stitches and wicked sore hands)

as for the line about using a resilient yarn with lots of spring... i used patons SWS that stuff is very resilient and keeps it shape well... i also used a marino/alpaca/silk blend that's also very springy... i used 120 sts, i ended up having to felt the SWS one to make it fit and frog and rework the alpaca one. so it's definitely not my yarn selection that's causing the problem

i still love this pattern... i have a ball of red heart casual cot'n in "preppy" (an awesome pink/green colorway) that i want to turn into a summer version.

but yeah... they need to change the tone of that disclaimer!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. ~Mark Twain
Anomaleah
« Reply #546 on: February 06, 2007 10:18:01 AM »

I read the pattern through from the beginning description to the material requirements and the disclaimer. It didn't come across as snarky to me, just some more tips to be mindful of.

Perhaps frustration is colouring some of the views?

Before I make this pattern, I'll have to finish my neckwarmer.  Right now  wearing my hair down is what's keeping it warm. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
graciedoo
« Reply #547 on: February 06, 2007 01:16:57 PM »

Maybe, but if so many people are having problems with this, Knitty should check the pattern instead of just saying that you have to get exact gauge. I got the correct gauge and used good yarn on both my Cals, but both came out too long and a bit lopsided. Also, it concerns me that the Cal in the photo has less stitches than the pattern calls for and that the gauge isn't listed in stockinette.

Okay, rant over.  Cheesy 120 stitches just doesn't make sense as a CO for an object that goes on your head.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xamonster

"Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #548 on: February 06, 2007 03:15:19 PM »

Maybe, but if so many people are having problems with this, Knitty should check the pattern instead of just saying that you have to get exact gauge. I got the correct gauge and used good yarn on both my Cals, but both came out too long and a bit lopsided. Also, it concerns me that the Cal in the photo has less stitches than the pattern calls for and that the gauge isn't listed in stockinette.

Okay, rant over.  Cheesy 120 stitches just doesn't make sense as a CO for an object that goes on your head.

I do know that it's not just Craftsters realizing there's an issue with the Cal. problem there's a thread on the Knitty board about it, too. I kind of wonder, though I hate to think it, if maybe the designer was ignoring the "maybe you could clarify this" emails or something, as it took so long for an update. But the Knitty gals are working hard at the upcoming issue, so who knows?

I don't really think that the object on the model's head matches the one that's laid out flat, gauge-wise ... but it's really just hard to say. Maybe the designer's normal tension is just really different from most people's. It's difficult to pin down which of the factors were making the pattern come out too long for so many people, but I think that it shows that we have ingenuity, that we Craftsters can just say, "oh, well I'll just adjust it here and here and it will come out fine" or "I'll add a bunch of buttons and it'll look even cuter" or something like that.

Really, it's all good. Just a little confusing. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I brought you flours."

Check out my blog and my wist!
WitchCatXeen

life's a joke, so make fun of it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #549 on: February 06, 2007 03:21:06 PM »

Heya all! Question time!

I'm almost done with my Cleaves, gotta run out tonight to get one more ball of Lion Band Jiffy (not thick 'n quick) in finish it up.  I'll have tons of leftovers and would love to make a Calorimetry to match.  Everyone has so many different variations here - what is everyone's opinions on Jiffy for this? Would it work on size 9 needles?  I've got a smallish head (as in: hard to find well fitting hats).  Whose pattern variation should I use?

I'm not the experimental type, but go ahead and tell me to shut up and just experiment with what I've got.  But, you know, I just wanted somewhere to start.

Oh, and I didn't think their gauge warning sounded snarky/snippy/rude/etc.  But that's just me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 77 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
4 Summer Style Tips
Does Wearing Red Make You Sexier?
Jennifer Lopez Inspired Elegant Updo Hair Tutorial
How to Apply Summer Makeup
Hottest Summer Beauty And Style Secrets
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...