A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,165
Currently Running With Scissors:
379 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 77
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New Knitty's Calorimetry  (Read 112607 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jnnfrb
« Reply #530 on: February 04, 2007 03:54:58 AM »

Well its almost 7 in the mornin and I just finished my first cal. I must be an awful slow knitter because I started this thing at midnight. It's my first not a scarf project and I think it turned out pretty good. It is a dusty rose color. I dont know what the yarn is, my gran gave it to me without a label.  I am lovin all the pics up here, they are all turnin out so good. Will post pics later, must get sleep now, good night, good mornin.... You get the point!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dancingbarefoot
« Reply #531 on: February 04, 2007 08:31:24 AM »

it does sort of sound like, "Well you didn't follow it right the first time.  So no wonder it didn't work out for you.'   Tongue

It doesn't surprise me. Knitty used to be a friendly site, but now they're very snarky and clique-y. Angry

How lucky for us at Craftster that we can figure out gauge without Knitty holding our hand for us.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1. All fungi are edible.
2. Some fungi are not edible more than once.
~~Terry Pratchett~~

my blog | index of free machine knitting patterns
*k*
« Reply #532 on: February 04, 2007 01:26:50 PM »

inspired by all the rest of you, I have just finished my first calorimetry, which is also my first wearable knitted FO (aside from a gifted scarf).

I used Paton's Soy Wool Stripes in the Natural Earth color.  I decided to try it with 120 st cast on, since my gauge was very much on the small side.  Even with smaller gauge, mine is still pretty big.  I only did 10 repeats of row 5 (vs. the 15 repeats called for in the pattern), and it's STILL really wide.

With all that said, I actually like it and will probably wear it non-stop during this rediculously blistering cold.  I might try again with different yarn with the 80 stitch modification

Here are my pics:

On a side note about the yarn:

Has anyone else who has used SWS found that it reminds them of hair or is it just me?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rearranged
« Reply #533 on: February 04, 2007 04:28:06 PM »

Finished my second this morning. 120 stitches on size 4US/3,5mm Donna Scheepjes, 50% merino 50% acrylic, 12 repeats of row 5

(Excuse the "fresh from the shower in my jammies"-look!)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007 04:48:23 PM by Rearranged » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Quad Mom
« Reply #534 on: February 04, 2007 06:18:42 PM »

Rearranged, yours looks very posh, what with the dove gray color and the merino wool.  It looks like a calorimetry that you could wear with something dressy!  Nice!

*k*, what a great 2nd project!  There's no way I could've knit a cal as my 2nd project (I had a very steep learning curve figuring out how to knit)!  And yes, the Paton's SWS does seem like hair at times!   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quad Mom's Happy-Goodness Bloggie:
http://qmchronicles.blogspot.com/
Iellwen
« Reply #535 on: February 04, 2007 06:41:40 PM »

Anyone having issues wearing these at school? 

I've made about six, and I wear one just about every day.  None of my teachers have made a big deal about it, but four, by my count, have told me to, "Take that hat off."  Two were okay when I showed them the back, but the other two said take it off anyway.

Anyone else?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cherith

...some secrets are better left undiscovered...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #536 on: February 04, 2007 09:32:37 PM »

Just finished my second one of these last night.  I made a few adjustments - garter sticth and fewer repeats.  It turned out far more like a headband, which is what I was going for.  I also decided to add a ribbon, so it'll have a little color.  This is just some left over black acrylic that I had around, and it's turned out much warmer so far then the moda dea I used before.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

LiveJournal DeviantArt
The Church of Craft for Kansas City!
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work."  ~Aristotle
Violet
constantly craftsterbating

and a half

View Profile WWW
« Reply #537 on: February 05, 2007 10:49:55 AM »

everyone's cals look great! i still haven't restarted mine, but i will soon! (the ironic thing is, i ripped it out because i accidentally didn't cast on enough, then i came here and realized it probably would have been perfect as it was! oops)

for those of you who like patons SWS, you might also want to check out SWTC Karaoke. it's wool/soy too, but they have different colorways that are really pretty and would make a great cal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my knitting blog: http://violetsknits.blogspot.com
preg_replace('/(.{49})/', '$1 ', '........................................................')
boycott sew fast, sew easy! visit www.freetostitchfreetobitch.org
graciedoo
« Reply #538 on: February 05, 2007 02:18:12 PM »

Anyone having issues wearing these at school? 

I thought I'd have trouble wearing mine at school, but I wore it through a whole day without any problems.
If you keep having issues with it, remind them that it's not a hat, no matter what it looks like. Would they call you out on it if it was a plastic or fabric headband of the same width? I doubt it. I think you're just having trouble because it looks a bit like a knit hat.

Also, I have to chime in on Knitty's disclaimer. I think that the pattern designer should take a serious look at her original gauge swatch and maybe make a new Cal, following her pattern exactly. Also, they should tone down the snarkiness in the pattern note. I love Calorimetrys, but I hate the nasty, we-can't-possibly-be-wrong tone of the disclaimer.

I bought a skien of Araucania Nature Wool a few weeks ago, and I've been thinking about making it into a Cal. It's a bright, bright varigated lime green and it's been sitting on my desk, begging to be knit... I'll probably start in a few days.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xamonster

"Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #539 on: February 05, 2007 04:07:57 PM »

It doesn't surprise me. Knitty used to be a friendly site, but now they're very snarky and clique-y. Angry

How lucky for us at Craftster that we can figure out gauge without Knitty holding our hand for us.  Tongue

I would like to point out that I find Knitty to be a very friendly site; I enjoy spending time there as much as I do here. (Just my opinion. Cheesy )

I do think the disclaimer on the Cal. pattern was a quite snippy sounding, though.

I think the issue I had regarding yarn was that, when I looked up Filatura di Crosa 127 Print on Yarndex, I assumed that it is a middle-of-the-road worsted weight yarn (as opposed to light worsted or heavy worsted, not middle-of-the-road yarn quality), as it had US 7 and US 8 needles listed for gauge. I chose another yarn that I consider to be middle-of-the-road worsted -- KnitPicks Wool of the Andes -- to do my first Cal. I came to discover just now that the Filatura di Crosa 127 Print listing on Jimmy Beans Wool describes the yarn as chunky, which would explain the smaller gauge on US 8 needles listed in the pattern.

This makes me think that, for patterns in general, it would be immensely helpful if the designer listed both the stockinette gauge and the special pattern gauge (the 2x2 rib, lightly stretched in the Cal. pattern). It would be entirely helpful, especially when substituting different yarns than specified for the project.

That said, I'm wearing one of my so-short-it's-almost-straight Calorimetrys today, which has little cable twists on one side of the rib. I've made four, so despite the alterations I've had to make to get the Cal. to fit, it hasn't deterred me in the slightest from making one of my own. My biggest irritation was that it took so long for the designer to get back to Knitty and say, "Hey, add this to the pattern for me." (Either that or Amy and the others at Knitty hadn't had time to update it, which could quite possibly be the case, as Amy has a new book coming out soon.

Anyway, happy crafting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I brought you flours."

Check out my blog and my wist!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 77 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Straighten Crooked Photos in Photoshop
How to Remove Tattoos in Photoshop
How to Create a Simple Levitation in Photoshop
How to Create a Tan in Photoshop
How to Add Sound in Adobe After Effects CS3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...